News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wheels for disc brakes

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2007-09-19 19:20

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

Does anyone have a list of 14" steel rims 5.5 or 6 in wide that can be used with 79 Granada disc brakes?? Junk yards up here will not talk to you unless you can supply year and model looking for. 14" 5 on 4.5 and 5.5 or 6 wide just dosen't cut it up here . Than again they probley rather sell a rice burner engine than screw around with a old fart looking for a couple of rims.   bawl
    Thanks in advance

T 8)M  :unitedstates:  :burnout:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

shopratwoody

Tom,
I used some wheels while painting my car. They were 14", looked to be 6" wide. They were from a 75 or 6 Maverick. They worked
withh my Torino Discs fine. So should work with yours  :001:
Later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

shopratwoody

Tom,
Forgot to mention, 70's Granadas..my 78 Ranchero had 14's originally. That should include T'birds and Cougars" Mavs etc.
I know it's getting harder to find these things. My 14"x6" 5 spoke Americans clear mine also
Good Luck, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

292dual4s

The steelies on my 57 I pulled off of a Granada, and they are 14 x 6. Just about any Ford 74 and newer that came with 14s, and five lugs I've found use the wheels you want. They all have the large hole in the center of the rims to clear the Granada/T-bird/Cougar/Torino brakes. I got them knowing I was going to upgrade eventually. 

57 Ford Kustom

The problem I have is when calling the junk yard they want to know about the same amount of info that going to a parts store in a mall needs you know every thing except paint color and brand of seat covers. Tryed 4 different yards Sat. using the info Ron gave me and their confuize can not come up with anything or all their wheels are in a big pile. So I have almost made up my mine to get a set of white spoke wheels paint them and run hub caps.

T 8)M  :unitedstates:  :burnout:

JimNolan

Tom,
   Just found out something that might be helpful to you. The inside diameter of a 14 inch rim in the back is approximately 13 5/8 inches. As long as it keeps that diameter for most of the backspace distance it will work on a disc brake setup. I now can glance at a rim and know if it's going to work. The rims I'm using are fomoco rims with 487 stamped on them. I've tried to find out what the 487 means but I'm unable to decode that information. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57 Ford Kustom

Jim  :006:
     I gave up looking and got a set of 4 chrome wheels 14X6 from Summit for $51 each no shipping charge, I think there was a $ 10 handleing charge .So for $214 I got 4 new wheels delivered to my doorstep.

T 8)m