News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Custom 300 weight

Started by chero69gt, 2012-10-26 17:19

Previous topic - Next topic

chero69gt

I just had my 57 Custom 300 weighed and what they came up with
sounds pretty light to me.
  My 57 has a 390 with headers and an aluminum intake. It has no
power steering, a/c or anything. Even the heater and defroster ducting
has been removed, so as you can see, its pretty well stripped.
It does however have a full interior.
    They scale said it weighs 3260 lbs.  I have a hard time believing its
that light.  What do you guys think?

Thanks,  Roger 

JPotter57

Awesome.  390 is not as heavy as the brand x people say it is.  An aluminum intake will get it weighing pretty close to what an iron intake 351W weighs, about 535 lbs, barely more than a 350 chev.  The 57 sedan body is the lighter of all the 57 bodies, so yeah, with a stripped down car, I can believe 3200-3300 lbs without driver.  If my y block Custom gets anywhere near that weight, I will be thrilled.  Of course, I have glass fenders, hood, trunklid, no rollup rear glass, package tray, pretty much like a business sedan, but still has the heavy bench seat, and the Y block, which weighs over 600 lbs itself.  I did ditch the stock iron 3 speed for an aluminum T5 5 speed.  I will be using some aluminum wheels on it, front only for the time being until I get the green for some matching ones.  I have a lot of stuff to buy for my F-code 312 first, so some of the stuff has to wait. 
Where did you have it weighed?  Drag strip, truck stop?  Landfill scales?  It would be interesting to see what it would weigh on a different set of scales.  If there is another in your area, try it and post the results back here.  I didnt think these cars should weigh too much, maybe 3400-3500 or so.  There is a bad white Custom, tubbed with an aluminum headed 521 big block, he says it weighs 3800 lbs, I just cant see it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

wv 57s forever

mine tipped the scales at Columbus at 3870 with me in it so that makes it a little over 3500 without me.

:burnout:
     :burnout:

57AGIN

Chero69gt:
I had my Custom 300, Tudor with a 351 W aluminum heads & intake manifold, Borg-WarnerT-10 transmission, weighed at the drag strip.  Mine is fully upholstered with Dyno Mat sound deadner, so it isn't stripped down at all for racing.  It weighed in at 3700 lbs., without me in it.

Bob
57 AGIN

57 Ford Kustom

57AGIN,
   What headers, if any, did you use on that 351 w?
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57AGIN

57 Ford Custom:

Dougs tri-Y originally designed for a 65 Fairlane,

Bob
57 AGIN

57 Ford Kustom

Bob,
   Was it a bolt on, or did you have to modify them?
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

gasman826

Manufacturer's shipping weight on a base model (Custom Tudor, 6 cylinder, 3 speed, delete everything) was under 3000.

With no springs, no brake drums, no steering box, no exhaust and no gas tank, business coupe rear windows, new glass, heater and ducts removed, all reduce weight.

Additions like frame reinforcement and 9" housing, bigger tires, bigger radiator, insulation, more wiring, AC, bigger battery, air bag pumps, tank and control system, fuel pump and lines, 460 with Lakewood, clutch and Tremec add a little weight even with aluminum transmission case, heads, intake, and waterpump all rolled over the scale at 3695 with a full tank (44 gals!)....without me or the wife's luggage.

JPotter57

The shipping weight was exaggerated for shipping purposes, less weight=less $$ to ship autos to market.  I read that somewhere a while back.  All the automakers did it, listed their cars at less than curb weight.  Curb weight is actually closer to what it really weighs, as that is weight with a full tank, full of coolant and ready to go.
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

57 Ford Custom:

As I recall, I had Doug's design and build the headers in their shop, when it was located in Anaheim.  They did have to modify the header nearest the steering box, but the installer said it was a minor mod only.  I personally like the sound of a four into one setup, but the tri-Y is a good street type of header.

Zapato

The tri-y worked and sounded great in the original Shelby GT350s.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

chero69gt

I just thought I would let everyone know that I had my 57 weighed again,
at a different scale and came out at only 30 lbs different. Most of that can
be explained by me having more fuel in the tank this last time.
It came in at 3290 lbs.  It still seems about 250 lbs less than I expected ,
but, I must have guessed high.

Roger

JPotter57

Thats cool to hear.  I will take mine as soon as it is self-mobile and see how much difference fiberglass panels make.
Old, loud, and fast.

4banger

My 2 dr sedan with the 427 goes 3640 with out driver.

RICH MUISE

Kind of an old post, but I just thought to check out the weight of the Lincoln Mark viii I'll be pulling my drive train out of. To compare, as posted above,the '57's weigh 3500ish...the Mark viii weighs in at a hefty 4921 lbs. I had no idea there was that much difference....kinda excites me a little...no, a bunch. The Marks were no speed demons except for top end, but they had enough giddy-up even with that 4900lbs. to make me think the stock 4.6 ain't gonna be no slouch in a '57.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe