News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

what is the largest 15" tire that will fit on a 57 Ford?

Started by Hi Skool Hairy, 2012-10-30 10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Skool Hairy

Hi-- I've decided to remove my 14" Bias tires 8.00-14 and replace them with 15" radials and either get the 2"+ white wall or raised letter whites. I have purchased a set of Cragen style wheels, so I will also need to sell my cruiser skirts. My concern is, what is the best size tire to safely fit and have decent clearance on  my Fairlane 500 2 Door HT. that does not have power steering. Thanks for any help!

Ford Blue blood

I have 215 X 15 X 70s on my Ranchwagon and they just squeeze in without disconnecting the shocks.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

robhaerr

Bill...

Do you have a photo of your Ranch Wagon with those tires? (I will be looking in the gallery section)

I am using 215 60 15...might change to 65 or 70 on the back...not sure, really don't want to raise the back of my wagon.

Thanks...
Rob

Hi Skool Hairy

Thanks for the info- does the ranch wagon have a little different suspension & weight than the  500 2 door Hard Top or are they the same, as well as fender well clearance.? I'm assuming & could be wrong that the Hard top & convertible for that year are probably the same. I've had plenty of rubbing of tires on fenders and frames in the past. Has anyone notice an enhanced ride or handling with the radial over the bias tires, I've heard both sides on the subject.

dgasman

I run 225/70/15s on the rear of my ranchwagon and ranchero with out any issues. I have used 6 and 7 inch rims with this size of tire, currently I have 7 inch on now.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

Hi Skool Hairy

Has anyone used 15"x 8" wide mags with any success?? And what tire size.Thanks

gasman826

If they ain't rubin'...they ain't big enough.

Really...how much you want for the skirts.  Picture?  Location?

gasman826

Frankenstein57

I have 15x7 explorer wheels with 215/65/15 radials. The wheel measured closer to 7 1/2 though. This car could stand a little more wheel and tire, but the handling is excellent.  Winter upgrades will include a better sway bar.  Mark

57AGIN

Hi School Hairy:

I posted the following response to a similar question back in February:

57AGIN
Global Moderator
`57 Addict

Re: Cragar SS 15x8 w. 4.25 BS and 235/70s on a Custom?

? Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:32:09 PM ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ford_Crazy:

My Custom 300 has the following front & rear Cragar SS setup.

Front   Cragar 15x7.0 5/4.50-4.75-5 STD S/S-Cragar  (info on the order form) mounted with P225/60R15 BF Goodrich T/A Radials.

Rear     Cragar 15X8.0 5/4.50-4.75-5 STD S/S-Cragar mounted with P255/60R15 BF Goodrich T/A Radials.

Pictures below.  I did have to trim the inner fender well lip on the rear a bit to fit the rear tires in and have to undo the shocks, rear shackle and drop the axle housing to get the tires in or out.  Up front, I found that with the wider 60 series tires I had to put a 1/2" spacer between the rim and front disc brakes due to occasional rubbing in tight turns.

Hope this helps with your decisions.  I saw a response the other day on a similar question about the back spacing available on the Cargar S/S mags.  I didn't actually measure my backspacing, but the sales guy said it was the maximum done by Cragar and had 4.5" back spacing.  Good luck.

Bob
57AGIN

Hi Skool Hairy

Hey thanks for the info, I think I need to find someone with a car rack lift that they will allow to use so I can check things out, & do some measuring. I'm in S. Ca. do we have any other members in the area?

57AGIN

Hi School Harry:

There are probably 7 or 8 57 Fords International members out here in Southern California.  There are at least 100 57 Ford owners Rick and I have run into at any number of car shows or a few years ago at the now defunct California Speedway drag racing weekends put on by the Florida based Fun Ford Weekend people.I'm in Los Alamitos, CA near Long Beach and would be glad to meet with you to share info.  Here's a few photos of the 57 as it is now, lots of fun.

Bob
57 AGIN

57 Ford Kustom

WOW!
   With an engine compartment that nice, I'd drive around without a hood! Nice job! :003:
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

but Tim..your wife might fall into the engine compartment on those left turns.
Bob...looks like you had a pro photographer do your car??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Rich,
   You r right! We couldn't have that! I guess a glass hood would be a better option, You know, like on the car in greese.
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.