News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bolt/srew thread sizes?

Started by Limey57, 2012-11-04 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

I need new bolts for the door hinges (hinges to door post and hinges to door) and also the bolts that screw the load area panel down (57 Ranchero).  Unfortunately we use the metric system over here (apart from road signs!) so any imprial sized bols are special-order, so I can't just go to the DIY store and pick up a load of bolts to find the right size....

Is there a chart oline that lists 57 Ford thread sizes?  Or does anyone know what size they are?

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

The door hinge bolts are SAE 5/16-24. I ordered some stainless flanged hex head x 3/4 long at fastenal.
I don't have a Ranchero, so can't help with the "load area panel".
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

They are the same 5/16 X 24.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Limey57

Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

Caution on the stainless bolts!  Having an aluminum intake, I wanted to use stainless bolts or studs.  I compared the torque specs on the stainless fasteners at Fastenal.  The stainless was significantly lower.  Hate to see your doors fall off!!!!!!!!  ARP bolts are completely different and much more money.  I wanted to dress up my aluminum water pump pulley with stainless button bolts...$62.50!!!!!!!!!!!!

RICH MUISE

but compared to what...5's?...8's? Don't forget the China factor. Having spent 20 years in machine shop, I don't think I ever ran into a stainless that was lacking in the toughness department. I know there are diferent grades of everything, but in real life availability nowadays for common hardware, try finding a screw or bolt that wasn't made in China, without having to order in everything. One of the reasons I decided to go stainless everywhere I could was it's comparative toughness over hardware store plated chinese crap.

Limey57

I'm going to surce them through the supplier we use at work.  We manufacture overhead line electricity supply products & using el-cheapo bolts is a no-no for us otherwise folks would be having various equipment falling off poles into the street (this HAS happened when one of our competitors used cheap bolts).

A good quality stainless bolt is superior to what you buy from Home Depot, I bought some from there once & the threads stripped so easily I think they were made from zinc plated cheese...........
Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

Ford intake bolts are Grade 8.  Stainless uses a different measurement scale but was still less than a Grade 5...more like a Grade 2.

Frankenstein57

Actually they are not the same, You have the hinge bolts correct at 5/16- 24. But the bolts that hold down the panel in the cargo area are 5/16-18, which I refer to as standard and fine thread on the hinge bolts.  I was going to reply last night but I wanted to check the cars first to verify, hope this helps,  Mark

Ford Blue blood

That is correct...I thought he was talking about the hinge bolts.....bed cover is 5/16 X 18
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Limey57

Thats great, thanks for clarifying.  Before I buy any bolts I'd be better off investing in a thread gauge!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

nothing to do with the question ot hand, but I felt compelled to mention my experience yesterday at Fastenal, since I suggested them as a souce in this thread.
I needed some slight headed deck screws for the composite decking I was installing on our house and had two local sources to check out. My first stop at Fastenal got me a price of 12.15 per hundred, and only available in boxes of 700 (85. per box), so I went on to our local bolt and screw independent shop....and got a price of 1.62 per hundred, any quantity I wanted. 12.15 vs 1.62!! wtf? man I get tired of people trying to rip us off....particularly when it happens.

Ford Blue blood

US made vs China......Fastenal has a very rigorous Q.A. proceedure and those deck screws would likely withstand a large thermo neuclear device at ground zero......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Frankenstein57

Someone has to pay for Carl's cup car

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-11-09 08:04
US made vs China......Fastenal has a very rigorous Q.A. proceedure and those deck screws would likely withstand a large thermo neuclear device at ground zero......
lol..you may be right, I thought about the China factor, but don't know the source of either seller. I used about 480 of the 500 I got and didn't have one bad one, so baring a nuclear incident (my wife works at Pantex) I should be ok. Still, China or not, that's a huge price difference, particularly since most companies charge high prices even for the cheap China stuff anyway.
Maybe we should all get together and start a list of American made stuff.