News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Get together October 2013

Started by JPotter57, 2012-11-27 22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Glen Henderson and I have been talking about having a Southern get-together this October.  He has been talking with the owner of the Battleground Raceway in Meridian, MS where they hold an annual Nostalgia and Gasser drag event.  They are willing to let us piggyback onto their event, in order to get more cars and people involved.  We won't call this a `57 Ford event, as we cannot count on enough `57 owners to show up to do anything but make us look small time, and same for Y block power.  There is already an FE event onboard, and there were 2 or 3 `57s there this year.  I don't mean to belittle anyone or whatever, but historically, when we have tried to stage an event of our own, two or three folks would show up, and it would be a wash.  Instead, at least for a while, we will just concentrate on having a get together of `50's and 60's cars, and try to make a good showing of that.  This is an all-run event, but parking with our group, a Ford is mandatory, as is Ford power.  Doesn't matter if it's all original, modified, street rod, or drag/gasser style, come on.  Let us know if you want to come hang out.  Glen says it's $10 to get in with your car, may change a little this year.  He ran all day long.  There is a show car area, swap meet, etc. This could be a fun time if enough of us show interest in it.  These types of shows are going away.  The Ford Expo has been going on for 34 years as of 2012.  It is not on the schedule for 2013, being replaced by a Norwalk event.  NMRA is basically a Mustang racing outfit, and it seems a lot of the racers feel put out by the Y-block racers "eating up so much time".  From what I gather, the Expo is to be converted to a Nostalgia event and bracket racing event.  I don't know who will be in charge of it, possibly NMCA or NMRA, although with the many, many classes they have, I doubt it will last under those sanctioning bodies.  It's just a matter of time, before we lose yet another cool, all Ford event.  The Moroso 5 Day Ford event, World Ford Challenge, and the Fun Ford Weekend events are history, so that leaves us in the cold if the Expo folds.  Get out there and support these events.   You don't have to be a hard core drag racer to participate, park with us and cruise, or sit in the show car area, whatever.  Just don't gripe and whine whenever another closes its doors and is no longer available.  If you may be interested in hanging out with other Ford folks, post here, we'll see how it works out.  A similar message will be placed on the Y block site, maybe on the HAMB as well.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.