News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gas tank from hell

Started by hiball3985, 2012-12-02 23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

57dohc

My brother has an interesting and cheap way to clean his old gas tanks.  After removal, he straps to the wheel of a jacked up tractor, fills it about half full of gravel and water and just lets it turn for most of the day.  It really cleans them up but wouldn't help with pinholes or repairs.

hiball3985

Quote from: 57dohc on 2012-12-06 18:53
My brother has an interesting and cheap way to clean his old gas tanks.  After removal, he straps to the wheel of a jacked up tractor, fills it about half full of gravel and water and just lets it turn for most of the day.  It really cleans them up but wouldn't help with pinholes or repairs.
Thats a good idea, I'll bet you could use a lot of different mediums like walnut shells etc if you are lucky enough to have a tractor.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

clusterbuster

I took a thirteen week US Army body repair course and they taught us to put a hose on the exhaust of a vehicle and insert it into the gas tank inlet. Run the vehicle for an hour and remove hose.  Tank then safe to use a torch for soldering etc.

hiball3985

This was the bottom of the floor, the top of the tank didn't look much better, sorry I didn't have a camera available at the time. Pulled the rear springs today for new bushings and new shocks will be added also.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

On a California car too! Yikes.
LOL   Just scuff it up it'll be fine.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Hiball,
   We have the same problem with those termites up here in the North East. :003:
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Frankenstein57

Some of the designs of these cars, you have to wonder. Wouldn't take to many leaves to plug up those drain holes. My body man buddy has an older low mileage camry in the shop, the fender bottoms are gone. Pulled a basket full of leaves out of the fender bottoms, it's not just road salt that kills them

hiball3985

A good part of the damage was caused by some previous owner who had put a bolt, nut and washers in the drain hole, unbelievable :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Just for fun since I don't see a nostalgic thread here is a scan of some old photos, my "Chevy Killer"
circa 1968 when I was young and skinny LOL. This was my second 57.

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Quote from: 57dohc on 2012-12-06 18:53

Thats a good idea.  I haven't got a tractor but I havbe got a DIY sized cement mixer so I'm going to find a way of strapping the tank to that and let it run for a while.  I'll add some strong detergent to the water (we call it "traffic film remover") to help clean up the inside.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2012-12-14 20:37
This was the bottom of the floor, the top of the tank didn't look much better, sorry I didn't have a camera available at the time. Pulled the rear springs today for new bushings and new shocks will be added also.

Thanks, you made my day, I now have evidence tha my Ranchero isn't the rustiest Ranchero out there!!! My floor before during & after:

Gary

1957 Ranchero

57 Ford Kustom

Hiball,
   Great pics! I love the old photos, The Lady killer, and the Chevy Killer! LOL :005: If I put pics up from 68' you would see a snot nosed 4 yr old kid! I have a pic of my Dads first car, It's a 4dr. 57 custom 300. Heck, I even have the temporary paper plate for it on my wall! Tom was quite the pack rat!
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:

hiball3985

Quote from: Limey57 on 2012-12-15 12:46
Thanks, you made my day, I now have evidence tha my Ranchero isn't the rustiest Ranchero out there!!! My floor before during & after:
That came out very nice, well done. I took a different approach and made the top of the tank and floor flat, it holds about 25-26 gallons now, $$$$$ at fill up time.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Thanks Tim, I'm glad you liked them. I found one of my first 57, in 1966 taken by an aunt that was visiting. I sure wish I had more of many of my cars, just didn't think about it at the time.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Hiball,
   Thats a beauty! Here is a picture of My Dad's in 60'