News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

351 cleveland with Aod

Started by fordub, 2007-10-04 10:35

Previous topic - Next topic

fordub

Has anybody experience with sticking a 351 Cleveland and an Aod trans in a 57? I am just starting the tear down of the wagon and will need a plan. It is always great to learn from others who have done it prior to jumping in.
Thanks
Dub

FORDNUT

I have never owned a Cleveland, but I just sold a Custom with a stroked Windsor with AOD. I have also owned 302/5.0 with AOD. Fits like it was made for it. If you are not into fabricating your own stuff, there are a number of folks who have mount kits, etc for the install. Good luck. You will be very pleased with the results.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

FoMoCo57

:unitedstates:Am installing a Cleveland in my ranchwagon,presently using the C6, but have a AOD for a someday
project. The idea looks great on paper. Know others with the AOD swap and they loved it. Runs 4:11 gears
and turns 2800 rpm on freeway. If you use an aftermarket shifter you will need what B&M calls a install
kit. This is a shifting arm that replaces the stock piece. You have to remove the valve body to install. Something
to think about before you tear down trans. The upgrade, rebuild kit I looked at was $1,100. Will still need
converter, shifter and the trans person. The cost added up quick. Now this kit is rated to 500lbs tourk.
  I decided to wait until had wagon  is closer to driveable. Still have some bugs to work out with a Versailles
rearend swap. And wiring, and headers, etc. It can be done..keep us informed.........

bagboy

I have 57 RW with 351 w /AOD  Used 59auto colume,belcrank off donor [87 merk] got all detents. 20mpg

JPotter57

I have a Cleveland sitting in mine right now, using F100 mounts.  It will be pulled very soon so that it can receive it's new Top Secret  Twin Turbo powerplant......<tease, tease>
By the way, `70 Mustang 351 C headers work fine, be sure to get them for your head, 2V or 4V.  Hedman makes a nice set, will work with manual trans.  As far as the mounts on mine, I am not completely happy with them, but I used a set of them on my Windsor, and they will work, but require about a 1/2 inch spacer to keep the pan off the crossmember.  I would recommend making a set or modifying a different set.  The main reason I dont like them is that they are not thick enough and require the spacer, otherwise they are fine.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.