News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom S

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2013-04-06 13:26Does anyone know if a different differential was used with the higher horsepower options?
Different differential?  Pretty positive that they were all 9" Ford diffs.
Your data plate axle code is 2?  Page 3 here says axle code is 1= 3.10.
http://www.1957ford.com/asp/gallery.aspx?catmstrid=7&catdetid=29
Also shows the tag as being on the drivers side.

Ford Blue blood

The only differences were the bearing size and brake size.  Wagons, Rancheros and Retractables some times got 2 1/2" or 3" fronts and 2 1/2 rears with large bearings (sometimes).
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

ROKuberski

Quote from: Tom S on 2013-04-07 04:03
Different differential?  Pretty positive that they were all 9" Ford diffs.
Your data plate axle code is 2?  Page 3 here says axle code is 1= 3.10.
http://www.1957ford.com/asp/gallery.aspx?catmstrid=7&catdetid=29
Also shows the tag as being on the drivers side.

My data plate shows 1 for the axle code.  The 93 - 96 Lincoln Mk VIII use a 3.07:1 gear ratio, essentially the same as what I have.  Less than a 1% difference.  So a transmission from one of those cars should be just fine.

I was also wondering if the higher horse power option engines got different rear ends designed to take the higher stress they would be getting.  It seems not.  I was just thinking about putting more HP to the old differential.

Rich

RICH MUISE

The only ones I'm aware of as far as oem goes are the ones designated with an "N" for a stronger nodular material.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Now that I am discussing this project with my friends, I am getting several different reactions.  Some say cool project, go for it.  Others are saying that I am destroying the value of my vintage car. 

Me, I am off on a tangent because of the offer of a free new engine.  Without this offer, there would be no major changes to the car.  I think that the installation challenges are within my abilities - time will tell.  And, I can afford the cost of the remaining things to buy for the project so I don't anticipate getting 1/2 done and then hitting a brick wall.

Since this question is in the "engine swaps" forum, most of you that will see this will be people that are considering or have done engine swaps.

It is my intention to keep this car for some years to come.  I enjoy driving it and about once a year it will be in a car show.  I've got it looking good and the new engine will have it running like a new car.  I am trying to avoid scope creep in the project, but I am now also considering what it would take to convert the drum brakes to power brakes (I'm not changing the drums - mainly because I just spent a grand on 14" whitewall radials.)  Of course there is a big jump in horse power, but I am also hoping that my mileage will jump from about 14 to near 20.  If so, that would be nice.  As you all know, the car is a gas hog.

So, what's the consensus on this type of upgrade/change to my "valuable" vintage car?

Rich

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2013-04-08 18:50
So, what's the consensus on this type of upgrade/change to my "valuable" vintage car?

Rich

Who cares?  As long as you're happy with the car what anybody else thinks really don't matter!  I've been "resto moding" and restoring and hot rodding cars for years and it has been the person that builds the car that needs to be happy.  So build what you want and the heck with what anyone else says.  My 36 Chevy with a 351C really gets the Chevy guys going!!!!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I'm with Bill on this. If I had an extremly rare car...E or F code....I'd probably at least give it a lot of thought before I changed it from oem. As far as value is concerned, Imho changes or no changes doesn't matter as much as the quality of the work. In todays market many have gotten away from the "keep it stock" crowd because of improved technologies....

ROKuberski

I appreciate the comments.  I've never made this big a change to a car.  And, I believe that the transplant of the 4.6L is a HUGE change.  I was out in the garage last night with a tape measure.  I found the dimensions for the engine on the internet.  This will be a really tight fit.  I'm not sure that the dimensions I found include the stuff on the front of the block, or was just the size of the block (28" long.) 

Rich, I'm developing a "to do" list for this project that I would like to share with you when I finish it.  Also, do you know of anyone that has completed this transplant?  I'd like to correspond with them on a few issues.  I've got 15 major items on my list now and none of those items have anything to do with the disassembly and reassembly of the front of the car just to gain decent access.

If anyone has pictures of this engine mounted in the car, I would love to see those too.  My email address is listed on this site on my profile.

Rich

57dohc

Rich in Arvada,
I never figured out a way to post pictures or i would send you what I have!  You would probably get a better feel for this transplant by making that short drive down here and checking it out. With your help, we could temporarily install the radiator support and inner fenders to check the front engine clearance.  I haven't done this as the inner fenders and support are still one piece and awkward to handle.  Some modification of the radiator/support will probably be necessary, but shouldn't be too extensive.
You certainly have to make your own decision; its a lot easier to start this on a non-running project car stripped down to the frame rails.  Even if your engine is free, I do think you will spend more on this conversion than rebuilding your y block.  Yes, they do take gas but they really run nice when freshly rebuilt.
You really should go ahead with the disc brake change.  Versailles wheels are 14 inch and will clear discs. I bought a set of these a while back at Webb's junkyard for my 57 tbird and they were too expensive.  They wouldn't work under the rear fender skirts so I run two on the front plus the spare! You shouldn't have any of these problems with a full size car. Al

Tom S

Quote from: 57dohc on 2013-04-09 11:08
Rich in Arvada,
I never figured out a way to post pictures or i would send you what I have! 
I have never used the method that gasman mentions here.  Sounds easy though.  I use Photobucket.  It is free or for a small fee you can get a 'Pro' account with just about unlimited storage.  I got the Pro account so my pix won't ever disappear & it's pretty cheap.
Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-03-20 07:43
Pictures?  Just below the Reply Box...hit the Additional Options (steel blue) button.  Hit the Browse button at the end of the ATTACH box.  Locate your picture directory (folder) and double click on the picture you want to share.

RICH MUISE

Rich....I had assumed you had read the older threads from a few years ago that were going on this forumn...mainly by Canadian Ranchero and Bob Claiborn. From your comments I'm guessing now you maybe haven't. In the thread with thousands of "hits", you will find a link reference to Claiborn's photo album with lots of pics. Also Canadian Ranchero had some pics posted that are quite helpful. Neither of thos members have been on the forumn for over a year. Also I'm going to try and post a link to another photo album that has a 4.6 installed. I'm going to bring those two older threads back to the top so you won't have to search much.
If you guys get together at Al's..let me know ahead of time..maybe I can make it up and make it a threesome.
This is Claiborn's photo album that corresponds to the thread he was doing with Canadian Ranchero
http://public.fotki.com/claborne/57countrysquire-1/
This next one was picked up thru the HAMB. The car was being built by someone who apparently died before completion, as the photos were posted by the person who inherited the car, and unfortunatly didn't know anything about it. It is the supercharged version that I mentioned had a problem with hood clearance, but I just noticed he has a stock, unmodified hood, so I guess it's not a problem. This car was the inspiration for me to make the final decision to go for it....don't like his interior though, but the rest of the car is outstanding.
http://www.carbuff.net/57_ford

RICH MUISE

As far as posting pics..it is as easy as Gary the Gasman said...as long as the pics are small enough for this forumn. Resizing is also easy.

ROKuberski

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-04-09 14:24
Rich....I had assumed you had read the older threads from a few years ago that were going on this forumn...mainly by Canadian Ranchero and Bob Claiborn. From your comments I'm guessing now you maybe haven't. In the thread with thousands of "hits", you will find a link reference to Claiborn's photo album with lots of pics. Also Canadian Ranchero had some pics posted that are quite helpful. Neither of thos members have been on the forumn for over a year. Also I'm going to try and post a link to another photo album that has a 4.6 installed. I'm going to bring those two older threads back to the top so you won't have to search much.
If you guys get together at Al's..let me know ahead of time..maybe I can make it up and make it a threesome.
This is Claiborn's photo album that corresponds to the thread he was doing with Canadian Ranchero
http://public.fotki.com/claborne/57countrysquire-1/
This next one was picked up thru the HAMB. The car was being built by someone who apparently died before completion, as the photos were posted by the person who inherited the car, and unfortunatly didn't know anything about it. It is the supercharged version that I mentioned had a problem with hood clearance, but I just noticed he has a stock, unmodified hood, so I guess it's not a problem. This car was the inspiration for me to make the final decision to go for it....don't like his interior though, but the rest of the car is outstanding.
http://www.carbuff.net/57_ford

Rich,

I just read through all of the thread with lots of hits.  There is a lot going on here.  I was impressed when the guy said they spent 300 hours on the project and they had a good shop with all the tools.  I spent about 1,000 hours on the rebuild of a '37 Chevy a few years ago.  I hit that thing almost every day, sometimes did 10 hours a day on it and finished the project in about 6 months.  The only thing I did not rebuild was the differential.  I think I touched every bolt on that car - BUT - that was a low tech project.  This project is very high tech.  I am very much of a DIY'er and would want to make sure that this project is within my abilities.  My "todo" list is getting longer, as well as my shopping list.

I talked to Al today and we are planning to meet on May 4th.  You would be a welcome addition to conference.  If it looks like you can make it, we will give you more information.

Rich

RICH MUISE

To be honest, claiborn scared me off the project for quite a while. I was really waiting for Gary (Canadian Ranchero) to actually do his so I could get a better feel for the install...but for some reason we lost his input on the forum. The more I get involved in the swap, the better I'm feeling as far as making it work without having to scream for the help I can't afford. I piddled out in the garage for an hour tonight...dropped my rack and pinion so I could position the engine/tranny for a look-see, and I am reaaly happy with the way it's looking. I think the mods to the stock tranny crossmember will be simple even for a novice like myself. I've got a Rockies game to watch..so I'll get some pics posted in the morning.
May 4 may be doable...depends on if I go to the Pate swap meet , I think the week before.
Rich

ROKuberski

Rich,

I have yet to decided if this is for me or not.  It is going to be a real plus to see Al's project up close and personal.  As to the date chosen, that will be after I return from a brief trip and a friend will be available to go along to "consult" on the project.  If there is another date that works better for you and still works for the rest of us, throw it out for consideration.

I am working on a list of major tasks for the project.  If anyone sees a glaring omission, let me know.

Rich

Purchase and install elect cooling fans (Lincoln MKVIII)
Purchase and install cold air Intake
Connect existing exhaust to new headers
Fuel System mods
Clean and Paint engine bay
Install new Engine mounts
Make modifications to engine/transmission mounts
Purchase Front sump oil pan, gasket & install on engine
Purchase and install new oil pickup
Purchase 4R70W Transmission
Purchase torque converter
Purchase and install MKVIII floor shifter
Drive shaft mods