News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Hope you got the oil pick tube up from the Continental as well...you will need it. I don't know about the dipstick on the Mustang 4.6. If it's the same as the Mark VIII dipstick, you may not have to do anything. The oem Mark viii dipstick only protrudes into the oil pan a short way. On mine I do not believe it was hitting the shallow end of the replacement oil pan. I put in 5 qts that I was told was the capacity of the Continental oil pan, and the oil level shows just below full. Mine  is a cable dipstick rather than a stiffer traditional type, but I can't feel any resistance when it goes all the way down. When you pull your old oil pan you could check to see how far below the mounting surface it protrudes, then measure that area on the front sump pan. (I was going to do that and forgot) One of a previous member said he had to shorten his by 1/4" or so.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

something to keep in mind,the computer will need to learn what the engine wants to idle nice.the more you run the engine,the better it should idle.

Ford Blue blood

Yes, it takes about 25 start and run cycles (+ or -) for the computer to "learn".  Rouph idle is normal at this point.  Just be sure to leave the keep alive hooked up or it will have "learn" every time you fire it up.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

r stewart

Thanks Rich for all the help. Yes I got the oil pan, dip stick, and the pick up for 30 bucks at the local yard.

hiball3985

Congratulations Rich. I'll bet if the wife took a picture of your smile it would be to BIG to post.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Good info, Gary and Bill. It'll be a while before the computer goes back to school. I've still got alot of wiring to do on the car, and alot of it is to the power distribution box that feeds the computer.
I almost forgot...one other thing I got to check out was that insane project I got into on the variable speed windshield wipers...it works!! I do have to play with it some though, I could tell the mechanism was binding up at the end the stroke as the wiper blade pivot was being "pushed", and it blew the fuse (just a 10 amp in there now). But I know the variable speed wiper works and that was a big electrical issue for me as I had to get the Mustang electrical diagrams and decipher what I needed to add the wiring to the multi-function switch connector.
I'm going to try and find some flex tubing today so I can run the exhaust out a window. That'll let me check out a few more things if I can let it warm up.

lalessi1

Rich, Congratulations on the engine fire up!!! Not many things have given me a greater sense of accomplishment than firing up an engine. You must be on cloud 9 after all the effort you've put into this endeavour to date. Waiting for the video now!
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Sorry, I don't have a video camera. My digital still camera does have  a video mode though...now if I could just find the thick owners manual for it.
I did manage to leave it running long enough to check the temp gage, and that appears to be working as it should. It looks like I may have guessed correctly on the new sender for it to replace the one I broke.
I've still got a pesky gas leak in the supply line, hopefully my last tightening took care of it. It stopped leaking, but I won't know for sure til I fire it up again and get that line repressurized.

canadian_ranchero

nice to see you got it running.wish i was at that point with mine.still waiting for engine parts

RICH MUISE

Tommorrow I've got to check out the routing of my hydroboost/rack/ps pump lines. I did a post on the hamb and the responses I got indicated the system should not get real hot with no steering or brakes usage. One response was that it would get hot if the lines were not hooked up correctly.

RICH MUISE

Got that leaky fuel line fixed, and also a small leak on the hydroboost. My power windows are working except I've got to rotate one of the switches or switch the leads. My dome light also works, thanks to Bill who helped me out on that way back when. My high beam indicator dash light works also...hope that's an indication of no problems when I wire up the headlights.

RICH MUISE

Repeat of another thread, but I did get my hydoboost system bled on both the steering and brakes, so I've got both power steering and front brakes. So much stuff to check when your starting an engine on a complete build. I had never done brake lines or the aerquip braided hoses like for the hydraulics, so I'm kinda amazed I have had zero leaks except for a few spots I just had to tighted.
I played with the wipers a bit yesterday, and checked out the windshield washer as well. So cool to have the washer button on the wiper control handle work! I put some masking tape on the wiper pivots to similate the wiper arms. I was kinda giggling like a fool when the intermittents worked, and watching the arms go back and forth in opposite directions knowing a full 360* motor was driving them.
Next I'm going to finish wiring the Vintage Air

RICH MUISE

Didn't get very far on the A/C wiring. The trinary switch has one wire that feeds the compressor, but my compressor has a 2 wire connector coming out of it. The Ron Francis kit did not address the compressor, kinda strange I think. I'll call Vintage Air in the morning and see if I can get some info as to how to handle the two wires. One is purple, and the other is lt. grey with a white stipe. If one of the two was black, I would have just run it to ground. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go thru the schematics and try to figure where they went oem.
In the meantime, I moved on to mounting and wiring my horns, and adding a grounding terminal up front. I'll also need that for the lights.
update......honk!  honk! whahoo!!

Ford Blue blood

I believe ground was/is provided by the computer.  When at full throttle and RPM gets to a certain point the compressor is turned off to prevent damage.  You can hook either to the trinary and the other to ground.  I would hook the purple to the switch.  Rich you still need to look at the prints, this is from memory.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I'll do that in the morning while I'm waiting for the garage to warm up. We've had some nice weather here, but it got cold tonight! After you said that, I realized I know alot of the wires running to/from the engine panel are grounds but not necessarily black.