News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Noob

Started by Re$urrected57, 2012-12-07 20:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Re$urrected57

New to this site and I guess you can say new to 57 Fords.  Just purchased a barn find - 1957 Ford Custom 300 Fordor, that had been sitting since 1968 for only $1500.  I couldn't resist, even if it is a 4 door car.  Anyway, thanks for having me here.  I was wondering if anyone here has done a 4 door restoration with a donor car.  I'm looking for interior and engine pics.  If someone could give me some ideas for the type of car.  Also in the next few months I will be selling off the interior and engine if anyone is interested.  Oh by the way - great site!

4thgen57

First of all 4 doors kick a$$!!!  Second. what direction are you wanting to take with your project? and Welcome

Re$urrected57

Well I have seen many good looking cars in the gallery, but one that stands out for me is the posting of Rich Muise's 2 door.  I am all about the original look, but really like the fully redone interiors with donor cars and putting some mad motor in its engine bay.  I am full of ideas and ready to get to work after the holidays.

Ford Blue blood

Welcome aboard.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

LOL..I like this guy. Welcome to the site. Gasman is the only other one I recall using later model components for the interior.Gary is actually using alot more later oem components than mine. Mine is actually just front and rear seats, and steering column, everything else has been custom made (console, door, and rear side panels,package tray piece)or modified (dash).  Bob (57AGIN) just had a remarkable upholstery job done on his 300 2 door, looks very contemporary, but retained alot of the oem design. If you have any questions..just ask.
Just happened to think, if you do go with salvage yard seats, you'll have a lot more options with your car being a 4 door. I had to find a 2 door donor vehicle for the front seats to fold forwards.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

4thgen57

One of these days when my kids are out of college (they are 10 and 2 now) and I actually have time and money to work on mine, I have always pictured it with 4 bucket seats. a little out of the ordinary but i think it would be cool. I personally want to stick with a y-block. Some of the engine/trans combos I see are awesome. there is room to stuff anything between the fenders. Anything we can do to help we will be more than willing. Just ask

sprink88

Welcome Resurrected. I also have a 4dr, it is a Fairlane 500. You will have fun! My new projects are, a 351w with a C4, dummy spots, Aerostar front springs and maybe lake pipes. Gotta think about those some more though
~Chris

57 Ford Kustom

Welcome Resurrected,
   You could not have come to a better site! We are glad to have you.
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Re$urrected57

Thanks all for the warm welcomes and I really appreciate the ideas.  I have a couple of ideas for donor cars, but was wondering what I would be running in to when I start.  I would like to give the interior a modern feel to it and leave the exterior looking pretty much the way it is, besides the normal upgrades (wheels and paint).  I can get my hands on just about any car out there without spending a bunch of money (insurance auctions).  I like the 1995-1998 Lincoln Towncar and Mark VIII as donors because of the availability.  Has anyone that you all know of used the two listed as donors?  I know some would rather keep the 272, but I figured that I could rob the engine from a donor.  I'm extremely excited about getting started, I have worked with many restorations, but this will be the oldest car that I have done.  As the months go by, I will probably become a nuisance asking a crap load of questions, so please bare with me.   

RICH MUISE

If you'll just slide on down to the engine swap section you'll find all kinds of info on the 4.6 swap. The two guys that have worked on the swap in the past used Mark viii, and the two guys that are working on it now are using Mustang Cobra 4.6's. I'll be doing the '94 Mark viii. As far as the Mark's go, the easiest is '93-95 for sure. I'm getting varying info on the '96 as far as electronics. '97 and newer require more electronics work and $.
Funny you should bring up the Towncars, as until a trip to the salvage yard this past Thursday, I thought the Towncars were fwd. In the mid 90's Lincoln used 3 different 4.6's...unusable fwd in the Continental. the SOHC in the Towncars, and the DOHC in the Mark's. My opinion is as far as the Lincolns are concerned, the Mark is going to be as cheap as a Towncar sohc, so why bother with a sohc?
The primary thing unless you're big time into electronics, is to make sure there is an aftermarket harness available for whatever you're thinking about buying before you buy.

Zapato

Resurrected, you need to be a bit more considerate you keep it up and Rich will have to buy a bunch of new much larger hats.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

That's funny....That's ok, Zap, just leave him alone. LOL
I've got pics of a handful of '57's that eliminates the chances of any head swelling posibilities....like the one in the current issue of Rodder's Journal...a green 300 2 dr. Hard to believe a modified car could be built that perfect..made me sick to look at it....had to wonder how much photoshoping was done on the pics, or if the car is actually that insanely perfect.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2012-12-09 07:55
if the car is actually that insanely perfect.

Only a matter of time and MONEY.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-12-09 09:05
Only a matter of time and MONEY.......

Whether the owner built it or not I would have to add talent to that list. Without which it wouldn't be possible.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Re$urrected57

I don't think I seen that article of the 57 in the Rodder's Journal.  Which issue is it in?  Have you all picked up the February 2013 issue of Street Rodder yet.  Looks like someone has figured out the madness of the 4.6l fuel delivery.  The article is called Old-School Modular.  Looks like they have a manifold adapter where you can run a 302 intake and use a carburetor.  Now that is something to think about. 

Ok Rich has me sold on the 4.6L engine swap for my Custom 300.  I looked in the engine section and read up on all of the ideas into the swap.  It seems all of the research is there.  Does anyone have complete pics of the 4.6L swap?

Well Zap, looks like Rich has some mad skills on upholstery, he won't have to buy any bigger hats, he could just make him one.