News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

V8 AIR CLEANER

Started by clusterbuster, 2012-12-19 16:55

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterbuster

Getting my engine air cleaner ready to paint,as it is pretty ratty looking.  I know it doesn't get terrifically hot when the engine is running, but would those who have painted them recommend a heat resistant paint, or can I get away with conventional?  May not get it done till after Christmas.  Thanks.

Mark

I painted the air filter for my 64 8 years ago with just regular paint and it still look fine

clusterbuster

Thanks Mark,
I was kinda leaning toward just a regular paint, but experience always helps.

TexasFordGuy

Eastwood sells a variety of under hood paints, that you may want to check out, that can handle under hood temperatures.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

hiball3985

This is the first 57 I've had with a stock air cleaner, it's black, but the best I recall weren't they a grey/silver color?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

geraldchainsaw

just get a gray  engine paint

clusterbuster

Yes, they were a silver gray, sort of argent. Haven't come across a gray engine paint yet. Will keep looking.

hiball3985

Thanks guys, I don't think it needs to be engine paint, I've used regular enamel on others with no problem.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

suede57ford

Regular enamal with hardner or urethane will make an original air cleaner look nice and last well.

The original color was "Argent", which is a light silver.    I have used a Honda Basecoat silver with great results.  You wan ta small metallic to look correct.

You can clear it with any good urethane clear.  You may want to add a little flatner to the clear coat to dull it down more like original.

I also have been clearing over the FOMOCO decal when clearing the silver base, and it keeps it from coming off at the car wash.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

petew

Eastwood sell an Argent Silver spray paint that look correct. They list it as a wheel paint (think GM rally wheels) .  I have done a couple of air cleaners with it . They have stood up great to both engine heat and time.

Pete

hiball3985

Thanks, I wish I had know that and added it to my last Eastwood order..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang