News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

moving the radiator forward

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-21 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Gary

1957 Ranchero

JimNolan

Randy,
   I got the 2710 Hayden clutch. It's .630" longer than yours. The only difference I can see in it to amount to anything is the water pump flange nipple depth. Does your 460 water pump fan mount flange have the same size flange as an FE mount flange. If it does and I may be able to use that -.630' overall height. Thanks for letting me know. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

rmk57

I don't have an FE to compare it to but the 428 Cobra-jet guys are using them if they can't find an NOS clutch, so I would think there the same.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JimNolan

Randy,
I'll put my old water pump on it tomorrow and install the clutch and fan. If I've got clearance between the harmonic balancer/belts and fan blade I'll send the 2710 I've got back and order the 2765. Thanks, Jim

rmk57

My combination is apples and oranges compared to yours being my 460 is longer than an FE. I did my rad fitment, clutch, etc, with the core support in place and had to trim quite a bit to make it all work out.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Ok guys... THIS MAY NOT WORK...I decided to temporarily install my front wheelwells, fenders, and core support just to get them up off the floor and to check out potential fitment problems with all the patchwork I did on the weels, fenders, and nosepiece. Anyway...that aluminum radiator is nowhere close..at least at the moment... to clearing the hood..but I'm talking 1 1/2-2"!
Has anybody installed their Classic City radiator yet? Tommorrow I'm going to make a bunch of small to medium adjustments on the components to see how close I can get it.
Anyway, if anybody was getting ready to do the moving forwards thing, you may want to hold off.
I don't have any manuals that show the front end sheet metal assembly, so I'm kinda feeling my way thru it blind..looking for some good component illustrations or pics. Hell, I'm having a heck of a time just figuring out where the fender should be height-wise at the front.
My guess is at this time, if the Classic City radiator can be moved forward at all , it's at the minimum going to need some rewoking of the core support so it can drop down..probably what Pat Fleischman was talking about when he did his.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Quote from: rmk57 on 2012-12-22 11:49
The shortest fan clutch I came up with is a Hayden #2765 which is used on mid-80's Jaguars. There nearly identical to the C9OE unit used on Cobra-jet Mustangs. I have one on my 460 57 Custom along with a 19" steel fan and one of those universal fit aluminum rads and it never gets above 180 degrees.
Randy
Randy,
    I ordered the 2765 clutch yesterday. It also fits the same fan blade I ordered with it. Thanks for letting me know. Jim

hiball3985

That's too bad Rich but that was one of my concerns, it's tight in there. You mention the six cylinder radiator sets further forward which I wasn't aware of, I haven't had a 223 57 since 1966, but good to know.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57dohc

I know everyone is trying to be creative with what they have to solve this problem.  there are custom radiator shops that will build whatever you need and may not be as expensive as you would think.  I was checking on the web this afternoon and gave McCulloch Fabrications out of Kingman Az a call.  They have a base model 2 core aluminum 26w by 19h they can modify with a front flange to bolt up directly to the outside of the radiator support.  I believe he said this was a 2inch core.  It looks like this would not project above the radiator support.  For my application, the Mustang expansion/filler tank would bolt up on the inside of the support less than 1 inch above that support.  The fan could be attached directly to to the inside edge of the support.  He said this radiator would be about $450; more than I want to spend but would give clearance issues for only the fan.  Just another alternative!

RICH MUISE

I think my only issue will be not being able to use the mark viii fan bacause of it's 5 1/4 depth. Aftermarket fans, and probably some oem, are avaiable thinner.

suede57ford

When I modified my radiator support to move the radiator ahead an inch, I had no issues with hood clearance.   I did trim the 1/2" flange off the bottom of the support to get the radiator as low a possible to prevent any issues.

The original 6 cylinder radiator was a little shorter than a V8 radiator to enable it to be moved forward with the reversed side brackets.

On my black supercharged Y-block car have a fan clutch with a seven blade aftermarket fan with plenty of clearance, even with the blower belts.   

My 5.0 Ranchwagon is using the same aftermarket fan and clutch I am also running a powerdyne supercharger.   

I just got in my second Aluminum Radiator.   I plan to order a couple more for my other cars next month as budget allows.

I will continue to cut and modify the radiator supports so the radiator still mounts like stock, and looks more factory.

The only thing I dont like so far is the ugly welds to hold the top tank on and the lack of an anodizing option to make the radiators black in color.   I will be forced to epoxy prime and paint the tanks of mine with a dusting of black on the fins so they look more stock.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Great info Pat...thanks for posting. Glad to hear it would fit moving forward an inch...it was kinda hard telling for sure with all my components kinda loosely in place.
Pat..would you PM me your phone number..I may be in Lubbock next week.

JimNolan

Randy,
  I got the new jaguar clutch in and it fit great. Getting the bolts tightened in that little-bitty space was a pain though. But, it's on the engine and looks great. 1" is what I need to move the radiator forward. Sooooo, I ordered 1 1/4" square aluminum tubing to space the radiator forward. That way I won't have air coming around the sides of the radiator either. It looks like it's going to fit like a glove without any alternations other than having longer bolts holding the radiator on and of course the 1/8" slots in the radiator support at the top. Thanks for your post. It's made my life a lot easier with this engine swap. Jim

rmk57

It's nice when things work out. Glad I could help you out. I think it was an FE or Cobra-jet forum where I got the info.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Most of you may know this already..
     If you happen to notice on the  core supports they have a forward indentation.  That is for the 6 cylinder application so the radiator core is  a couple inches more forward.  When I had my radiator  re-cored, I took the straps off of a 57 six cylinder radiator that I had laying around and told them to put it on my 8 cyl radiator.  That gave me more room in the engine compartment and it does not look like anything is changed.  For a while back there a few years ago I was planning on moving to Arizona and was going to install air condition.