News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New guy with 57 custom 2 door.

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-01-01 11:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

My name is Jay Arrow and I just signed up to this forum.   I'm  a retired Mass. LEO.  I have had my 57 2 door  custom for about 10 years and have always referred to it as my "late model car" because I have been working on 34 Fords, one of which I have been driving for 40 plus years. My  57 was for the most part on the back burner and I just worked on it off and on.

All of my 34 Fords are done, so now I would like to put more time into the 57 custom. The 312 is rebuilt and all of the mechanics are done.  I took  the column shift linkage apart and refurbished it , so it shifts smoothly through all three gears.   Last summer I got to drive it around my property for the first time and so far everything feels fine..  The interior is from ABC upholstery and everything is installed except the door panels because I don't want to mess them up while I'm getting it ready for paint..  The new headliner and new front and rear windshield rubbers have also been installed.  The grill, side quarter panel stainless and front and rear face bars are not on it at the moment because it is getting ready for paint in the spring of 2013 hopefully. Mass winters are very cold and so is my garage even with the heater on high. The car body never warms up.  It seems like there is no end to block sanding and I can't do much of that until the warm weather is here again.

Sorry but I don't have any pictures  at the moment and don't know how to post them anyways
    I look forward to learning a  lot on the 57 Fords International forum.
Jay

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the site. I'm from Mass. originally (born in Waltham, Acton is my hometown). Looking forward to hearing more about your project..but first I gotsta ask..Do you really have an E code 70D business coupe as your forumn name would imply??? That's like the holy grail of '57 Fords!!! Awesome!! I'd sure like to hear how you found that puppy.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

sprink88

WELCOME! I like that Your "late model" haha
~Chris

57 Ford Kustom

welcome Ecode,
   I'm in Vt. so I know all about our cold winter months, and the keeping the garage warm!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Ecode70D

Rich
   I knew a guy Named Richard Muise who lived in Dorchester Mass in the 50s.

How I found my car is sort of a long story.  This is a short version because I can talk better than I type.  My brother bought an almost new 1957 Ford 2 dr. Custom State Police cruiser from Hoover Motors in Boston Mass in late 1958.  Unfortunately it got sold in the early 60s after he went into the service.  After that,my search was on for another 57 custom 2 dr. to replace it.

Fast forward to about 40 years later.   A customer came into my shop to have the 289/302  engine taken out of a decent 67 Mustang convertible and installed into a real ratty Falcon.  I couldn't figure out why he wanted to do that, but the customer is always right so I did the swap for him..  He spotted my daily driver which was a 2 dr. 58 white Ford Custom that had an FE engine with 406 heads and 406 trips on it.  He pointed at my 58 and stated " I know where there is another one just like that one and it is the same color ,but it might be a 57".   When he told me where it was and that just happened to be about 4 or 5 blocks away from where  my brothers 57 got sold 40 years earlier, my heart skipped a beat.   I was hoping that this could be my brother's old state police car.   

Well when I got there, I could hardly contain my excitement, things were looking good.  It was a 2 dr 57 custom, but not my brother's old car.  There were some very distinct different things about this one. 

It turned out to be an E code 70 D and  I didn't realize what I was buying.  Someone put a back seat in it.  Even though I thought I knew a little about 57s  growing up in the 50s, for some strange reason I don't recall ever seeing a 57 business coupe
After I was educated as to what it was, I got rid of the back seat and installed the tray.  The rubber  boots over the inner wheel wells are original and the cardboard rear side panels and back panel behind the seat are different from a regular 2 dr.   They were
good enough to be used for templates to make new ones. 

Most likely it will burn a bunch of gas with the dual quads, but they sure do look nice.  I will not be driving this one across the country from Mass to California like we did twice in my brother's 57 custom.   His got 19 mpg in the day with trips when we kept our foot off of the end carbs.

Rich I was a Mass Registry cop. Do You remember them? Later they merged with the Mass State Police.

I wish everyone a happy and prosperous New Year.   

Jay

robhaerr

Please post photos...we all want to see this!

Rob

Ecode70D

All of my pictures got lost when everything was transferred from the old computer to this new computer that I just got for Christmas.  Maybe they are there somewhere.  I'll have to wait to have my daughter find them.  I was able to find 3 pictures that were taken a few years ago.   I will be happy to email them to an email address of a fellow member that knows how to post them on the forum for me.   
Jay A.

Zapato

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-01-01 15:17
Rich
   I knew a guy Named Richard Muise who lived in Dorchester Mass in the 50s.

Wow! and welcome Jay, just wonder how many Rich Muises could have lived in Massachusetts at any given time?

Were did you find the package tray? I've searched on and off for one even though am starting to think a fold down wagon seat would work out better what with grandkids to haul around.

And Rich is right by my way of thinking you do have the "holy grail" and for me not just for 57s but the'' HOLY GRAIL''.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Re$urrected57

Welcome Ecode70D, looking forward to seeing your '57.

JPotter57

That sounds like an incredible Business Sedan, and a cool story to go with it.  The only thing I can think of that would be more rare would be an F-code 70D.  There were a couple, That white Phase 1 really does it for me.   Jay, if you want to send the pics to me, I can post them for you...JPotter "at" 57fordsforever dot com.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Jay...Talk about being in the right place at the right time...e code 70D without even knowing what you were buying...That's incredible.
I'm not sure I've even been in Dorchester ...so unfortunately I guess we're not old lost aquaintences. I lived in Waltham til I was ten(1956)moved to Acton, schooled, married, had a kid, moved to Calif. in '69. I don't remember the "registry cops"..my next door neighbor was a state trooper...when they were building 395, he patrolled the yet unopened stretches. I had a 421 HO Pontiac, and he told me one day if I wanted to see what it would do against a State trooper's car, to meet him up there..I did... He took me off the line but I caught him at 110.
You got me reminiscing now..remember Arnie (woo-woo) Ginsburg and the Night Train Show? There use to be three car-hop drive-ins we went to..Adventure Car Hop in Saugus, Richard's Drive-in near the Route2 rotary in Cambridge, and one on the Cambridge side of the Charles (Storrow drive?) whose name I can't recall.Maybe it was Richard's and I can't remember the one near the rotary. Went to Franklin Institute of Technology in Boston for a few years,.. evenings.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Rich

Obviously it was another person that I knew in the 50s  with the same name.   He would have been a few years older than you.

You are right about being in the right place at the right time.  When I told a friend of mine that I was going to look at a 57 custom, he stated to me  " With my luck it will be a business coupe".  I really didn't know what he was talking about.  All I was after was a 57 two door Ford Custom ONLY!!!.  I didn't care if it had a 6 or an 8 cylinders, or if it was standard or automatic.  He is the same guy that checked the numbers and told me what it was.

So the moral of the story is... We have to check out all the leads that we get.   I can go on and on about not checking out leads.

The reason that I built up the 58 Custom that I talked about earlier was because I couldn't find a 57 custom 2 dr and in my mind, it was the  it was the closest thing I could find.

My brother had almost the same experience as you did.  The police in Kezar Falls Maine wanted to drag with him, and he beat them also.  This was when he was working up there as a life guard at a summer camp.

I do remember Arnie Ginsburg and Adventure car hop in Saugus.  I did get to see and talk with him a couple of years ago when he made an appearance at the Ty-Rods hot rod Reunion on the north shore.  I'm not sure if he is still alive.

In addition to the Richards drive in  in Quincy , there was another Richards Drive in on Memorial Drive in Cambridge across the Charles river from Storrow drive as you stated..  My wife worked there a  a car hop in the early 60s. 

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.
Jay   

suede57ford

What a great find, an E-code and Business Sedan!  Wow!!!

Thank you for saving it.

Thanks for joining the forum.   We all will be really interested with your progress on such a unique '57 Ford.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

F570RD

Arnie Ginsberg....Love these albums

57 Ford Kustom

I grew up listening to Arnie Ginsburg albums in my Dad's garage, True entertainment!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.