News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Floor Shifter

Started by clubcoupe57, 2013-01-08 19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

clubcoupe57

Hi Guys, has anyone put a floor shifter to a ford-o-matic , I can find alot for c4 and c6 but none for ford-a-matic, some might wonder why I would want to put a floor shift in, kinda like the old school look! Thanks

57 Ford Kustom

Coupe 57,
   My Dad had one in the car, I will ask my brother if he still has it. We removed it when I swapped out the Y Block (sorry Dad). I will try  to figure out who made it, and a part number.
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Ecode70D

This is just my opinion.
That's a real nice looking car and I wouldn't make a hole in the floor if it were mine.   
Jay A 

rmk57

Since there are only two detents for lo and drive maybe a power glide one could be made to work.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Zapato

Or you could just remove the detents on the shifter and just let the tranny detents do their job. And just relabel the shifter plate. If you decide to fab one up and want an old Hurst handle to use guessing there's one to be found in one of my junk boxes.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

I understand enjoying the old school feel, that's great. I was debating doing the same as I use to do to my 3spds but the more I thought about it I'm enjoying the three on the tree, now that really feels old school.. I like being able to have three people in the seat without a shifter between the middle persons legs, well, depending on who's legs  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

My grandkids marveled at three on the tree.  There is a whole generation (maybe two) that does not know what that is.

hiball3985

Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-01-09 17:17
My grandkids marveled at three on the tree.  There is a whole generation (maybe two) that does not know what that is.
That's for sure. New Years day I had both grand kids and the wife all in the seat of the Ranchero. They had never seen anything but bucket seats and were amazed at the bench and the three on the tree.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

I have read of kids being amazed at hand crank roll up windows.   :001:
Seems like every time I get in my '58 ranchero, (with the damn slant six & auto trans   >:( ), I reach for the column shifter that ain?t there. 
Three on the tree:
Couple years ago I had a 72 Econoline shipped down here from Fairbanks.  Went to pick it up & someone had to bring it around from the yard.  After a fairly long wait I look out the office back window.  Van is sittin' right there running & the late 20s - early 30s guy is studying the shifter.  Had to show him how it worked. :dontknow:

Then the late 20s mechanical engineer, (no mechanic!),  I was helping with the POS Ford PU he'd just bought.  I took it for a drive & found that the reverse on the shifter was where 2nd should be.  Both seller & buyer apparently had no clue.  :(

lowrider

I recall in the mid 90's kids that couldnt drive sticks, didnt get the idea of pumping the gas pedal to set the choke & seemed amazed watching me adjusting the valves on my yblock while it was running. Although he kicked & screamed I made my kid learn how to drive a stick. After a bit he did just fine.

hiball3985

Sorry this post strayed from the original question but I guess it stirs up memories for some of us. A few years ago I took my '60 Panel to Costco for tires, it's been converted to a floor shift. The poor kid sat in the seat looking all over the steering column for the ignition, I had to show him where it was, then he looked at the shifter and at me some what puzzled and when I told him it was a three speed he got this dumb founded look on his face, threw his hands up and asked me to drive it into the bay...
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

Quote from: clubcoupe57 on 2013-01-08 19:02
Hi Guys, has anyone put a floor shifter to a ford-o-matic , I can find alot for c4 and c6 but none for ford-a-matic, some might wonder why I would want to put a floor shift in, kinda like the old school look! Thanks

Find a floor shifter from a 55-57 Tbird. They also had a Ford-o-Matic. See photo.

Might be hard to find and pricey.

Rob

hiball3985

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

wv 57s forever

amaze youths with changing from  high to low beam without letting you hands leave the wheel.

:005:

Ford Blue blood

Just trying to remember the last "three on the tree" that was produced?  I just keep coming up with mid 70s.....for that matter the last 3 speed manual (non-light truck)....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II