News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

progress update

Started by hiball3985, 2013-01-30 11:47

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I'll see if I can get all this correct, I'm worn out at this point. I had to cut the 57 column approx 1 3/8 to fit the 58 box. This may be a good thing I won't have to move the seat back as far as I planned.  I ground a flt spot on the 58 shaft so the 57 wheel would fit. I want the same type wheel as you, I don't like the big horn ring and hope to find one some day.

The 57 box is a worn and sector set up, these where never the best. The 58 box is a recirculating ball type and far superior.

This morning I installed the box, column and everything as far as wiring works because its the 57 column, except the horn wire, I will just hook up a button somewhere on the column.
Installed the clutch/brake pedal and all the linkage, equalizer bar, shift linkage. Drain the trans.

Tomorrow I will start assembling the front suspension.

You can't confuse me Jay, I can do that on my own  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Riball,
   Sounds like a good days work! Who said old dogs just lay around and sleep! Lol :003:
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

hiball3985

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2013-02-02 16:15
Riball,
   Sounds like a good days work! Who said old dogs just lay around and sleep! Lol :003:
I'll be more then happy to get back to being an old dog again  :003: I've been using a lot of body parts that I don't usually use and I ache everywhere  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

link=topic=3901.msg24777#msg24777 date=1359839597]
I'll see if I can get all this correct, I'm worn out at this point. I had to cut the 57 column approx 1 3/8 to fit the 58 box. This may be a good thing I won't have to move the seat back as far as I planned.  I ground a flt spot on the 58 shaft so the 57 wheel would fit. I want the same type wheel as you, I don't like the big horn ring and hope to find one some day.

The 57 box is a worn and sector set up, these where never the best. The 58 box is a recirculating ball type and far superior.

This morning I installed the box, column and everything as far as wiring works because its the 57 column, except the horn wire, I will just hook up a button somewhere on the column.
Installed the clutch/brake pedal and all the linkage, equalizer bar, shift linkage. Drain the trans.

Tomorrow I will start assembling the front suspension.

You can't confuse me Jay, I can do that on my own  :003:
[/quote]
  You got a lot of work done for one day.  I have a few more years on you   and am thankful that I can still lay on my back and pull a transmission and work on my cars.  That's some useful information on the difference between the 57 and 58 box.  You should get a little more room by cutting the column to fit the 58 box.  I wonder if that is the reason that Henry changed it in 58.

hiball3985

Jay, I'm glad you can do these things too. My health isn't the best so that doesn't help either, I tire out easily. I have no idea why they shortened it but the extra room is welcome. I never felt cramped in my Custom 300's but I feel it in the Ranchero. Part of this may be the seats seem to be more padded then the original. I'm 6' 1" so I need all the room I can get..
Speaking of transmissions, I would like to put one of the top loader 4 speeds that have overdrive in it. I have a regular top loader that maybe I can swap with some one.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

So close, but not quite. Put the front suspension all back in but the sway bar got the best of me and I had to quit for the day  :old:, just the shocks are left to do. I will have to sleep through the Super Bowl this year    :sleepy1:  :006:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

If all goes well today I will be getting new tires. I sure had a hard time finding the size I wanted, not many companies are producing 14" tires anymore that I can afford. So I'm ending up with Korean tires  :005: but I least I will be driving it  :003: less a dash panel for the time being..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
    What size 14" tires did you get and if you have already installed them, how do they look?   A side picture would be even better.
Jay

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-02-14 11:07
Jim
    What size 14" tires did you get and if you have already installed them, how do they look?   A side picture would be even better.
Jay
Jay, I ended up with 215 70R 14. It had 205 75R 14 on it but they were 14 years old. I expected a wider tire and was a little worried about clearance. Not to be! todays tire sizes aren't what they use to be, the 215 wasn't any wider then the old 205. Unfortunately there isn't a big choice these days in 14's, not many make them any more. Mine isn't a show car or a racer and for what I use it for I couldn't justify buying new rims. As far as looks, which I'm not overly concerned about, they a round and black  :003: nothing fancy. I'll see if I can get a pix later today. The great part was being able to drive it further then around the block, I've already put 50 miles on it. I'm still working on my dash panel so I have no gauges and just guessing at the speed 
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

New tires and back on the road, sort of. The 58 steering gear box makes a world of difference.. Look, the oranges are almost ripe, it's 78 degrees today :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Hiball,
   That is one sweet ride you have! How does the front end feel now that it is all rebuilt? Love the color combo also!

hiball3985

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2013-02-14 16:24
Hiball,
   That is one sweet ride you have! How does the front end feel now that it is all rebuilt? Love the color combo also!
Thanks Tim, with all the new suspension and the 58 box she drives like a dream :003: I'm not a fan of red, I would prefer solid black but that is what I will have to live with..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Hiball,
   "And that's what makes a horse race" That is what my Dad would always say when two different opinions collided! I was glad to here about the night and day difference in handling. My next winter project is total front suspension overhaul, adding a power brake booster, and power steering. That should eat up my time and money :005: Lol! Agian sweeeet ride!
Thanks,

hiball3985

It's funny how things work out. Red has always been my least favorite color, but when I built my panel truck I painted it a red, a mid 70's GM color, Firethorn Red  :003: SO now I have two red ones  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Hiball,
   I like the panel wagon a lot! I could just think of all the trouble I could get into with that! I think it has a lot more fire in that color then red :003:.