News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Engine colour?

Started by Limey57, 2013-02-05 16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Sorry, color......

I'm sure I've asked this but I'll be damned if I can find it.  I'm taking my block to be bored in a couple of weeks so I'm sorting the paint for it.  I've seen 57's with black, blue or red blocks, what colour (sorry, COLOR!!!) should it be?

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

wildhog

57's Should be Red engine ,black valve covers and Argent silver air cleaner.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

RICH MUISE

As long as we're on colours..should I leave my aluminum block 4.6 aluminum, or paint it?
No, I'm not going to polish it....I don't think..well, maybe...NO!...Well it would look good and I don't have anything sheduled for 2014.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich you do have too much time to think!........ :003:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

4thgen57

I am no expert however I have pics of my Y when I got it out of storage after 21 years, (It sat in a barn from 1979 to 2000 and I degreased the engine. The block was more or an orange color, with a red air cleaner. the valve covers were indeed black however the stickers on the valve covers are listed as 1955 stickers? in any parts book I look at. Since my Dad has been with the car since day 1, I am confident that it has never been out of my fender wells. Just my 2 cents and any info would be appreciated.

Lou

4thgen57...Which engine, where was your car built, what date code?

rmk57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-02-05 19:39
As long as we're on colours..should I leave my aluminum block 4.6 aluminum, or paint it?
No, I'm not going to polish it....I don't think..well, maybe...NO!...Well it would look good and I don't have anything sheduled for 2014.

Paint it the same colour as the body. As long as the inner fenders are a different colour than the body it should look pretty good.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-02-05 19:39As long as we're on colours..should I leave my aluminum block 4.6 aluminum, or paint it?
Leave it aluminum!  Then you will never have any paint to flake off & it will always be easy to refresh the aluminum with whatever.  Scotch bright pads maybe.
I'll polish aluminum but I never, ever paint it.  Not that I am saying to polish that block.  Too much work to get it right.

4thgen57

Its a 272, ECG casting on block with ECZ-G heads. This has puzzled me for a while.

sprink88

I always thought the original colors were red or yellow?
~Chris

Frankenstein57

I painted the Y-block t-bird red, it leans toward orange. A couple of my GM buddies were calling it Chevy orange, so we compared the two colors. Its not that orange, Mark

4thgen57

I need to compare mine. It looks Orange to me. I will see if I can scan some pics of the engine after I degreased  it.

Tom S

Except for that damn aftermarket rocker arm oiler gizmo this looks stock & as I remember '56s & '57s.
Not sure on the valve cover color though.

57 Ford Kustom

Tom,   
   That oiler looks Hi Tech! I remember as a Kid my Dad would cut strips of a wool blanket, soak them in oil and lay them over the valves! LOl
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

Man...you had it tough growing up...we've all heard stories about walking 2 miles thru 4 feet of snow to get to school, holes in shoes, etc......but wood blankets, and not even complaining about it..wow now that WAS tough.
LOL...sorry couldn't resist
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe