News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Last chance

Started by Frankenstein57, 2013-02-06 19:21

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

That's alot of clamps!!
Not to get off topic again, but your car's looking good..although I know you got paint on it now.
I don'r remember seeing any pics since the paint was finished...or are you still buffing, or assembling?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Flange and stepping up? I tested out a pnuematic tool that prints a flat step or flange, then the other fucntion was it punched a hole in the overlapping panel for a spot weld, is this what we are talking about? Anything to keep from welding on the body, I'm all in. My friend who helped me on this 57 so far,has a 63 Nova that is tubbed and stubbed. He decided the wheel wells needed to be welded to the quarters, made a serious mess of them, still trying to straighten them out, :violent5: Mark

gasman826

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-02-12 10:52
That's alot of clamps!!
Not to get off topic again, are you still buffing, or assembling?
Still wet sanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zapato

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2013-02-12 17:36
Flange and stepping up? I tested out a pnuematic tool that prints a flat step or flange, then the other fucntion was it punched a hole in the overlapping panel for a spot weld, is this what we are talking about? Anything to keep from welding on the body, I'm all in. My friend who helped me on this 57 so far,has a 63 Nova that is tubbed and stubbed. He decided the wheel wells needed to be welded to the quarters, made a serious mess of them, still trying to straighten them out, :violent5: Mark

that's exactly what we're talking about, and the mess you mentioned is exactly why using panel adhesives is a great idea.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ecode70D

Mark
     That's what we are talking about.  I have both flanging tools air and manual.  I would recommend the manual.  It looks like a pair of vice grips.  They are made in two sizes about 1/2" wide and about 1" wide.  The air one could run away with you and warp a panel if you are not accustomed to doing it.  Even after all these years, I use the manual one. 
      When you have cut your quarter where you want it  and put the new one up against the flange that you have made, everything is nice and flat after it is bonded together.  All you will need is a little filler to cover the edge.  If you do this under your side trim, it will be not noticeable.
       This is the way to do it without putting heat on it and warping the metal.
        Body shops are using this method today.  Those cars are out in the hot sun and extremely cold , wet weather and snow.  So they have been doing it long enough that they have stood the test of time in my honest opinion. 
Jay   

Ecode70D

Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-02-12 18:34
Still wet sanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gary   I'm still at the wet sanding stage.  It seems to never end and I really really don't like it.  Some day this coming summer, I hope to finish wet sanding mine and spray some paint on it.  Sometimes I just get tempted to just put the trim and bumpers on it and drive it in primer like we kids did in
the 50s and called it done.  Things were so simple then.

gasman826

Flanging panels is not the preferred method on jointing two finish panels due to the rust issue in the joint of a welded panel.  That is way there is so much to do about butt welding finish seams.  Using panel adhesive eliminates or greatly reduces the rust in the seam issue.  The adhesive no only bonds the seam but it also seals the seam for rust protection.  Flanging and panel adhesive work great together.

Ecode70D

Mark  I sent  you a PM.  I finally got my computer working so that I can send and receive email and PMs.  Jay

Frankenstein57

How about this for panel warpage, this was under a sheet of bondo on this body I gave up on. It was where rust repair and big dent intersect.  Mark

RICH MUISE

Man that bondo looks about 1/2" thick in one area. Ha! If we were into ratrods I'd tell ya to clearcoat it and call it done.

Ecode70D

Based on what I see in the single photograph, it appears that the person who made the repair started with a good solid replacement panel and was unable to control the welding heat. 
    How good is the rest of the car?  In my opinion, anything can be repaired.   

Frankenstein57

Jay, the car is pretty soft all over. The windshield frame has several soft spots with holes, hinge pockets, rockers,in and out.Quarters in front and back of the wheel,I already put floor pans in it, and body mounts. This is a classic case of buying an old car off an ebay picture. The tail was also shot around the bumper area. As Rich would say,  sheeeet! After I repainted the 58, I learned about body work, and started looking for a more solid piece. What I paid will offset the many hours of bodywork this thing needed.  Mark :homer:

RICH MUISE

That really falls into the category of saving a car. Awesome you're doing that. A lot of folks wouldn't have. By the way, speaking of saving Rancheros, on the hamb, "ExStreamliner" has updated his photo gallery on the chopped Ranchero he is saving. The album has over 200 pics. Check it out if you haven't already.

Ford Blue blood

Those guys are doing some awsome work!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

impressive isn't it? I wonder if he's building it for a customer..they gotta have really deep pockets. Also if you notice in some of the component pics...he's got 2 or 3 sets of alot of things going on there.core supports,splash shields, etc.