News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

STATE OF EMERGENCY

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-02-08 16:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I lost power Friday night just as I was about to push the button  on a letter to the forum thanking all of the guys for their concern about the coming snow storm.   It came back on today Monday.
    When the two blizzards converged outside, it sounded like freight trains were passing by my house.  We actually had thunder snow.  I never heard of anything like that. 
    Well I have learned to appreciate the things that I normally take for granted.   Without the lights, we had no heat and no water also because we have a well and the pump is driven by electricity.
     About 10-15 years ago, I stored about 5 days of wood in the cellar.   Over the years I thought that the wood was taking up valuable part storing space, but always managed to not dump it out.  Well that is what helped us to survive and I didn't  have to take my wife to the shelter. I wouldn't have been able to do that anyways because even if I could get her into the truck, I couldn't go anywhere .  The phones were not working and even the cell phones were shut down.  With the wood stove, we had hot coffee and hot food every day.  The stories will go on and on about the unfortunate people who had no food and no heat and had to be transported by ambulance to the shelter.  Lots of houses along the shore line were destroyed. Now those people are homeless. So I am thankful to God for protecting us. We did not suffer any damage to our home.  The wood stove kept our pipes from freezing and bursting.
      My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those who are coping as best as they can.  It is not just Massachusetts that is in trouble.  All of the surrounding states are.
      Thanks again for all of your concerns.  Rich  I hope that your sister got off the cape before this started. Cape Cod got their share of the storm also. 
Jay Ecode70D               

RICH MUISE

Glad to hear from you buddy, I was a little worried. Sounds like you had planned well for it..good for you. "Wood stove" now that's not something you see in homes too often anymore. Hope your home and garages, etc. don't have a problem with too much snow weight.
Last I talked to my sister, they had planned on heading south around mid to late January after getting home from a Christmas with their daughter in Spain. LOL..even if they got caught there, I've always teased my brother-in-law he had "money to burn" anyways.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Good news you are safe and well. We lost power for 5 days in Dec 2011 and it makes you aware how dependent we are on electricity. Luckily I still have an old time gas heater with a pilot light and no blowers so we were warm. But it sure got boring :005: just candle light at night and doing some reading, just like the old days before people had electricity  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
That's right..I did get caught up on reading with a candle / flashlight .   I think those things with the pages are called books.  I would assume that the young kids today don't even know what they are.
Jay

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-02-11 06:39
The good news is according to an article I just read, all power is suppose to be back on by tomorrow. Bad news is, they are expecting rain which could be a major problem with the weight of snow on roofs and such.
That's right Rich. Now it's raining.
     I just heard that a family in Plymouth just got their infant child to the hospital today and he is suffering from some sort of heat loss and is in serious condition.  It is not easy when you have no utilities, no phones and can't get out of the driveway.  Around here, even the cell phones were not working.  I hope that everything works out well for that family. 
     We are warm and dry and I have no complaints.
      Have you heard from your sister down the cape yet?
Jay

57 Ford Kustom

Jay,
   Glad to hear you and your family are safe and secure! I have a wood stove in my house just for that very reason. We all were worried about you, glad you are back
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

sprink88

I am happy to hear everyone made it out ok. wow. Helluva storm.
~Chris

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-02-11 12:49
"Wood stove" now that's not something you see in homes too often anymore. Hope your home and garages, etc. don't have a problem with too much snow weight.
Rich  I put the wood stove in over 30 years ago when I bought this place. I learned one more thing with this storm.  "Be prepared".  As soon as things clear up, I'm going to put more logs back in the cellar, parts storage space notwithstanding.   On the 5:00 news this evening, roofs have been collapsing as a result of snow weight.  People are paying $500 to $1000 just to have snow removed from their roofs. I have a lot of pitch to the house roof.  The garage is another story, but so far there is not much snow on it.  The garage is 40'X60' and that is a lot of shoveling.   I remember how I used to get up there 30 years ago when I built it.  Now at my age, I don't feel so much like going up there anymore.   I do keep one car in a big aluminum insulated truck box with an overhead door.  The door is a little stuck , so that roof  is sagging a little.  I don't mind getting up there and shoveling that one.  So I'll go up there tomorrow and clear it.  I've had this happen before with that flat roof. 
    Oh by the way it is raining now and there is another snow storm coming in a couple of days according to the weather persons on the television.
     Thank you and all of the guys for your concerns and postings about my welfare.  Jay   

Jerrys Kars

I know you guys have heard of a snow rake for the roof. Works great on a ranch style house. Or get on a ladder and reach as far as you can. It is rather youth oriented though. Wish you had my snow blower up there. Bought it three yrs ago and used it one time. It needs a little exercise.

Ecode70D

Quote from: Jerrys Kars on 2013-02-11 17:47
Or get on a ladder and reach as far as you can. It is rather youth oriented though. Wish you had my snow blower up there.
Jerry  I know what you mean about a youth oriented job.  Jay

RICH MUISE

Greeting from the nice warm south. I thought this would make you Northern guys smile.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I don't know how you guys handle it. I just got my shorts out and you guys are giving me chills  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
      Send some of that good weather to Mass.
      It looks like  Rich needs some in Texas also.   Enjoy your good warm weather.
      There has to be some sort of a law stating you shouldn't be so nice and comfortable.
      Actually I just made up a law...   Playjob 105 Section 2 clearly states in the fine print that you should not be warm and happy in California on Tuesdays.
      So you are in violation!   There ,Now I feel better!   (Smile)
Jay in Mass.

Ford Blue blood

Got it going on there....the weather gurus are saying "flurries" Saturday for us now in Birmingham and northern AL.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-02-12 12:09
Jim  Send some of that good weather to Mass. and Rich needs some also
Jay
If I could I would send you guys truck loads. Times like this is when I'm glad I left the east. But I have to worry about earth quakes when I'm under the cars on jack stands  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang