News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

STATE OF EMERGENCY

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-02-08 16:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

We are in a state of emergency here in Mass.  Two large blizzards are expected to converge this evening and last the night. 
    No one is allowed to be out driving on the streets since 12:00 noon today.  The governor stated..  "If caught on the roads without a valid reason like wife is having a child, $500 fine or 1 year in jail".
    Public transportation has been cancelled at about 3:00.
    We are getting different weather reports depending on which news station you are watching.  On the tv,they keep showing the streets of Boston with no cars on the streets.  This is not unlike the blizzard of 78 when there was a driving ban. I was on the job stationed on a highway ramp with orders that no one was allowed to leave the highway.  The ramp in Boston where I was stationed was to the FBI building.  I did let all of those guys get off the highway.  I don't know what happened to all the other other vehicles that were not allowed to leave the highway.  Most people complied and there were not that many vehicles  out during those days.  The no driving ban in 78 lasted for about 5 days as I recall.  I do recall that the National Guard was on duty also and that they were confiscating  4 wheel drive vehicles that they stopped people with. I do know one guy that this happened to and when he got it back, it had a blown up busted rear end.
     I went out yesterday and got plenty of food, water  and supplies.  We are expected to lose power this evening. They have said it so often that it is almost like a promise. I have a wood stove for back up thank God.             

Ford Blue blood

I know you have your family secure, sounds like you have all the bases covered.  You stay safe, too many nuts out there.  Did the no power thing for five days while living in TN in 94, put in a pilot light hot water heater after that one.  No problem with staying warm, closed off the entire house except the bedroom, bath and kitchen.  Used blankets to do that.  Coffee was one the gas range, food stayed cold in the snow bank on the north side of the house, cooked everything up on the grill that was in the freezer after it got soft.  Just need to keep an eye out for the butt heads that are going to roam around looking for an easy mark!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Tom S

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-02-08 16:16... I was on the job stationed on a highway ramp with orders that no one was allowed to leave the highway.
WTF?  Were they just supposed to sit on the road & freeze? ???

57 Ford Kustom

ECODE,
   It is good to be north of you! Where I am in Vermont, we are expected to only get 18"-24" out of this storm. I have a back up generator, so we will be fine. I pray you and your family stay safe. Our roads are full of flat landers heading to the ski area even with the storm  :075:
Stay safe,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

Hope things don't get too bad your way..I'll be watching the news. I think my sister that lives a few miles down the road should be in their Florida home by now. If you lose power, give us a buzz when you get back on. Stay warm and safe
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

sprink88

wow, I keep hearing about it. But it doesn't mean anything until you know (or kind of) the guy that it is happening to.
~Chris

Lou

I'm in Connecticut near the shore, it's about 2 Am, we have got 12 inches on the ground and the storm has another 8 hours to go. Wind is blowing like hell, I've got a 3 foot drift in my driveway. Plenty of food in the house, all is well hope the rest of the New England, New York,& Jersey guys are good too.

57 Ford Kustom

Lou,
   I am in the heart of Vermont, we only have about 12" right now, but it is only 7:00 am. Keep safe Lou, Ecode, etc.

hiball3985

Good luck, I hope you make it through this one without too many problems. Just from what I've seen on the news it looks bad.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

The nuclear power plant in Plymouth, one town over from Jay (ecode70D)lost power last night and went into auto shut down...no danger, but no power either. Hope  they are not out for too long and everybody prepared for this as they should have with all the advanced warning.

57 Ford Kustom

Six Hours of snow blowing is almost as bad as block sanding! Lol

Lou

Well we got 38 inches of snow, 5 foot high drifts. I'm the last house on a short dead end street so we'll see a somwplow sometime in early May The powers is still on so all is well. The snow is a pita, but it is rather pretty.

RICH MUISE

Sometime in may...funny, sorta. Glad you have power.
Tim..your young...6 hrs of snowblowing would be followed by a call to the paramedics for most of us here.
Hope our friends in Mass. are doing ok. I just happened to remember that aside from Jay (Ecode70D), we have another member from Mass.who does some occasional posting. Sorry I can't remember his tag.
Rich

57 Ford Kustom

Rich,
   You are right. But, some days it seems like if I'm not complaining, I'm not saying anything at all! Lol. Besides I just found out that I have two more Grand children on the way! :003: If that doesn't make you feel old, nothing will! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Lou!
Thanks,
Tim

RICH MUISE

I'd sure like to hear something from Jay. His area near Plymouth, Mass. was the hardest hit. The good news is according to an article I just read, all power is suppose to be back on by tommorrow. Bad news is, they are expecting rain which could be a major problem with the weight of snow on roofs and such.