News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Is this true???

Started by 05gt, 2013-02-12 21:48

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

So i'm looking into this whole brake swap idea aagain, when I came across this kit on ebay. (Basically the same thing as Scarebired)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1958-1959-FORD-FAIRLANE-GALAXIE-CUSTOM-FRONT-DISC-BRAKES-/200892094311?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec61a1767&vxp=mtr

So I emailed the seller as he states it just bolts right on, and he said that this kit does not require a porportionign valvce or dual master cylinder, although some people do add these items. I currently have manual brakes all teh way around, and don't mind keeping them that way, but is it true from your experience that you can run a kit like this and just basically just hook it up at the wheels to your exsisting hardlines? I have zero experience with doing new hardlines, so I'm just looking for the easiest sollution while keeping as much stock as possible. I also found this kit, which includes everything you supposedly need, minus the lines.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1964-FORD-FULLSIZE-GALAXIE-FRONT-DISC-BRAKE-CONVERSION-/330786479464?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d04691d68&vxp=mtr

But once agian, the less I have to dig into, the happier I'll be. Would be nice to be able to switch it back easily one day if the reason ever arose. So what's your takes on this? I've done a couple of searchs, but this guy sounded confident I'd be on with the base kit.

Ford Blue blood

NO!  Disc brakes require a much higher line pressure to operate as you would like them to.  Installing disc on the fron and running your stock will give you rear brakes only.  The 57 Ford master cylinder is 1 1/8" diameter, many manual disc brake masters are 13/16, 7/8 & 15/16, any larger and you will need a booster.  On large cars (>3200 lbs) a dual 7" is marginal, a dual 8" will get the job done but will require much more pedal pressure then a larger 12" - 14" booster.

If I were you I would stick with the stock drums or if you feel the need to upgrade go with 60 Ford wagon, 61, 2 or 3 hi performance drums (they are three inches) and those will bolt on.  Get the backing plate out for those 3" brakes or the entire spindle assembly.

Seriously, the stock brakes properly maintained and adjusted properly will give good - great service for every day driving.  Just MHO.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

Looks like a nice kit, but spend the extra $$$ and get the dual master, power or manual. And get the proportioning valve. If you do the swap. Mark

05gt

Thanks for he input fellas, I really appreciate it. That's one reason though why I haven't done this swap yet the past few years, I just don't know how much of a diffrence it'll make by swaping the fronts out to discs. The car stops "ok" now, just wanted a little more reassurance though if she's moving along pretty good. On the flip side, I may only drive her 500 miles a year tops, and most of it's around town or a few highway runs. No racing though or "spirited" driving. I guess a good question with this is the juice really worth the squeeze in this case?

KULTULZ

FYI-

The vendor is not knowledgeable.

You can use a single reservoir MC but is disc specific (1965-1966) (dual outlet - OS single reservoir) and only came through with a booster. Dual reservoir MC became STD in 1967.

A disc/drum application has to have a front metering valve and a rear proportioning valve. These are available free standing but it is easier to go with a combination valve (includes front metering valve - pressure differential valve- proportioning valve). There also has to be a #10 residual valve in the rear drum circuit. A dual reservoir manual disc/drum MC is available if you don't want/need to go with a vacuum booster.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

whisper38

I ordered this kit,and it looks great.I plan on installing it once I get the ranchero finished the minor body work.