News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Who would have thought

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2013-02-21 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

I have a FMX attached to my 351W, which was out of a Cougar originally. I have a Auto Lite 4100 carb, and a performer intake. but, the kick down linkage isn't even close to reaching the kick down, who would have thought! Any idea's out there?
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Zapato

It is a rod so figure out how much longer it needs to be and braze/weld a piece into it. If you figure you will need adjustability head down to your local ACE hardware store and find a piece of threaded tube and you can either thread your existing rod or again braze/weld in some threaded rodand use the tube to hold it together.

Or ask the manifold manufacturer if they have an easier solution.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57 Ford Kustom

57chero

I used a lokar setup on my 351W C4 works great.

57 Ford Kustom

Chero,
   I have two different throttle arms I could use. I emailed pics to Lokar, they said that neither would work.

gasman826

Don't you just love the 'can do' attitude of aftermarker companies.

Ford Blue blood

Tim I have been running a 351C/FMX in my 36 with 136K miles since 1980 with no kick down.  It has performed flawlessly, kicks down as it should at full throttle, upshifts as it should.  Give it a try....might save a little teeth gnashing.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57 Ford Kustom

I think that the after market guys are to set in the perimeters of their text books! I don't think (I know) they don't have an answer for guys that think out side the box. I said to the guy, I have 1 1/8" of pull on my throttle bracket, I can create a hole further up to shorten the pull length if I need to. What is the pull length required? His response, " we at lokart do not support the altering of original manufacturers standards in any way. Sheeeet, where would this country be if we didn't think out side the box! I'm going to go under the car and measure my own throw, and make something work. Some very,very interesting comments FBb, I wouldn't think the tranny would respond well without a kick down. Do you have any lags, or delays in performance? There you go THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX ! Lol :003:
Thanks,

57 Ford Kustom

Wait, I just thought of where this country would be if we Americans didn't think outside the box. We would still be under English rule! Lol!

Zapato

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2013-02-22 11:17
Wait, I just thought of where this country would be if we Americans didn't think outside the box. We would still be under English rule! Lol!

And we'd be cursing Lucas electric components and drinking warm beer.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Drank my share of warm beer in Hong Kong at the Royal Navy Enlisted Mens' Club, just wasn't right or nothing to write home about. Sure got a buzz but as I said just not right.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ford Blue blood

Tim never noticed any "bad behavior" from it at all.  It was one of those "I'll get round tuit" thinks, just never saw the need to rush into getting done!

Zap, had more beers in the Honk Kong Navy club then you can throw a stick at....come to think of it, I couldn't throw anything!  Did a replay in Singapore too....then on to Sidney (they would not accept our money in the pubs there) followed by a much better time in Wellington!  Ya kinda get used to that warm (room temperature) beer.  They finally figured it out, in the Gulf all the Fosters was chilled! :003:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II