News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

thought for the day

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-02-23 11:00

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Before I get to my thought for the day..a little on what got me to there. I'm kinda at a standstill on my '57 till I get some more things I need, and the weather warms up a bit. In the meantime I've been spending a lot of time on the computer..mostly the hamb. After spending 5 or 6 hours one one thread on abandoned vehicle/old mining/hiking  expeditions around Arizona, I got to reading a thread on old hot rods and customs of the 50's and 60's around Boston. Alot of nastalgic pics and stuff on it. Anyways..I stumbled on to a pic of an old car that has an excellent chance of being the one I sold in 1964. It was a channeled, fenderless 32 Ford Cabriolet..a very uncommon car even back then, The owner of the one in the pic is from the same general area as the one I sold, and the time frame would be correct. The good news is, the owner of the car in the thread is still alive and active in hot rodding, and may even be a Hamb member. I posted a pic of mine and now I'm waiting for some responses..this has been kinda exciting for me..brings back alot of old memories.
Anyways..back to the title of this thread.."thought for the day":
Back when I owned that OLD '32, in 1964, it was only 32 years old. Putting that in perspective...it would be the same as a 1980 today. Is that wierd or what?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

6cyl57

I spend waaaaaay to much time on the HAMB.  I really like all those vintage pictures.
that will be  cool if its your old one.

RICH MUISE

Me too, but it has been incredibly educating. Lot's of '57 owners on there, but very little posting, I suspect because very few of them are Hamb friendly. Vintage photos..I haven't even gotten very deep into that thread...maybe 20 pages or so.there's over 3300 pages of vintage stuff on that one thread..heck, that would take a month of 6 hour days.
The one one the arizona abandoned vehicles is really inteesting. Apparently for a period of time in Arizona, old cars were used as flood control in a lot of the washes..it's amazing what they're finding up in areas not frequented by people (just snakes, scorpions, black widows, etc.)

Zapato

Rich, A link to that thread and post # would really be nice.

zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Frankenstein57

Sounds like you need to get that heater in the shop

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-02-23 11:44
Rich, A link to that thread and post # would really be nice.

zap- :unitedstates:
The vintage photo, the 50's and 60's in Boston, or the Arizona Thread?

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2013-02-23 12:29
Sounds like you need to get that heater in the shop
LOL..more than heat I need to get it tight and insulated. Last month I decided I'd go with a torpedo type Kerosene heater when I found out they can also run on diesel. $4 a gallon is a whole lot better than $11. I figured I'd use it to get heat into the garage then let the electric heaters take over. Firt time I used it, worked great..in 15 minutes it brought the temp from 30 to 70. a few hours later, it was getting cold in there again, so I turned it back on. Flames shot out the front about a foot. After 1/2 minute or so, it started to calm down a little, then I noticed it was spitting diesel fuel out the front about 4 or 5 feet. Sheeet!! drained it and took it back to the store. The plummer wants 1500. to run a gas line to the garage so I can use a big house type standing furnace I have. Ain't in the budget for now. This summer I'll get it insulated so it'll be a lesser problem. When it's windy, I just can't keep it warm...and that's about 1/2 the time here.

RICH MUISE

Zap...I'll try to copy those here..
50's/60's Boston: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763581
Exploring Arizona: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669534
Vintage pics: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428585
The post number on the 50's Boston era stuff with the car that I think may have been mine is post #39..(the green cabriolet), he identifies it in post #45, and my posts with my pic are 130 and 131.

Zapato

actually wasn't hard to track down, followed your postings on your page. was just being a bit impatient.my apologies

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

No problem buddy...I need to figure out how to transfer links efficiently anyways...always takes me 3 or 4 tries different ways to get it done.

LAUDY57

I was able to get a furnace(heater) from an old ATCO trailer runs on diesel (same as furnace oil), has a bottom outlet which I deflect outwards, uses a thermostat and, like you said Rich, I have it on long enough so the radiant electric heaters can hold the temp.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

Ecode70D

Rich
   Let us know when you have a link to your 32 cabriolet.  I didn't find it.
    I sent you an answer to your PM
Jay

RICH MUISE

Jay...I posted the link above...it's the first of the three.

Frankenstein57

Rich, I hate those torpedo heaters, be careful using one of those. The gas line could be done alot cheaper, but if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself,probably not a good place to practice. Mark

Ecode70D

[quote author=Frankenstein57
Rich, I hate those torpedo heaters, be careful using one of those. The gas line could be done alot cheaper, but if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself,probably not a good place to practice. Mark
[/quote]

Rich
     Everything Mark stated is absolutely the gospel truth.
     Those torpedo heaters are very dangerous.  "BE CAREFUL WITH IT"
      What ever happened to the days when the gas company would install the line for free so that they would have a new customer?
Jay