News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rocker arm stud question

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2013-02-23 16:05

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

Rich,
   The nut splitter worked, thanks for the tip! I purchased all new locking nuts from NAPA. The stud appeared to be fine, but when I went to torque that one down it wouldn't. I used my caliper and set the hieght to the hieght that the others torqued down to. I hope it is enough, I cant find a stud listed any where!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

hiball3985

351W has pressed in studs the best I remember. That means pulling the head and taking it to a shop to have a new one pressed in. When I did the heads on my 302 I had all screw in studs put in. Just a thought and I've never tried it but you might be able to drill and tap it in place if you are daring. Just make sure you seal everything around it to catch the chips.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Hyball,
   I'm thinking of getting some different heads next year anyway, maybe some Edelbrock. I am just hoping that the nut wont loosen on that stud,and will hold out for a the summer.

hiball3985

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2013-03-04 19:02
Hyball,
   I'm thinking of getting some different heads next year anyway, maybe some Edelbrock. I am just hoping that the nut wont loosen on that stud,and will hold out for a the summer.
Can you get another nut on top of that one?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Hyball,
   I never thought about double nutting it! I would have to get another lock nut though correct?

RICH MUISE

I wouldn't think so. Just spin the 2nd nut down to the first then tighten them together. Jam nuts are thinner than standard, and are used for that purpose...but any nut should serve to lock. HOWEVER...why is that nut not torquing? If the stud is a press fit type, it could be not torquing because the stud is spinning in the hole and is no longer press fit....and your actually pulling it out when you try to tighten the nut?  Posibly you could have loosened it in your earlier attempts to remove it/the nut?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

It sounds like just the threads went bad. I would clean it really good and double nut it with plenty of loctite..  :003: Any port in a storm.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

If it was just that the threads were bad that should be easy to see.  I am inclined to agree with Rich.
Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-03-04 20:28
...why is that nut not torquing? If the stud is a press fit type, it could be not torquing because the stud is spinning in the hole and is no longer press fit....and
your actually pulling it out when you try to tighten the nut?  Posibly you could have loosened it in your earlier attempts to remove it/the nut?
If that is the case it should be easy to if tell that the stud is higher off the deck than the others.  I'd be very skeptical about it staying in place for long on a running engine.
I think I would be looking into doing this now rather than later ...
Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-03-04 17:56... you might be able to drill and tap it in place if you are daring. Just make sure you seal everything around it to catch the chips.

57 Ford Kustom

Tom,
   I placed a straight edge across the top of the studs, they are all the same height. When I removed the nut, the threads were there, I didn't have my reading glasses, but my 18yr old son looked and confirmed this. I think then were partially rounded, and the new nut cant bite on as well.