News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

stainless trim fasteners

Started by rlibew, 2013-03-04 21:59

Previous topic - Next topic

rlibew

Does anyone have diagrams and instructions for installing stainless trim on a fairlane 500. I have purchased fasteners from Mac's and I'm having trouble figuring them out, none seem to fit right Is there a 57 Ford trim book out there,I have shop manual but no help on this problem.

RICH MUISE

the info I think is in the trim and sealant manual. I won't be home for a week, so I can't verify it for you. I found what I needed...or at least worked...at my paint supply shop. For my Custom, I used the nylon ones for where they snap into the square holes, and of course the metal ones that use the threaded post/nut.
PS..any engine install updates to do in the engine section??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rlibew

do you know where the trim and sealent manual can be obtained

Ford Blue blood

Just go to 57 Ford "litature and publications" on ebay, it will run in the 15 - 25 range.  Valuable books to have, it and the wiring diagrams!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rlibew

Thanks I found the trim and sealant manual in the Mac's catalog. Not sure what plastic fasteners you used but I will go by a paint supply as well. I'm also finding out my front fender lower trim has slight crown in it after already being straightened and polished, so back to the polisher. My 57 has been in body work for the last month and is now straight and all gapes and panels fit very well, the front fender mounting holes where welded up as previous owner drilled many holes that were not quite right. Hope to have paint later this month with any luck as it is ready, just one more glide coat and block sanding treatment. Trim and fasteners is now the challenge as this car had none of the original fastener and much of the trim was missing mounting hardware all together. The mounts on the roof crown over the drip rail had some after market clips and at the rear window they were missing so don't have qlue what holds it done at that location.

57AGIN

rlibew:

Nice to see another 57 member posting in So Cal.  Let's see if we can hook up sometime, maybe we can get robhaerr, Rick and KidKourier to join us, too.

Bob
57 AGIN

Frankenstein57

One lesson I learned installing my trim, the fasteners are installed on the car first, then you pinch the two tabs together to lock them in place. The stainless is then hooked over the top edge, and snapped over the bottom edge. I think this is correct, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, also, you should apply some sealant to the holes prior to installing the clips. Putty like stuff, I've seen it called dum dum.  Mark

RICH MUISE

Dum Dum=3M caulking strips. Great for alot of things...like the trim you mentioned, inside the cowl where you need to build it up heavy(apply after por-15 there). Black, never hardens...always pliable

ROKuberski

My car is at the paint shop right now and I should have it back by early next week.  Then I will reinstall the trim on my '57 Fairlane 500.  In the Concours Parts catalog for the'49-'59 Full Size cars, pages 149-150 they show all the special clips.  I think I counted about 90 clips to reinstall all of the trim.  I took my trim to a local shop that supplies the trade and found just about every clip that I will need.  They don't all look like originals, but they will work just fine.  I have a bunch that will bolt on and some that snap on.  A double hand full of clips ran to about $125 and I do have some extras.  Buying all the correct clips will be quite a bit more.  I also have some of the sealant for the clips on the side of the body and roof.  The trim along the fins is not supposed to have sealant.  Although my car had been painted once before, the trim was not removed.  The old clips were all rusty and worthless.  The old sealant was hard as a rock, but it did look like it was keeping water out of the roof and doors.

I do have a copy of an original drawing that shows the different types and location of clips and I can scan and email it if you need it.

Rich

rlibew

Thanks for all the info, I'm a visual guy so need pictures and have ordered the trim and sealant manual so may clear up some of my confusion. My body guy has not worked on a 57 Ford before and None of original  hardware was there and what was there did not hold stainless very well. This is a challenge to say the least, but well worth the effort as the 57 was My first car and my favorite tri five.
As for you southern California guys, I would like a get together, I'm located in Covina California are any of you guys close by.

rlibew

Any diagrams or other info on stainless will help and be appreciated, any and all helps, as I'm new at this. As Rich mentioned plastic clips for the square hole on fender and door, I could not locate at local paint supply and now looking on internet. I ordered all for 57 in Mac's cat. as well as trim and sealant manual, hope to have clarity soon 

Tom S

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2013-03-05 22:22I do have a copy of an original drawing that shows the different types and location of clips and I can scan and email it if you need it.
Can you post those scans here for all to see?
I still need the clips for my Ranchero trim & don't know what to get or where to get them.  I don't have any of the holes in the body for the clips either.
My trim is like this one.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: rlibew on 2013-03-06 11:06
Any diagrams or other info on stainless will help and be appreciated, any and all helps, as I'm new at this. As Rich mentioned plastic clips for the square hole on fender and door, I could not locate at local paint supply and now looking on internet. I ordered all for 57 in Mac's cat. as well as trim and sealant manual, hope to have clarity soon
I'll check early next week when I get home to see if I have a number for those plastic clips. I do remember they were in "WEE-PAKS"..a fastener brand.

ROKuberski

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-03-07 08:53
I'll check early next week when I get home to see if I have a number for those plastic clips. I do remember they were in "WEE-PAKS"..a fastener brand.

I have a series of very clear drawings that came with my car.  Evidently, they were copied from a book called "FORD CAR PARTS."  That what it says at the top of each page.  I've never seen this book.  I have 18 pages and the highest page number listed on my sheets is about 797. So this must be from a huge book.  Some of you may have this book. (I found a link to the book - http://www.forelpublishing.com/demo/demo10041.pdf)

I would be glad to post this information, but I don't know how to do it in a way that will be easy to find and retrieve.

I can easily put this into Publisher and create a .pdf file of the whole thing.  Let me know where and how to post this and I will.

These are the page titles.

Instrument Panel and related parts
fuel system and related parts
Ford 2 barrel carburetor
Carburetor air cleaner
Thermostatic choke control tubes and related parts
Distributor
Ignition wiring 8 cyl
Wiring system
Windshield wiper
windshield washer
Select Aire & Polar Aire conditioner compressor, pulleys & related parts
Select Aire conditioner evaporator and related parts
Fairlane 500 Town Sedan (Body Type 58B) Body trim
Fairlane 500 Townsedan two tone (Body Type 58B) Body trim
Fairlane 500 Club Victoria two tone (Body Types 63A & B) Body trim
Supercharger (Ford & Thunderbird)
Supercharger installation (312 engine) Ford
Supercharger installation (312) Thunderbird

I have the 1957 Ford & Thunderbird wiring diagram manual.

I also have an original 1957 Ford service manual and a copy of this manual. 

The copy is complete, but the pages are now loose from the binding (glued) that held it together.  I would sell this manual for $15 including shipping if anypne is interested.

Most important, next week, I will have my car home again with a fresh red/white paint job. 

Rich

Tom S

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2013-03-07 22:50
I have a series of very clear drawings that came with my car ........  I would be glad to post this information, but I don't know how to do it in a way that will be easy to find and retrieve. ......... Let me know where and how to post this and I will.
If you scan those you could post them here ...
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?board=19.0
Seems like the logical place & the only thing in there now are a lot of service bulletins.
If you don't know how to post pix I could PM you my email addy & you could sent me the pix.
I could post them & give you credit or email the Photobucket codes back to you & you could post them yourself.

I sure would like to see pix of those stainless trim clips & whatever else, other pix, that goes with them.  (Any other of the other things you care to add too.)
Please, please, please!   (where is that begging smilie)  :003:

:ttiwwp: