News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sneak peak...

Started by JPotter57, 2013-03-10 17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Just figured I'd let the cat out of the bag now, concerning the color of my Custom.  Since the car will ultimately be 312 powered again, and since it will be built in the Jr Stocker drag image, and since it will be drag raced, I wasnt really interested in original.  I considered some original colors at first, but just couldnt get excited about them, even white.   In the meantime,  I took my 4 year old, Nick, to the drags for Nostalgia Weekend, and he loved it.  Wheb we got home, I show him the pictures and video of my last 57.   He says "Lets paint the 57 yellow", so.....here it is, at least the cowl and forward jambs.  I still have to finish the doors,  fenders and hood, but seeing this made me want to finish it a little bit quicker than I was working.  Check out the pics.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

F570RD

sprink88

~Chris

RICH MUISE

I like it..yeller's always been one of my favorites.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

James I like it too but that yellow will give every bug in the area fits!  How will you ever keep the love bugs off it?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

wv 57s forever

:003:

looking good

JPotter57

Hadnt thought about that Bill...I guess I'll just have to park it for the couple weeks they're in town, lol.  Wash it immediately after driving it, I guess..Those things are a pain, man....seriously.
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

First time I ran into love bugs was when stationed in Brunswick, GA.  I had no idea what the heck was going on!  And "pain" doesn't even come close to describing them.  I put them into one of those "you haven't been there until" list of things....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

glen b henderson

Looks good James, that Cleveland looks pretty good too.
Freedom is not Free

JPotter57

Thank you Glen...Still want to get my 312 done though...maybe this winter.
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

don't know about those love bugs however had a yellow truck and the hornets would gather on in as if it had been slathered with bacon drippings. Still love yellow.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JPotter57

I have decided that I will never buy another drop of acrylic enamel paint.  Ever.  I used urethane on the car, and bought some enamel to do my interior mouldings and dash.  I have now sanded off once, and tomorrow will be twice the enamel from my dash.  I have been spraying enamel for over 25 years, and never had any trouble with it.  The metallic med gray I got for the dash has separated, crazed, everything besides run that enamel paint can do.  The urethane on my car is the first time I have ever sprayed it, and so far, I love it.  When cured out, it feels like ceramic glaze, it is so slick.  I love the stuff, it lays on like silk.  I promise, no more enamel, ever again.  Yeap, getting ready to order a quart of gray metallic urethane for my interior sheetmetal...  Now I need to pick up some more cartridges for my respirator, probably should consider buying a fresh air system if I spray more than one or two of these, stuff is potent even through my high buck respirator.
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

I have come to the conclusion that every paint job is flawed...you just have to learn how to fix it.  In your case it sounds more like maybe there is something wrong with the paint.  Don't swear off enamel just yet.  If you squint real hard and read labels, urethane IS an enamel.  I keep reading about water born.  If I was to paint another car, I think I will make the change to water.

Frankenstein57

The articles in the mags make the waterborn system sound easy

gasman826

The water based paints are thinner so prep work has to be even better.  Also with the finish layers being thinner there is less material to sand and polish any flaws.  It also requires more coats.