News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sneak peak...

Started by JPotter57, 2013-03-10 17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Sorry about screwing up the quote in my previous note.  Some day I'll get it right.  I just keep on trying.   
     BELIEVE ME I CAN SPRAY AND BUILD CARS BETTER THAN I DO QUOTES.   

JPotter57

I have been using the 3m organic vapor masks, but am thinking about investing in a fresh air system of some kind.  I change these masks out whenever I pray anyway, unless its just lacquer primer, but urethane stuff, I only use them once.  I dont trust them much longer than that.  They arent terribly expensive, but not meant to be used once and discarded.  However, the isocyanates in urethane is pretty deadly stuff, and I dont want to take chances.  That is the main reason I would like to invest in a decent hobbyist fresh air system from like Eastwood or something like that.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ecode70D

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2013-03-18 20:38
I have been using the 3m organic vapor masks, but am thinking about investing in a fresh air system of some kind.

James
    Is that 3M organic vapor mask some sort of a disposable unit or one with the screw in filters that look like a hockey puck?   I have heard about how dangerous those isocyanates are.  Good thing that this will be my last car that I'm going to paint.
   If you are going to be doing more paint jobs, it would be a good idea to invest in a fresh air system.
Jay

Ford Blue blood

The key to keeping the 3M mask good is to bag it up after it has dried out.  They are good for a year if not left out.  My supplier also has one time use mask for about $19, that is less then the replacement filters for the 3m mask.  I will get the part number and manufacturer and post it when I get more paint for the Edsel.

James a poopy suit and mask should give you all the protection you need from a hobbiest stand point.  Even if you paint one a year you will still not collect enough "stuff" to do any harm.  Just have to make sure you use it, even when priming stuff outdoors....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

I use a 3M 6900 full face mask with 6001 cartridges and hooded Tyvek suits.  The full face is a little harder to see but keeps stuff out of my eyes and glasses.  Fumes and mist ruin my glasses everytime!  Tyvek may be overkill but suites are cheap, breathable, lint free, cheaper than clothes, and I use the hooded ones to help seal up the mask.  I also use PPG non-isocyanates paints.  X2 FBB on bagging the mask to prolong the life of filters.

Since everyone is putting in their two cents about paint, I have used some of PPG's Shopline products (PPG's second line of painting products).  I use Shopline Wax Removed, reducer for cleanup, primers and topcoats for small parts, interior, frame and running gear.  When it comes to the shiny side, I go with PPG's first line products all the way.  After spending thousands of hours and thousands of dollars in media blasting, hand cleaning, replacement metal, metal working, blocking, filler and blocking, build primer and blocking, sealer and blocking, base coat and blocking, clear coat and blocking, I'm not interested in saving fifty bucks a gallon on three or four gallons of paint.  I'm not that good nor lucky.  I want to know where my materials come from and confirm the date of manufacture codes on the can.  I want a personal relationship with my supplier.  If a failure happens that is product related, I want to know where I can get my hands on my supplier.  More than once, the relationship with my supplier has saved me thousands. 

JPotter57

Thats cool Gasman...however, I'm not building a showcar, just a fun driver.   I dont really have the time or money for that, and really count myself fortunate to have a wife that understands or at least tolerates my expensive hobby.  With 4 boys in boyscouts and robotics, plus a pair of teenagers beginning to drive, my budget is nearly tapped,  lol.  Hence, this being the 6th year I have owned the Custom, and its just now beginning to get paint....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

glen b henderson

I'M with you James, you can buy a lot of go fast stuff for what one of those pretty paint jobs cost, that is why I painted the Falcon with $15 a qt Tractor Supply paint. Different strokes for different folks. I admire the folks that spend thousands on a paint job but I don't want to be afraid of a scratch or bird s==ting on my paint job. The 57 will most likely get a few coats of Hot Rod Black.
Freedom is not Free

Ecode70D

"I use a 3M 6900 full face mask with 6001 cartridges and hooded Tyvek suits.  The full face is a little harder to see but keeps stuff out of my eyes and glasses.  Fumes and mist ruin my glasses everytime!  Tyvek may be overkill but suites are cheap, breathable, lint free, cheaper than clothes, and I use the hooded ones to help seal up the mask.  I also use PPG non-isocyanates paints.  X2 FBB on bagging the mask to prolong the life of filters.

, metal working, blocking, filler and blocking, build primer and blocking, sealer and blocking, base coat and blocking, clear coat and blocking."

Gary
    Thanks for the information on the masks and the cartridge number.   
    Somehow I get the impression that you are not that crazy about block sanding.  I have been known to say once in a while.. "You don't know how I fell unless  you have walked in my shoes"
Well obviously you've been there and done that.
    Did you ever work real hard block sanding a panel to get it absolutely right, before going in for lunch, and when you come back you find a spot that you missed? 
Jay