News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Location and Style of exterior mirrors

Started by ROKuberski, 2013-03-11 21:47

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

I am having my car painted now and it will be home by mid week.  While having this done, I had the mirrors removed and the mounting holes patched.  The mirrors were set so that the wind wings would not open.  I've seen mirrors on the doors and fenders and I've seen more different styles of mirrors than you can shake a stick at.

So, what is the proper location for the mirrors?  What style is period appropriate?

Thanks,

Rich

6cyl57

on my 300 Custom it was out on the fender. Someone moved them up on the doors.
They had put some crappy part store mirrors on it. So I took them off and put an old
round mirror I had from something else. I put it on the fender, it just doesn't look right
to me out there. So I put it back on the door. My wing window opens but you really cant
see much out of the mirror. i think my next one will be the round ones that hang off the top
of the door.

ROKuberski

Out on the fenders seems to me to be more for style than function.  I put "peep" mirrors on my '37 Chevy, but I think that was common for cars of that time.  However, I was able to get a flat mirror for the driver's side and the wide angle for the passenger's side.  They work pretty good.  I don't think I've seen peep mirrors on '50's cars before. 

Rich

Mark

My car has them on the front fenders, and I think they are original. They might look funny out there but would not work on the door as 6cyl said. My 64 galaxie never had a outside mirror, I bought the correct mirror for it over a year ago but just can not bring myself to drill the holes in the door.

sprink88

I have one on the drivers side fender.  But I do plan on moving it once I get my dummy spots.  Maybe the kind with the mirrors?  You can't see well out of a 3" round on the fender anyway.

It was my understanding that mirrors and antennas were left up to the dealer to install. So that may be why they are differant.  Someone correct me if I am wrong
~Chris

hiball3985

Looking at pictures from two of my 57 custom 300's from back in the sixties one had a round mirror attached to the door front post ( must have been the cheap option ) and the other has a square one on the fender...
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

I used the little round peep mirror just on the left side.  I liked it and will put a new on when I assemble.  It was handy, easy to adjust and I did not have to drill any holes.  With only one outside mirror, it is a little spooky making lane changes when I can't see over the wifes luggage in the back seat.

I'm not in love with this picture.  It's just the only one I have that shows the mirror.

ragtop

all the cars i have had around 20 had a mirror on the drivers fender a few fairlane-500s had both fenders and was one of the first things I took off but I do custom cars

RICH MUISE

Ragtop...great looking ride...thanks for posting that. Feel free to post some more..hint,hint.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

robhaerr

My mirror is out on the front fender. I use it quite alot.

I think it is from a '57 Continental, not sure...previous owner installed it. He also installed the 350 Chevy I yanked out...but I like the mirror.

Hmmm...looks like the same mirror that Mark posted above!

Rob

ROKuberski

After having all the holes repaired where the old mirrors were, I am beginning to think that the peep mirror may be what I end up getting.  I do like not drilling into the newly repaired fenders.

As to dealers drilling for antenna's, I would believe it.  The hole in my fender looks like a hack job.  However the antenna does cover it up well.  I got a new antenna from Concours parts and it is beautiful and a dead match for the old one.  I can't bring myself to bolt old crap on my "new" car.

I visited it today at the paint shop.  They were colorsanding and getting ready to polish it out starting tomorrow.  What a JOB.  I am now realizing that I have a pretty good deal for this project.  They have put in a lot of hours on this minor repair/repaint project.

Rich

Zapato

Ragtop, did you keep any of those mirrors? would be interested if you did.

I have a really nice mirror that was given to me years ago with a bunch of 51 Ford parts, like new condition would look great on the ca runfortunately it has a ''bowtie'' stamped into the back.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

ragtop

did not see the need to keep them over the years I had limeted space to store stuff

RICH MUISE

Wow..you really DO like the ragtops! Great looking colection..of course I'm assuming the others are yours also.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ragtop

yes all my ragtops that I have at this time one just left for a new home in pennsylvania the one I sold was a 2x4 312 auto 1957