News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

From fast to ?????

Started by Piperj3, 2013-04-04 20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Piperj3

Hi, Newbie here. I just bought a 57 fairlane 500 with the 312 engine in great condition and all original. As a matter of fact it's not even here yet. It's coming from Cal. I'd like to keep everything original but would like to know if the factory ever offerd something to give the engine a little more power but still be original. Yes i'm looking for more power and the cars not even here yet. It's kind of funny, I just sold my 1966 Shelby Cobra and now going to a 4dr classic with automatic. I must be getting old !!!  :002:

Thanks guys, I really like your site.
Bob
Wis

57AGIN

Piperj3:

Welcome aboard.  I'm no expert on the Y-block, but from the factory a Paxton/McCullough supercharger could be ordered, also dual quads were available, etc.  They won't turn your 57 into a Shelby Cobra, but they were very respectable combinations back some 50 years ago.  There is also a Y-block web site where all they talk about is the Ford Y-blocks, but there are a lot of good Y-block gurus on this site, too. 

Bob
57 AGIN

lowrider

If its an original 57 312 it already has the best Yblock parts on it. 'G' heads, 1.5 ratio rocker arms, the best flowing exhaust manifolds & the 'B' 4V intake manifold. After 57 the Yblock was detuned with the introduction of the FE engine line. Like 57AGIN mentioned superchargers were available but good luck on finding one now & you'll need DEEP pockets if you do find one. The factory dual quad manifolds are out there and are affordable. Just be sure you get the valley pan for a dual quad manifold or modify yours for the correct fit of the new manifold. Running the wrong valley pan will crack the factory dual quad manifold. Cracked ears on the front of the manifold would be something to look for if you go that route. I suggest you join Yblocksforever.com for more information. A lot of those guys are on here too.

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the site, Piper. Shoot us some pictures when your '57 arrives!
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wildhog

piper3j What part of Wisconsin? We have a few members in the So. Wis. No. Ill. area.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

sprink88

Welcome Piper! And if you are west Wisconsin. You can always hit the shows in Minnesota!
~Chris

Piperj3

Hi Guy's, We live in the north east part of the state about 75 miles north of Greenbay and 26 miles west of Crivitz. Were right in the Nicolet National forest. I'm watching a bear right now on my deck. There starting to come out now. There go's the bird feeder as I write this. Bad bear !! The german shepherds just sit by the patio doors and watch them.

Bob