News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gauge wiring

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2013-05-06 19:41

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

Hey guys,
   I'm trying to finish up the car for Mothers day, but ran into a snag. I am set to tie in my gauges, I have the power off the resistor to each gauge, do the senders just go on the other side? do I need a ground, or is it grounded through the dash itself? And finally, I have five indicator lights, two of the sockets have a ground attached to them, the other three don't, are they the indicator lights for the Generator, and oil idiot lights? Thanks for your help!
Tim :unitedstates:

PS. Does anyone have a speedometer they can part with? Mine lasted all winter on the work bench, and two mornings ago I went out to find that my Bronco grill had come off the wall and broke the needle right off! Go figure!
Thanks
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

CableguyJJS3

Yes just connect the sender wires to the other pin of the guage. The yellow will be fuel, red/white is temp. And yes the sockets with 2 wires are the idiot light sockets yellow/black is generator, white/red is oil pressure. Can't help on the speedo though. Good luck.
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

RICH MUISE

How much of the speedo are you looking for?..just the needle and face, or the whole thing. I've got one your welcome to, but it wasn't working when I last drove the car 10 years ago. I don't know what the issue was with it..may have been just a bad cable. I'll look at it tomorrow. I do not have the small clips that hold the plexies in place...sent them to Bob a while back.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks,
   Cable guy, that was what I was thinking, but it's always better to ask, then regret it later! Rich, yes, all I need is the speedometer part. It looks like the face and needle assembly are welded, so I guess that it is one piece, to check if the needle works just spin where the cable would go in, if you can get any movement out of the needle, it should be good. I don't care if the odometer works, that won't get me a ticket! LOL :003:
Thanks,

RICH MUISE

Tim...I'll check it out when I get a minute...trying to get a section of the house painted so it can dry a little before the rain comes.
Rich

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks Rich,
   Rain coming your way too? We are supposed to get about four days straight! We need it, we are about 3" below normal here.
Thanks

RICH MUISE

Well, I almost gave up on it, thinking it was no good, but then realized it had to be spun counterclockwise. I put a square drive bit in my variable speed drill motor...lol, my drill easily does 100 mph!!
I'll get it packaged up and sent off to ya. I'll need your address again..don't think I kept it.
P.S. you'll probably want to pick up some florescent red paint to redo the needle..it's faded to light pink.
Rain..we're about 3 years behind here..got not quite 1/10 of an inch last night.

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks Rich!
    I will use a GPS for the Mothers Day trip to Church. We are going to pick my Mom up and bring her to her favorite Ice cream joint after dinner. It will be her first ride in Dad's car since my little brothers funeral. I think she will love riding in it again, with out a stop at the cemetery. Thanks again for all your help! My Dad would be proud of you guys here on this site, for helping me out of the trouble I get myself into! Lol!
Thanks again,

Timothy Patch
115 Coffee house Rd
Killington, Vermont

RICH MUISE

Ha..you don't need a gps....just watch your mom's knuckles...when they start turning white, slow down.

RICH MUISE

Tim...Speedometer got to the post office yesterday morning. I would think Wednesday or Thurs. you should have it.

57 Ford Kustom

Rich, thanks so much! Tim

sprink88

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-05-07 19:27
Ha..you don't need a gps....just watch your mom's knuckles...when they start turning white, slow down.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love it!
~Chris