News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 seat belt brackets ?

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-05-25 16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

These are pictures of the seat belt brackets that came out of a 57 Ford 2 dr. wagon that I  recently purchased.  I have never seen anything like these before on  a 57 Ford
    I would  like to use them on my 57 custom , but before I start drilling holes in my nice floor and making holes in my new back rug, I would like to know more.
    They certainly  look period since there is no under body coating between the under floor braces and the bare floor.  The under floor braces do have what looks like original coating on the outside surfaces
     The only other seat belts I ever saw in a 57 Ford were the ones that were in the almost new 57 Ford Custom Mass State Police car that we bought in 1958.   They were functional, but very ugly.  Those cars had a piece of square tubing  like  a piece of sign post on the floor behind the front seat fastened down with cables. 
     Sorry about the crummy pictures 
     Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.
Jay   

Ecode70D

More seat belt bracket pictures

Ecode70D

Pictures Try Again
  Those pictures were real bad. Hope that these are better. 

Ecode70D

More pics

RICH MUISE

I like the look...definetly oem looking even if they are not. I don't even know if seat belts were an option in '57.
Lou would know.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Those are the original seat belt brackets. I have a set in my car. The passenger side is pretty easy to get and will costs about $50.00 on Ebay. The Drivers side costs about $350.00 if you can find them. That's what I've got in my 57. Jim  PS  They come with a diagram as to the distances and placement on the floorboard if you can find them still in the original OEM box. Measure the old holes to find placement if you can't find a diagram.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ecode70D

Jim
   That's good news.  I kinda had the feeling that they were the real deal because of the way they fit both  the top and bottom  contour of the floor.  I also figured that they are at least period for that car.  Measuring the placement of the holes will be easy enough to do.
   When they are all cleaned up and refinished, they will go nicely with my car.   I don't like making changes unless it is something I can put back to "as delivered /ordered" in one day.   

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-05-25 18:11
I like the look...definetly oem looking even if they are not. I don't even know if seat belts were an option in '57.
Lou would know.
Rich
I think Ford first offered seat belts as an option in 1955. My 55 Crown Vic had them.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Rich and Highball
   It seems that not many  people bothered to order them for their cars in those days.  Come to think about it I do recall that I  had a 58 fairlane 2dr hardtop back in the day with seat belts in it.  I almost think that the brackets looked like the ones that I just found.   That was over 50 years ago. Things are starting  to get a little fuzzy in my mind.
Jay.

Zapato

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-05-25 21:14
   . Things are starting  to get a little fuzzy in my mind.
Jay.

common ailment, have it myself............

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-05-25 20:23
  I don't like making changes unless it is something I can put back to "as delivered /ordered" in one day.

E-Code,
    Run as far from that statement as you can. How do you think I know that finding drivers side seat belt brackets may cost you $350.00. Having a 57 restored using OEM parts has cost me a fortune with my car. LOL Jim

PS. After making the above statement, let me assure you I have not built my car using my words of wisdom. I have enjoyed every dime I've thrown at that car and continue to do so. After lying in the emergency room with a heart attack a few weeks ago, I can assure you the cost of building that 57 didn't enter my mind. I enjoy my 57 to the fullest. It now can break a 14sec quarter mile and still do good at car shows and travel with a reasonable expense for gas. It's all about what can make you and your family happy, not saving money. (no lol at the end of this statement )
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Jeff Norwell

I have them in my car...factory....only the fronts..... no rears.....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Jim....I know what you mean about OEM parts and costing a fortune.  I keep an envelope with receipts on what was spent on my custom and it's frightening.  I never did tally up the whole thing.

Jeff....  You know, now that you mention it,  that's right they did  only put them in the front with no rears.   Maybe they thought  that the back part of the front seat would take care of everyone in the back seat.  Funny how they did stuff like that back in the 50s.

Under the right conditions those 58 Ford seat belts did work!   The kid that bought it before me decided to take it through the 1/4 mile on the local drag strip road.  I told him "let's put these things on", so we did.  We were doing about 90 when the car parked on the side of the road decided to take a u turn in front of us.  The 58 struck the other guy's car at the passenger door.  The other guy had to be taken away.
    I vividly remember that it happened in like slow motion.  When we hit the other car the back right corner of the hood came through the windshield and stopped in front of my face.  I didn't get a scratch (God was with me).  The kid who owned the 58 got a bloody nose when he tapped the steering wheel. 
   I fixed that car for my friend and ended up buying it from years later for $200.

Rich....   That drag strip road was Granite Ave in Quincy  Ma.  Does that ring a bell with you?

Jeff Norwell

Dang..... I remember sleeping on Package trays as a kid with my folks!........ ha ha ha

Jeff Norwell

Under the right conditions those 58 Ford seat belts did work!   The kid that bought it before me decided to take it through the 1/4 mile on the local drag strip road.  I told him "let's put these things on", so we did.  We were doing about 90 when the car parked on the side of the road decided to take a u turn in front of us.  The 58 struck the other guy's car at the passenger door.  The other guy had to be taken away.
    I vividly remember that it happened in like slow motion.  When we hit the other car the back right corner of the hood came through the windshield and stopped in front of my face.  I didn't get a scratch (God was with me).  The kid who owned the 58 got a bloody nose when he tapped the steering wheel. 
   I fixed that car for my friend and ended up buying it from years later for $200.

Wow!!!!!!!!!