News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vent window adjustment?

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2013-05-28 07:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Jim... a small bushing would be the trick!

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2013-05-28 20:26
Jim... a small bushing would be the trick!
I'll look at it when I get that far, I just hate anything that has to do with the body, especially doors  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I'm just going from memory, but I don't remember a bushing. I'll check the assembly manuals to see what I can find. If there is no wiggle or slop, just loose, then we're probably just talking a thousands or two, which is why I suggested a coating rather than a bushing or layer of thin tape like aluminum.
edit:.....as 57Chero posted, there is a bushing.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Quote from: wighty on 2013-05-28 19:14
A question for Rich Muise. The pictures of your rebuilt Wind Wings are great. Did you rebuild them yourself doing the disassembly, chrome plate, stainless polish, glass and reassembly? I am a little nervouse about doing this myself. The assemblies are out of the car and it is getting close to new glass time for the whole car (Custom 300 2 dr). Any advise will be appreciated.
Dennis
I did everything you mentioned, except the Custom models (at least mine and most others) are all stainless, so there is no chrome except the wing window handle/button assembly which is available repoped. I did a lengthy post on it when I first joined the forum a few years ago. I'll do some brousing to see if I can find it. Stay tuned!
A side note on this....Some of the Fairlane models have chromed frames..I believe mostly the retracs and converts. If your not seeing any pitting or peeling or rust, then yours are probably stainless. A magnet won't tell you anything, because all stainless parts I've found on my car are of a magnetic series alloy.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=1405.msg7647#msg7647
That link will put you in the middle of that thread for some reason...when you open it, just scroll to the beginning.As explained in my thread, I used the 'sticks' of window channel, bending and attaching the old clips. 57Chero used, and highly recommended, the preformed channel kits from Concourse. That would be the easiest way to go. Any questions, or stuff in my post not explained clearly...just ask away and I'll try to remember.
Rich

57chero

I had the same problem when I was building my ranchero, the post on the top of the wing window has a plastic bushing that pushes on to the post it fits into a recess and the little clamp with the two Phillips screws holds it in place. The bushings were half gone in mine so the wings were way to floppy , I had some extra wings with good bushings problem solved. You'll need to take your garnish moulding off to get access .

RICH MUISE

gotta log off and go for cover...major thunderstorm on outskirts of Amarillo capable of spawning tornadoes and baseball size hail. Sheeeeet!

RICH MUISE

Well that was scary with Oklahoma still fresh on our minds. The three of us spent a little while huddled in a closet with our dogs. Fortunatly my wife's Ipad never lost satelite as the tv did, so we were able to follow the storm's doppler, from the closet, as it crossed directly over Amarillo. At one point just as it was on the outskirts, they were reporting two large circular patterns forming.."we have tornados". fortunatly they never completed forming. just got about an hours worth of moderatly heavy hail..dime to quarter size, and winds.
Back to the topic....I went thru the trim and sealant manual and there is not a breakdown of the wing window assemblies in the manual. I was hoping to find a pn for the bushing. I'll check othe manuals tommorrow.

hiball3985

Thanks Chero, a plastic bushing shouldn't be to hard to make.

Rich, glad you are safe and didn't get hit with anything in the way of a tornado..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

suede57ford

The top of the vent wndow fram has a small shaft that that sticks up.  That is the shaft the bushing and two adjustment screws squeezes.  The problem with most vent windows is the shaft that stick up breaks in two very easily,then the vent window shaft is no longer connected to the top part of the shaft that the bushing squeezes on, and the vent window window swings freely.

I have had to drill out the old broken shaft, and insert a new hand made shaft and tack it together to repair.

Occassinally, on ebay you see NOS replacement shafts to fix the problem also.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429