News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

storm damage

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-05-29 07:31

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I did a post last night talking about a near miss we had with a storm capable of producing tornados. The doppler was indicating strong circular wind formations just as it was passing over Amarillo, but fortunatly didn't develop fully into tornados.Well, it's daylight and I just went outside to see if there was any storm damage. I actually wasn't expecting to see any, as I didn't think the hail got big enough...wrong!
my Grand Cherokee is a mass of dents, as is the low miles Mark viii I had just bought, and my neices Ranger. My wife left for work before sunrise and hasn't seen her '12 Camry in daylight...I suspect it'll be totalled.
The fiber composite roof over the garage where my '57 is has hundreds of holes in it. Garage windows smashed out water and debris all over the car, toolboxes got soaked. I got out of the garage quick when I realized I was standing in water and lots of power cords around. I don't think the '57 got damaged badly, but I need to go back in for another look after I get dressed.
I'm gonna have a hell of a mess to clean up..I guess the house rebuilding is gonna be on hold while I reroof.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

Rich - sorry to hear of your damage.  If there is anyway to help please let me know.  While we have never met face to face, I feel we are friends and I know you have a lot of friends on this forum.  I am glad your family is OK. 

JimNolan

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get everything squared up as soon as possible. Good Luck
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

Rich that is really not good news!  So sorry to hear it.  Blessing is both you and your family are OK, rest of that stuff can be fixed...
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

LAUDY57

Good Luck Rich!
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

RICH MUISE

Thanks guys...appreciate the concern. Other than the DD cars, not too much damage other than the old roof on the house that was slated for replacement next year, and my shed/car shelter. The area where my car is was added on to a large shed (20x38) that I had roofed just 3 or 4 years ago, and those shingles got beat to heck. The area where my car is started out as a covered carport affair that I later enclosed. I had roofed that with a asphalt fiberglass reinforced corrugated sheets figuring that would be better in the Texas sun than metal. The "temporary structure" wasn't built strong enough to support weight of  the correct sheathing/shingle method.
The bad news is the golfball size hail we got punched about 300 holes in that roof, but apparently the hail busted up on impact so...the good news... no damage other that water and small debris inside. We had a posibility of baseball size hail, thank god that didn't happen. My wife just called from work as she finally went out in daylight to see if there was damage....almost had to be as bad as my Jeep got beat up...her Camry is wasted from the gille all the was back...hood, roof, fenders,rear quarters,etc.
I got a 20' x 100' of 6 mil plastic to try and cover the roof, but I may be shoveling against the tide with even the normal wind conditions we have in this area. I think I'll just clean and dry the car off, get my tool boxes drained and dried, and cover everything with plastic inside. It may be a week before the insurance adjusters can get here with all the claims they've got going in different areas.

hiball3985

WOW! that's bad news. I'm sorry you had so much damage to deal with. I guess a small silver lining in the cloud is it wasn't a tornado that hit..
Good luck Rich.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

I hear this all the time Rich from Bob in Wellington.......very sorry.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Thanks guys. Uninsured damage was minimal....with no tornado and the hail not any bigger than it was I feel very fortunate.
Jeff...speaking of Bob...I just got to wondering...with all the trips I've made thru salvage yards in areas notorious for weather, I don't recall ever noticing hail damage on any of the parts cars...is that odd or what? I had several thousands of dollars in hail damage on my Jeep 5 or 6 years ago. Never had them fixed. Within a year or so they all disappeared. May be same thing going on in junk yards.
I'm getting my garage dried out slowly but surely...it needed a good cleaning anyways. Temps in the 90's today, and with all that moisture in there, it's like being in a sauna. I am so relieved there is NO damage to my '57. That really would have sucked big time. The pictures I'll post later tonight will show how close I was to having big time damage. There are so many holes in the roof, it looks like a disco hall in there...took some neat pictures of the reflections in the '57's paint.

RICH MUISE

Shortly after I had moved to Amarillo, they had a hail storm come thru with baseball size hail. One of the hospitals lost every window on 2 sides of their 6 story tower. I drove to the Lincoln/Mercury dealer just out of curiosity, and it looked like a war zone. You could literally have put a baseball inside the dents. I counted 11 places on one vans windshield alone. It was sickning to see all those new Lincolns pretty much destroyed. There was actually a salesman on duty who asked if I needed any help, to which I replied I was just curious. He said come back in a week or so after the insurance adjusters were done..."they'd probably be taking 3 or 4 thousand of the retail price." I just replied..3 or 4 thousand?..I would think starting at 1/2 price would get you near a bargaining price. I don't know what ended up happening, but for a while they were trying to sell 45-50K cars without a straight panel on them for "thousands off"

sprink88

Wow. glad to hear no body got knocked out from that!
~Chris

JPotter57

Hate to hear about the damage Rich..hope you can get everything secured soon.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ecode70D

[quote author=RICH MUISE
"I am so relieved there is NO damage to my '57. That really would have sucked big time. The pictures I'll post later tonight will show how close I was to having big time damage. There are so many holes in the roof, it looks like a disco hall in there...took some neat pictures of the reflections in the '57's paint. [/quote]

Wow Rich!!  This is awful.  I'm thankful that you and your family are safe, and that it was not a full blown tornado.  I'm also happy that your 57 did not get damaged.  I hope that the insurance will come through for you.  You have a lot of friends on this forum that are wishing the very best for you. I'm far away over here in Mass., but you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Maybe more of us should give thought to putting insurance on our old cars even if they are still under construction/restoration.  Jay

Frankenstein57

Sorry to hear of the distruction, glad everyone is ok, Good to hear you have insurance, the weather has been nuts all over the country, Mark

Zapato

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2013-05-29 21:30
Sorry to hear of the distruction, glad everyone is ok, Good to hear you have insurance, the weather has been nuts all over the country, Mark

Ditto, glad you're ok and to think we've been bitching around about unending heavy rain and lower than normal temps. Don't understand how you in the midwest deal with all that crazy weather.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72