News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vent seals. Putting doors back together.

Started by GaryI72, 2013-06-21 13:37

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryI72

Long story long....25 years ago my Dad and I decided to rebuild his 64B.  We went clear down to the frame.  Stripped the doors down as far as possible,  (including all seals), and then ran short of time and money.  Last year decided it was time to finish what we started.  Actually, technology, (internet) and good paying job caught up with me.  The doors are back from the painter and I am starting from scratch. I have no door to use as a reference since we tore them both down.  I can barely remember what I did yesterday, let alone 25 years ago.  I think I have everything I need to put back together.
I have done a search and found the post on rebuilding the vent seals.  I have the 57 Body, Trim & Sealant manual.  Kinda fuzzy when it comes to the doors. Any additional info would help.
Couple of questions:
1. Dow Corning 765...is this the correct sealant #, I cannot find it.
2. Stainless, best stuff to use to get this better than new.
3. Is Carpenter the best place to get the seals I need.
Thanks for your time.....sorry for the long windedness.

GaryI72

Did another search. Found the post on Door Assembly. Answered the questions I had.  Thanks.

RICH MUISE

Answered your questions!!! cool, but I'll get a little long winded here anyways.
It sounds like you found the old post I had done, as I had talked about the dow corning product. I had never been able to find it again. Any glass shop that does commercial windows (glass into metal frames) should be able to supply you with a tube of a butle or rubber compund that sets up likea rubbery seal. Doesn't have to be an automotive product (the Dow wasn't).
If you have a Harbor freight near you, pick up their stainless buffing kit. The compounds worked great for me. I use their buffing motor with 8" wheels, but picked up 2" wide wheels from a swap meet vendor. They are much safer to use than the narrow wheels suppied with the buffer. Use the dark compond on the hard sewn wheel, and the green compund on the loose wheel. I use the mandrel mounted buffs from the hf kit in a drill press for a final buff with a blue stainless polish from autozone, o'reilly's, etc. Buffing with an buffer motor is decievingly dangerous...be carefull!!
I got all my seals from direct from carpenter. Most of the distributors are going to be selling theirs anyways.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

GaryI72

Thanks for the info.  I'll give Harbor Freight a look.  I couldn't imagine a car built today with this much stainless.

RICH MUISE

pics are always worth a few thousand of my words
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe