News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old car lot

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-07-20 23:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I just came across this picture of an old car lot and wanted to share it with you.  This is what they were asking for used 57 Fords back in the good old days.   Check out the X brand one for $35.00.   
    I do remember those wonderful days.  Life was so simple then.

57 Ford Kustom

Great picture! Thanks for sharing. Tim
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

Jay...great picture...and yes I remember. My first used-car-lot car was from a lot similar to that one in Waltham, 1963. I saw a 58 Fairlane 2 dr htp w the 352 interceptor. They were asking 395. My next door neighbor worked at Eastern Auto in Waltham (still there?) and knew everybody in town..he called the guy for me and got 25 bucks taken off the price for me...LOL, lot of money back then. I remember putting 3 bucks worth of hi-test in it and drove it home to Acton. I abused the hell out of that car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom link Great picture! Thanks for sharing. Tim/quote]

Tim.....
   What is the status on your engine?  Will you be back together and running  while we still have the good weather?

Ecode70D

Rich
     Those 58 Fairlane 2dr. hardtops with the new FE engine sure did get up and go when they first came out.   I too remember abusing one of them in the day.  What you paid at that time was just about the going price.  But you got a whole lot of car for the money!!!! 
      For three bucks, you probably got about 10 gallons of gas.  That was more than enough to get you from Waltham to Acton.
       After all of that expense, did you have enough money to stop and get a hamburger on the way  home?  I know that Richards drive in would have been out of the way on that trip. 
       In those days we were lost likely in the same drive ins at the same time and probably even went out on Memorial Drive and drag raced each other.     

57 Ford Kustom

Jay, I still have to pull it out of the car, but I have it all stripped and ready. I will hope to have it out and on the stand Saturday. Then disassemble it and get it honed. I do hope to have it running agian by September. Thanks for asking, Tim

alvin stadel

I have a framed bill of sale of a 57 2DHT hanging in my show room. I bought the car for $75.00 and drove it home, This was in 1964, my dad was kind of pissed, he said what the hell does a 16yr old kid need with 3 57 fords.

Ecode70D

[quote author=alvin stadel  I have a framed bill of sale of a 57 2DHT hanging in my show room. I bought the car for $75.00 and drove it home, This was in 1964, my dad was kind of pissed, he said what the hell does a 16yr old kid need with 3 57 fords. [/quote]

Alvin it's obvious that you liked 57 Fords for a long time.  With respect to  your dad, sometimes they just didn't understand.  Is the one in your avatar what you have today?  My old eyes can't make it out.  Is it a convertible? 
Jay

Ecode70D

[quote author=57 Ford Kustom Jay, I still have to pull it out of the car, but I have it all stripped and ready. I will hope to have it out and on the stand Saturday. Then disassemble it and get it honed. I do hope to have it running agian by September. Thanks for asking, Tim
[/quote]

Tim 
    It's a bummer that you are going to miss so much of the summer season  with your car.  Are you pulling the engine only and leaving the transmission in place?  Hope you have it back in by early September so that you have a few weeks of good driving weather.  Jay

Jeff Norwell

I was born 10 years too late.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

strick

In 1966, I bought my first '57 Custom 2dr from our Ford Dealer in Centerville, Iowa for $325. It was a one owner with 90,000 miles. I was 15 back then, and yep, it is the inspiration for the one we have today! Great story!

alvin stadel

Jay, the picture you are asking about is a fairlane 500 2dht. and it is a D code, A friend of mine bought a 57 in Calif, and didn't want the old 312 so I got a great deal on it. The car it came out of showed 40,000, and appears to be right, While it was out I pulled the pan all bearings were good and of right tolerence , so stuck in the hard top and have fun with it. By know means a power house but just enough to give me a 19 yr old flash back

Ecode70D

Alvin
   It's a good thing that your friend didn't want that old '312'' and that you were in the right place at the right time.  You are going to have a lot of fun with it.
   I just took my 312 for the first test drive about 2 weeks ago after buying the car 14+ years ago and in need of lots of work.  Jay

Ecode70D

Quote from: Jeff Norwell I was born 10 years too late./quote]

Yep Jeff  you'r just a young fella. 

57 Ford Kustom

Jay, I was thinking of pulling them both at the same time. I have some leaks on the transmission, I think it would be easier to replace them with it out. Tim