News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Search Engines

Started by whisper38, 2013-07-27 21:14

Previous topic - Next topic

whisper38

Search Engines...You ask for a hamburger,they say they have it, get there,send us your name etc. What is so hard to understand,I ask for 1957 ranchero electric wiper motor,so i can switch from vacumn to electric,I get corn beef.Went to EB#4.com cheapest i saw there was $175.00 plus 20.00 for shipping.The guy had so many bad rating didn't want to take a chance,other places $250.00 for the kit plus shipping. What ever happen to honset hard working straight up people. :deadhorse:

hiball3985

I have a 57 Chevy on mine, it's a straight bolt on, you may find one cheaper then the kits..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

whisper38

that interesting,I have my wrecked 1986 ford ranger out back,I'll look at the wiper motor on it.

RICH MUISE

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the oem vacumn motors, the wiper conversions for '57 Fords, and the oem '57 Chev, have the back and forth motors required by a stock pulley and cable setup. The late model motors do the complete 360, and won't work as a bolt on replacement.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Marine wiper motors sweep back and forth not 360 degrees. I'm using one, two speed, self park, adjustable sweep angle. I did have to make my own bracket. If your handy doing a little metal fab it's an easy project.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

sprink88

That sounds nice Rmk. Have a pic of the set up?
~Chris

Zapato

Problem with just swapping in a marine motor or tri-five one is that you still end up with those worrisome cable drives. Best solution IMHO requires a lot more work and part sourcing and uses 58-61 Ford parts. This has been discussed before. Rich also did an excellent writeup on his conversion that also did away with the cables.

Again, IMHO, any swap that keeps the cables is just a band aid fix.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

I'm not a fan of that cable system either but I have never had one fail yet, knock on wood. I guess how much you want to spend and work to be done on a conversion is all relevant to where you live and how much it rains and how often do you drive in it.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

The unfortunate part about either the ridiculous setup I went to, or the '58 setup, is that they both need to be done when a car is in a disassembled mode where cutting into the inside side of the cowl behind the dash and doing some fab/welding is not a problem. I agree with highball....there have been few problems with the pulley and cable.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

[quote author=hiball3985 link= I'm not a fan of that cable system either but I have never had one fail yet, knock on wood. I guess how much you want to spend and work to be done on a conversion is all relevant to where you live and how much it rains and how often do you drive in it.  [/quote]

All I can say is AMEN to what you just stated...   I took mine all apart, checked everything , replaced a couple frayed cables and put it back together.  I don't intend to deliberately drive in the rain and will keep a bottle of Rain ex in the trunk.  If I have a problem, I'll take it back home and replace the defective part.   The only major change I'll make is to run the vacuum hose into a hidden chamber/can to give me some volume when accelerating.   (That was an old 50s trick that we used to do).     

gasman826

Cable wipers may be an excellent example of 'if it ain't broke...don't fix it'.  Cables worked just fine.  Removing for maintenance is a major commitment.  I tore mine all apart just to inspect and lube.  They worked for several years with the econo' electric swap with the reduced sweep.  If doing it again, I would look into the '57 GM swap.  My next wiper upgrade is an inside motor aftermarket system from Specialty Power Windows.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-07-28 15:12
The unfortunate part about either the ridiculous setup I went to, or the '58 setup, is that they both need to be done when a car is in a disassembled mode where cutting into the inside side of the cowl behind the dash and doing some fab/welding is not a problem. I agree with highball....there have been few problems with the pulley and cable.
Your system came out nicely. Unfortunately many of us aren't that talented. Hell, we can't even get the right gas pedal on  :005: :003:
But we are good at hijacking a thread, sorry..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-07-28 15:40
I don't intend to deliberately drive in the rain and will keep a bottle of Rain ex in the trunk.   
Jay, why do you keep it in the trunk, is there a problem with RainX being on the window all the time that I don't know about?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
    I would put it on the glass when or if I need it.  If if is on the glass anyways , that's OK too, and it will work when the rain starts.
    The draw back is....   If it is it has stuff in it that is a headache to get off if it gets onto a car this is going to be painted.  That's when it creates fish eyes in the paint.  I have experienced this on one of the cars that I was painting years ago.
      Once the car has the finish paint on it then there is no problem..
Jay

hiball3985

Thanks Jay, I see why it would cause a problem on a unpainted car.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang