News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wagon rear leaf springs/front coils

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2013-08-02 11:48

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I guess thats the way to go if you just want stock springs. The advantage of having them made is you can them beefed up if needed. As far as shocks go and this is just my opinion, Monroes are cheap pieces of crap, bottom of the barrel. Unfortunately about the only shocks available any more are gas, and I don't like any of them, tried Monroes KYB, and Gabriels. I sure miss the old Gabriel adjustable E's that I use to run on all my Fords. I prefer a solid feel in the suspension, if I wanted a marshmallow ride I'd buy a Lincoln..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

So Zap.. they just won't work?... different set up?.....Getting a heavy duty shock is not a problem.. just trying to stay along the lines of a "Ford type product"... if that makes any sense.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-08-04 10:25
I guess thats the way to go if you just want stock springs. The advantage of having them made is you can them beefed up if needed. As far as shocks go and this is just my opinion, Monroes are cheap pieces of crap, bottom of the barrel. Unfortunately about the only shocks available any more are gas, and I don't like any of them, tried Monroes KYB, and Gabriels. I sure miss the old Gabriel adjustable E's that I use to run on all my Fords. I prefer a solid feel in the suspension, if I wanted a marshmallow ride I'd buy a Lincoln..

Ha ha ha

hiball3985

Using wagon springs in a car isn't a problem, I did it in my custom 300. It rode a little stiffer, but not much and handled a whole lot better.. I don't recall if I used the same Ubolts or used ones from a wagon.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2013-08-04 10:32
So Zap.. they just won't work?... different set up?.....Getting a heavy duty shock is not a problem.. just trying to stay along the lines of a "Ford type product"... if that makes any sense.

Jeff, they'll work on wagons and rancheros just not on the rest of the line, go back and read an update on my last post.

So far no one has mentioned CARRERA , are they still in business? Back in the day when we were club racing they were the source for anything odd duck bit spendy but quality thru and thru. Seem to remember business always slowed down during hunting season.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Jeff...on the rear shocks....back a year or two ago, Jim Nolan did an interesting post on rear shocks. If I'm remembering correctly, what he found was that it was in fact the travel of the shocks that was limiting the distance the differential would drop down when you were changing a back tire. For guys with larger tires on the back, obviously quite common, it meant undoing the shocks to get the tires out. Not good if your fixing a flat on the road. He found a shock that was made for a '56 Ford pickup (?) that had the same mounting configuration as the oem '57 passenger cars, but had a longer travel, allowing the changing of tires to be much easier. The last report I saw from him was they were working really well as far as ride and not bottoming out on potholes, ect. Maybe we could get him to chime in and give us a follow-up. I'll send him a pm to make sure he sees this.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2013-08-03 06:58
The rear shocks for the wagon and Ranchero differ from the regular passenger car.  The top mount has a heavy tab that goes through an "eye" and two bolts hold the tab to the cross member.  Fronts are the same.

Could some one post a picture of this set-up, what i'm picturing in my head is what is common Ford 60s front shocks mounts such as found in Mustangs, Falcons, Fairlanes or anything else with those very intrusive shock towers. If so maybe there is a cross reference number that will work. Anyone have access to a Hollander?
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-08-04 11:52
Could some one post a picture of this set-up, what i'm picturing in my head is what is common Ford 60s front shocks mounts such as found in Mustangs, Falcons, Fairlanes or anything else with those very intrusive shock towers. If so maybe there is a cross reference number that will work. Anyone have access to a Hollander?
You have the right picture in your head, they are just like the fronts on Mustangs, Fairlanes .. I'm to lazy today to pull a wheel off to take a picture  :003:

Maybe this will help
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

JimNolan

Guys,
   The shock that will fit a 57 and let the axle drop down to put bigger tires on it is a 56 Ford Fairlane. Not a pick-up. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Thanks Jim...I looked, just couldn't find that thread. Still working out good for you I assume since no comment to the contrary.?
Rich

JimNolan

Yes Rich, The longer shock has more than enough travel when you hit a bump. I've never bottomed mine out and I've hit some pretty big bumps. The stock 57 Shock has more travel than it needs when it comes to shoving a wheel upwards. I have no idea what they thought when they designed the travel with that much upward availability. Maybe bumps were bigger back then.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

suede57ford

I just had a set of leafs made at St. Louis spring, that I tried after reading on this forum another member had them make some '57 springs.  About $275.

I had them do a 2" inch drop, and they worked great.  I recommend that you have them move the center bolts back about 3/4" from when they set them, makes the tires much easier to get in and out.

I also am having them make a set with a thicker upper leaf so that with a bunch of weight in the car it doesn't sag as bad, plus helps spring wrap up.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Great suggestion with moving the bolts back 3/4". I'll keep that in mind.
Pat...met your dad last night at the Polk st. cruise. He was fixing a leak in his gas line.

Jeff Norwell

Thanks for the input fellas.
here is where I am at........
I am toying with the idea of getting a complete 9 inch rear end made complete(Maybe Currie's)....big bearing,28 or 31 spline,drum brakes,nod. third member,etc,etc.... I want the whole unit to look like a stocker..... no obvious bells or whistles.I am researching to make sure the rear end has the same drum brake configuration.(I think the aftermarket ones are wider,..not sure)
Anyhow.... back to the question at hand... the springs and shocks.....I want a heavy duty spring pack and a somewhat factory heavy duty shock.....everything will be painted a factory semi satin black.
so......

Jim..... is there a certain part # for the 56 ford shocks..make? or is a product like mac's can get?
Zap... every time I hear Carrerra... I always visualize some type of coil over.....am I wrong?.....I really don't want that.
hiball3985.... hear ya on the soft ride....no lincoln ride for me either...
Stance and performance must go hand in hand...(for me anyhow....(artist thing I guess).... Any sag in the rear end stance would be a definite no no.
I should also mention my car I am building is not gonna be a blistering super sonic light to light thing..... much more interested in building a hiway hauler.... with the 4 speed stick..I plan to have a 3.00 or 3.10 rear ratio,.....

Suede57ford/Pat....when you say center bolts..... umm...your talking about the centerbolts on the spring pack?.correct?.... really like the idea of a thicker upper leaf....
P.S---Pat... still need that 4-door custom 300 trim we spoke about....I will try to holler at ya in the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks guys....for ALL the replies.

Jeff Norwell

Oh yea...I am running the skinny-est bias plies ever..... located some Hi-po wheels.... 5 inch wide.....
I have another set of stocker rims I will have as back up with a radial deal.....