News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

first semi long distance ride

Started by hiball3985, 2013-08-02 18:39

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I've been hesitant to take a long trip because I still don't have a spare or jack. But this morning I bit the bullet and we just went with fingers crossed. The total trip was 192 miles round trip 90% mountain driving in 3000-5000 elevation with a couple of side dirt road excursions. First stop was the Devils Punchbowl ( 1st shot ), I did a one mile hike that almost killed me  :005: then continued through the mountains to the town of Wrightwood for lunch. On one dirt road excursion we saw a deer and her baby, the little one ran before the wife could take a shot through the windshield and you can just barely see the other on the road if you look closely. The Ranchero ran like a clock  :003: I have no idea what kind of mileage any of my 57's in the past got, back in those days I didn't care, so I still have to fill up again to see what this one got, just out of curiosity.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

Jim - I have a bumper jack that is restored.  It is one of those jacks that I collected during my search for the proper 57 jack.  It has the base and lug wrench with it and it will work on your Ranchero.  You are welcome to it.  I prefer not to ship it but if you are in the Alhambra area anytime you can pick it up.  I am leaving town on Aug 11-23 but any other time is fine.  Give me a call at (213) 709-8904 before you come. 

hiball3985

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2013-08-02 19:47
Jim - I have a bumper jack that is restored.  It is one of those jacks that I collected during my search for the proper 57 jack.  It has the base and lug wrench with it and it will work on your Ranchero.  You are welcome to it.  I prefer not to ship it but if you are in the Alhambra area anytime you can pick it up.  I am leaving town on Aug 11-23 but any other time is fine.  Give me a call at (213) 709-8904 before you come.
Thank you Bill, I appreciate the offer. I will contact you after you return and come pick it up.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
   Yes I can see the deer in the picture.  Good shot!!!!!  you have to be fast to get a picture of them.
    Your car looks great.  I'm happy for you that it runs as good as it did on your trip and will be waiting for a final report on the gas mileage.  I hope that you use the bumper jack just for show and get a scissor jack or a small hydraulic one for actually jacking it up in an emergency. 
     Are you running a Y block?   Jay     

Frankenstein57

Jim, I mounted this case in the back of the bed, I keep a cheap floor jack, socket set, wrench set in there. Also a little detail bag for shows or cruise in nights. Note the sticker in the rear window!  Mark

57AGIN

James & Guys:

Speaking of "stickers," I proudly display mine for all to see, on both sides of 57 AGIN.  I'm hoping to see it and the stickers soon in a Modified Mustangs and Fords magazine article.  I get plenty of comments and questions about the stickers and have given out all the ones that James sent me some time ago.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Love that shot of your car...are you guys havin' quakes again?
JMHO, but if James runs some more stickers, I think it would be cool to have the .com at the bottom of the sticker..added to(below) the existing image.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-08-02 21:55
Jim
   Yes I can see the deer in the picture.  Good shot!!!!!  you have to be fast to get a picture of them.
    Your car looks great.  I'm happy for you that it runs as good as it did on your trip and will be waiting for a final report on the gas mileage.  I hope that you use the bumper jack just for show and get a scissor jack or a small hydraulic one for actually jacking it up in an emergency. 
     Are you running a Y block?   Jay     

Jay, I had planned on getting a hydraulic jack but a bumper jack will work fine in an emergency, I used them all the time years ago and never had a problem. And how often do you get a flat, I can only recall getting one in the last 30 years. Mine is a stock 292 with a small 4V Holley off road carb and Pertronix ignition. As soon as it gets daylight I will go fill it up and see what the actual gallons are and report back. When we arrived home it showed half a tank on the gauge but have you ever noticed there are more gallons in the first half then the last half  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2013-08-02 22:01
Jim, I mounted this case in the back of the bed, I keep a cheap floor jack, socket set, wrench set in there. Also a little detail bag for shows or cruise in nights. Note the sticker in the rear window!  Mark
I had considered doing something like that but I have a small box with sockets, wrenches, set of points etc that I have to shuffle between 3 cars now which I rather do then having a separate set for each one. I don't do cruises or shows, in fact I hate even washing the thing, I just want to drive it  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-08-03 07:11
Love that shot of your car...are you guys havin' quakes again?
JMHO, but if James runs some more stickers, I think it would be cool to have the .com at the bottom of the sticker..added to(below) the existing image.
Funny you should mention that Rich, that whole area we traveled was actually along the San Andreas fault. Heres a few shots from our hike and you can see what quakes do to the geology. This area has two faults that intersect. Having the dot.com on the sticker is a good idea.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Jay,
I really had to force it to get 12 gallons exactly in so that makes it 16mpg. That's ok for me considering the type of mountain driving. I'm sure it would do a little better if it was hiway driving. But for my first long trip I decided if I was going to experience any problems I would rather have them some place nice rather the on the side of some damn So Cal freeway  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

6cyl57

hiball, thanks for sharing the journey and great pictures. Ranchero looks great, I like the rims.
Also nice to see its not afraid of the gravel.

And 57again sure like that color combo on yours. Never get tired of seeing it.

Jeff Norwell

Beautiful Ranchero!.....great shots...very envious!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Thank you for all the nice comments guys, it turned out being a great day. We left at 6:00 am and when we got up in the mountains a little ways it got pretty cool and we dressed in shorts so I had to stop and manually turn on the valve on the intake manifold to get water to the heater, I'm still in need of a heater core with the control valve, and later in the morning I had to turn it off. Another thing to add to the list  :003:. I'm still stalling on doing the window channel and wind wing seal work.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Nice trip!!!

Went on Power Tour (2200 miles) with no parts or spares.  Had a jack and cash.