News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

first semi long distance ride

Started by hiball3985, 2013-08-02 18:39

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-08-03 13:16
Nice trip!!!

Went on Power Tour (2200 miles) with no parts or spares.  Had a jack and cash.
That was a small tip for me. It's amazing how these old Fords keep going, My last long trip last summer was LA to Chama NM plus a few side trips was 2100 miles in my 1960 F100 that has 442,000 miles on it, never skipped a beat. I carry a few extra parts but have never need them yet. The worst on road problem I had was when returning from Tuscon Arizona on the southern route through Yuma, I had a generator brush spring break at the Salton Sea and still made it to LA on just the battery..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57AGIN

hiball3985:

Seeing those photos brings back some distant fond memories.  When I was in collage I was an Earth Science major and had to do a field exercise at where the San Andreas fault crosses the I-15.  We had to do a plane table survey and climb up and down the cliffs and exposures to take the strike and dip of the formations.  Then we had to explain how the formations got they way they are now.  We spent about 8 weekends doing the field work, it was interesting and I got a good grade in the class.  Fortunately, I was only 30 at the time.  No way I could do that now.  Going to the WinterNationals and World Finals at Pomona and climbing up and down the stands is about all that kind of exercise I can do now.  Also, sitting beside/behind Rick's & my car in a comfortable chair at car shows gives me plenty of good outdoor time now days.  LOL

Bob
57 AGIN

hiball3985

Bob,
Thats cool. I know exactly where that is in the Cajon Pass, I spend time up there frequently. The fault created a little lake in that area also, Lost Lake. It was my research as to why the lake was there that I found out I was on the fault line  :003:
I hear you about grandstands, I don't do drags anymore but climb the ones at Calif Speedway  :005:.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

[quote author=hiball3985 link=topic=I really had to force it to get 12 gallons exactly in so that makes it 16mpg. That's ok for me considering the type of mountain driving. I'm sure it would do a little better if it was hiway driving. But for my first long trip I decided if I was going to experience any problems I would rather have them some place nice rather the on the side of some damn So Cal freeway  [/quote]

Jim  In my mind,16 is good.  I would be happy if I can get that with my Y block whenever I do get the car done and on the road.  The truth is that I don't expect much with the dual quads.
       It's wonderful that you and your wife are enjoying the car and thanks for sharing your trip with us.  Jay

57AGIN

hiball3985 & Others:

Sorry about hijacking the topic on this thread, but honestly didn't know where else to respond.  Highball, you are correct about the location.  My wife's family had a two story "cabin" up in Wrightwood, about 10 miles North West as the crow flies.  When I was dating her in the mid-60's, I asked her if her parents were aware they had built directly on top of the San Andreas Fault.  She didn't know.  Well, it is still standing and there hasn't been a major quake on that fault since then.  But, one is surely overdue and the rest of Southern California will more than likely get our share of it.  IMO waiting for the next quake is going to be a longer wait than that the rest of the country faces in relation to the various weather related problems that has struck in the last few years.

Bob
57 AGIN

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-08-03 22:17
Jim  In my mind,16 is good.  I would be happy if I can get that with my Y block whenever I do get the car done and on the road.  The truth is that I don't expect much with the dual quads.
       It's wonderful that you and your wife are enjoying the car and thanks for sharing your trip with us.  Jay
Jay, I wouldn't expect yours to do any worst, it's more relevant to how you drive, gearing etc.
Lets say you are cruising at 2500 rpm, the engine can only take in so much CFM air/fuel that the cam and head design will allow, it doesn't matter if you have one carb or six. You may actually get better mileage with the duals because of better fuel distribution. I was happy with the 16mpg, being mountain driving I was pushing it a little on the straight a ways, braking fairly hard for the corners since this is the first 57 I've had with disc brakes. I'm really a road racer at heart  :003: I'll be getting one of the big sway bar set ups in the near future.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2013-08-03 22:29
hiball3985 & Others:

Sorry about hijacking the topic on this thread, but honestly didn't know where else to respond.  Highball, you are correct about the location.  My wife's family had a two story "cabin" up in Wrightwood, about 10 miles North West as the crow flies.  When I was dating her in the mid-60's, I asked her if her parents were aware they had built directly on top of the San Andreas Fault.  She didn't know.  Well, it is still standing and there hasn't been a major quake on that fault since then.  But, one is surely overdue and the rest of Southern California will more than likely get our share of it.  IMO waiting for the next quake is going to be a longer wait than that the rest of the country faces in relation to the various weather related problems that has struck in the last few years.

Bob
57 AGIN
Bob, no problem hijacking any of my threads by you or anyone else. I don't do any of the social media stuff, just a couple of forums so add what ever you like. I enjoy hearing others stories or info on anything.
I had a similar situation, my parents bought a cabin in Frazier Park right on the fault line in the early 70's and then retired there. I had to move them back down here in about 2000 when it got too much for them to be on there own. They are 92 now and just celebrated the 70th wedding anniversary. I'm their main care taker now. And to semi keep this on track we came from NY and drove to Arizona where we first lived in a brand new 57 that my dad bought for the trip..

I'm only 8-10 mile as the crow flies from the fault that caused the Northridge quake, we went for a pretty good ride that morning and I rode out the Sylmar quake in 71-72? So I believe it can happen on the San Andreas at anytime, there's no way of knowing. I did set up some quake supplies in 55 gallon drums. I just hope I never need them.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-08-04 07:42
Bob, no problem hijacking any of my threads by you or anyone else. ... I enjoy hearing others stories or info on anything.
Oh! That's good!
Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-08-02 18:39... we saw a deer
Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-08-03 07:11...are you guys havin' quakes again?
'Cause with all this talk about earthquakes & mentioning the deer I can't resist mentioning the big deer (*moose!) & quakes we that we have around here.  *Yes, moose are the biggest species of the deer family.*

Check out the size of this guy when he walks past the fence gate.
(Click the pic, very short vid)

Then there is stuff like this ...    
They show up in my yard fairly often.

You don't want to hit one!

March 1964 9.2 quake.  The old main drag, downtown, 4th Avenue, got a major ... revamp?

This upper class subdivision was named "Turnagain by the Sea".  A lot of ended up being "Turnagain IN the Sea".  Hard to see in this first pic but there are houses all around down there.

It was bad but places like Valdez (Val-Dees), Seward, Kodiak had it worse when hit by the tsunami. Some smaller places were completely washed away & they moved what was left of Valdez. 

OK, sorry 'bout that.     
Please don't ban me.  It's not like I put a Che brand X in a Ford.    Put a 351W in a guy's brand X Love Truck once. :001:

Back on topic ...
Hiball & Frankenstein, I do envy your beautiful Rancheros.  I know mine will never be near as nice.
16 mpg too! Wow, that's good!

Jeff Norwell

We got no Quakes.. but lots and lots of Bullwinkles... yea.don't hit one..... they always win.... and stay away from the men folk Bullwinkles when there in rut.....big trouble hahahah
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Tom S

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2013-08-06 15:04.... and stay away from the men folk Bullwinkles when there in rut.....big trouble
Guaranteed bigger trouble if you are anywhere near a cow with a calf or two.  More people get killed by moose up here than bears.

And believe me any of them suckers with those big long legs can move.  I swear I've seen them doing 30 mph right thru the thick woods & brush right in front of my house.

hiball3985

Thats cool, no Bullwinkles down here, just deer, bear, and rattlers. I sure wouldn't want to mess with one or even hit one. I've seen cars totally destroyed from just hitting deer. I had an older cousin who was stationed in Alaska in the late 50's and they hit a deer returning to the base in a jeep, the two guys in the front got killed, my cousin and another guy in the back survived with major injuries. Stop talking about quakes, you are making me nervous  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-08-06 15:41I had an older cousin who was stationed in Alaska in the late 50's and they hit a deer returning to the base in a jeep, the two guys in the front got killed, my cousin and another guy in the back survived with major injuries.
Hit a deer or a moose?  We don't have deer here in Southcentral or farther North, just moose.  But they do have deer in Southeast & Kodiak.  Yeah people in cars have died.  In the 50s & 60s hit one & the moose would sometimes roll over the hood, still be kicking with it's legs thru the windshield & thrashing around.
In a jeep you would really be screwed. 
Seems like anymore most people seem to be getting killed by getting stomped.  There is a vid of one such case.  Guy screwed up.
Quote from: hiball3985Stop talking about quakes, you are making me nervous  :003:
OK.   :003:

That first one really is quite realistic & has just a little actual footage.

RICH MUISE

Lots a shakin' going on there. Your moose pics make me miss living in the country. In Colorado we had deer in our yard every day....two different herds used the same path thru my back yard..one herd going up the mountain, the other down. One day both herds met and I counted 28 in my back yard...about 1/4 of them bucks. An occational p.i.t.a. bear, only once a mountain lion. One year a deer gave birth in our back yard and kept the fawn there. Three times a day, she'd come get the fawn out from under our shed (back of it raised up on posts), nurse it, walk it around the yard, and then coax it back under the shed. She was like clockwork..never more than 10 minutes off.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Wow, after seeing that there just isn't anything to be said.  I looked through the book about the big quake in New Zeeland that Alan & Julie sent me from Christ Church, NZ.  I thought that was bad, but I believe the Valdez quake and the resulting tsunami was probably worse.  My daughter was almost born during the 1971 Sylmar Quake in Southern California, but it was nothing compared to those quakes.

Bob
57 AGIN

hiball3985

Quote from: Tom S on 2013-08-06 16:18
Hit a deer or a moose?  We don't have deer here in Southcentral or farther North, just moose.  But they do have deer in Southeast & Kodiak. 
I have no idea what part of Alaska it was, that was maybe 1958-59 and I was only 11-12 years old and I have a hard time remembering what happened yesterday  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang