Thunder Road 57 Custom on display at Summit Racing in GA

Started by CableguyJJS3, 2013-08-04 16:07

Previous topic - Next topic

CableguyJJS3

I had forgotten the movie car was a Fairlane but yes, his competition drove a black Custom. I would guess now that's just some kinda Georgia bootleg moonshine car and they put out the movie poster to go with it, no idea. Next time I make a run to Melvins for parts for the Ranchero, I will ask if anyone there knows anything about the car. Given they are a fantastic supplier of early Ford parts whom I have gotten alot for the Ranchero from, I figure if anyone knows anything about that car, they would have the best chance.

Also I went to Summit to get all the parts to plumb in the 4 wheel disc brake conversion I am currently in the middle of, I have to make a few exchanges for various reasons. But when I go back sometime this week I will be bringing my camera with me and should be able to get something better than the cell phone pics I have now. I'll be sure to share with you guys when I do.

And just out of curiousity Jeff, what FE are you building for your car?? Do you have a build thread somewhere I can follow?? My cars are destined to have FE's as well, just curious what your setup is going to look like. Thanks.  Jim
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

Jeff Norwell

CableguyJJS3/

No I have no build thread as of yet...but starting in the fall..... I just sealed the deal on a 406 I have been chasing for a while....and have been collecting some FE's for the transplant.
a very good 390 GT and 1 65 plain 390 out of a 65 Galaxie.
I really want a look very similar to what you posted and this pic I grabbed off the net.
My car is a 300 custom...But I made use the reg. custom trim....not sure yet.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Keeping it with the stock look like the photo is what I would do also if I had a Custom. If you put the FE in it those rear tires and rear U joint wont last long  :003:
I wonder if the 58s used a heavier front spring on cars equipped with the FE?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

Ha ha ...don't know Jim...but I will buy stock in tires and u joint ha ha
that look is my plan

TexasFordGuy

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-08-06 07:57
Keeping it with the stock look like the photo is what I would do also if I had a Custom. If you put the FE in it those rear tires and rear U joint wont last long  :003:
I wonder if the 58s used a heavier front spring on cars equipped with the FE?

They would be pretty close to the same weight

Ford Y block V8 625 (272-312 CID)
Ford FE big block 650 (332-428 CID)
Ford FE big block 670 ('59 352 CID)

With Aluminum heads and manifold around 625 for an FE

1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

hiball3985

Thats interesting, I just assumed a FE would be a lot heavier then a Y, 25lbs isn't much at all.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57AGIN

Guys:

For authenticity I believe the car should have had a large built-in tank for "haulin  or dumpin the shine," but it still looks great with the mason jars in the trunk. (LOL)  Besides that, yes, it is a great looking car and makes a heck of a display.  And, yes, I'm going to break out my DVD of Thunder Road and get me a fixin of the good ole South.  My Southern California up bringing just doesn't do justice to what you guys back East were raised in and are able to drive your 57's in.

Bob
57 AGIN

hiball3985

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2013-08-06 13:36
Guys:

For authenticity I believe the car should have had a large built-in tank for "haulin  or dumpin the shine," but it still looks great with the mason jars in the trunk. (LOL)  Besides that, yes, it is a great looking car and makes a heck of a display.  And, yes, I'm going to break out my DVD of Thunder Road and get me a fixin of the good ole South.  My Southern California up bringing just doesn't do justice to what you guys back East were raised in and are able to drive your 57's in.

Bob
57 AGIN
Are you saying with all you modification you still can't lay an oil slick  :003: I wanted to watch the movie again too, then realized I only have it on VHS and I don't even have a VHS player anymore  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57AGIN

hiball3985:

Now that is a sad story of technology catching up and passing us by.  By the way, the only oil slick I can lay is out the Side of the Engine, Oil Pan, Transmission or Differential and I really don't want to do any of them.  lol

Bob
57 AGIN

CableguyJJS3

Jeff,

Definitely keep me in the loop on your build, I am very interested. I also have a Custom 300 that's getting a 406. So is the Del Rio wagon and the Ranchero I have, gonna be a matched set lol. I prefer the look of the full length stainless with the gold trim but that pic you posted is a sweet looking car as well, should look killer either way. I will probably be making my return run to Summit tomorrow or Thursday so hopefully i will have better pics of the car to post then. As for the guys that asked about springs, I hae been told to get the stance you guys hae been talking about, mid 60's FE Galaxie springs are the ones to use. But that's just hearsay at this point , even though my Custom 300 has a 390 in it already, I believe the springs are original, not entirely sure. I plan on investigating that further when the time for suspension comes closer.

Jeff Norwell

Jim
I will keep you(and all) posted on the build.
I will say this here and deny it if anyone ever asks me...Somedays I want to get rid of my 32s and just concentrate on my 57...... I just love them.Saying that,I had one of my 32's longer than I have been married. ha ha ha
32's are just money pits..... like no other........... ugh.

hiball3985

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2013-08-06 17:46
hiball3985:

Now that is a sad story of technology catching up and passing us by.  By the way, the only oil slick I can lay is out the Side of the Engine, Oil Pan, Transmission or Differential and I really don't want to do any of them.  lol

Bob
57 AGIN
We sure don't want that kind of an oil slick  :003:
I don't even try to keep up with technology any more, it moves way faster then I do. I'll probably die with holding the record for the last person on earth without a cell phone..
I do have a DVD player and my son has the movie on DVD so I will have to borrow it.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-08-06 18:38I'll probably die with holding the record for the last person on earth without a cell phone..
Nope. Me & at least two other guys I know.
Got a combo DVD/VHS player recorder at Costco a few years ago so I could copy VHS to DVD.
Use it so seldom that I have to check the crappy damn manual every time I want to record a race.
Then it usually takes me about a half hour to get the recorder set up.   >:(

CableguyJJS3

Well bad news guys, I went back to Summit today, the car was gone. I asked the guy at the counter, he said the trailer came and got it yesterday. But I did find out that I was wrong with my engine guess. According to the counter guy it was a big block car. A 429 based motor with the new John Kaase Boss 429 heads stroked out to 547"s. He said around 850hp and it sounded wicked when they drove it out and into the trailer. It is owned by someone local here in GA and I have an idea who, based on what he told me. If I am correct it is hiding in a private car collection of some of the most amazing Fords on the planet in west Georgia. I believe there is a museum also for viewing, but I am unsure at the moment, I need to do some more research. I'll let you know what I find out.

hiball3985

If I had a chance to own a car like that it would never see a trailer..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang