News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Aerostar front spring swap

Started by highpockets, 2017-02-09 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

I purchased a set of CC850 coil springs awhile ago from Amazon. They are supposedly the Aerostar van springs commonly used in the 49-51 Fords. I thought I would try them in my 58 Sedan Delivery. My car was originally a 6 cylinder, 3 speed and that is the factory springs in it. I have a pair of springs from a 352 58 wagon also for reference. I will post a picture of the 3 springs side by side. New/Aerostar, cleaner/58 6 cyl., and rusty look/58 wagon. The Aerostars are noticeably shorter uninstalled, but fit easily. I measured the front bumper corners before installing the new springs and they lowered it about 1 3/4". It was a little low anyways because of a 390 with 6 cylinder springs. I have it on the hoist, but when I get it down, I will take some pics of it. Kinda hard to judge though because I have some junk tires that are quite a bit smaller than what I intend to run. The new springs are supposed to ride much better than the original because they are a progressive rate. I am sure others here have done this swap, but I am kinda new, so thought I'd share my experience.

hiball3985

Thanks for posting the comparison, may be this should go in the suspension section of the forum. There have been many posts about the Aerostar springs both positive and negative. I almost bought some but with the Granada spindles and 14" wheel I would have been way too low without using spacers and I didn't want to go that route.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

interesting info on the new springs, thank you for sharing. 1-3/4" drop sound just perfect!
I will soon be in the process of fitting Aerostars as well. I got 2 used sets this week that need blasting and paint, but my hoping is that the used ones will not sag any with time.

lalessi1

For me they lowered the car too much. I wound using a 3/4" spacer which the spring needed to seat at full suspension extension anyway. I bought new ones from Rock Auto... great price! Moog CC850.
Lynn