News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

more useless information

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-08-07 16:50

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

From the nearly useless files.....For those of us short on space, I've found trash cans to be a useful multi-purpose item. I started using them 4 or 5 years ago outside to store car parts I didn't have enough inside storage area for. They worked great for that, just dollar store cheapies, but they kept the parts dry all those years.
After pulling some of the parts for restoration and giving some parts away, I had an extra trash can. One day I was trying to figure some way of blocking the wind so I could mig weld a small part. I grabbed a couple pieces of cement fibre siding I was putting on my house, put them in the trash barrell, and welded away. Worked great. The cement fibre siding does not burn, molten weld droppings just don't phase it. The trash barrel worked great to block the wind. Later that day I had to sandblast the parts...trash barrell worked great there also. It contained most of the sand for reuse in the blaster. When I was done, I just flipped the trash barrell on top of the presurized sandblaster to keep it dry in rainstorms. 8 or 10 bucks..heck of an investment. Enough trash talk for one day.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

good idea, I've used some of that very siding to build some small concrete forms. But this use is even better. thanks for sharing.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

gasman826

To stay with the theme, I use recovered shopping carts for project specific tools and supplies. 
- electrical stuff...wire on spools roll on a piece of conduit run from side to side
- plumbing stuff
- body tools and supplies
- engine parts
- hinge a little table on top for work space
- upholstery materials and supplies
When projects change, just wheel the cart back to cold storage and out of the shop.

RICH MUISE

Carefull here..somebody's gonna call Albertson's. LOL
Good idea...now all I need is a floor I can roll things on.

hiball3985

Grest idea Rich, I'm going to try that for sandblasting. Right now I'm the only one in town with a small beach in their backyard  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

Great idea Rich!
I use a small blast cabinet .and for bigger stuff.I got a crazy mennonite kid I use.......
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

If you have a lot of big stuff to do at the same time, a tent works perfect. I bought a 9 x 22 foot cabin tent when I painted my fenders, doors, hood, etc. worked perfectly. Cost was about 89. bucks. When I was done painting, I sandblasted a bunch of stuff. A blasting cabinet big enough to get into! a broom, dustpan, and a sifter recouped 95% of the sand. Once I draped a big tarp over the kids' swingset..worked ok, but not as good as the tent.
I have a sandblast cabinet also, but they are so dusty trying to use them inside, I finally just moved mine outside. Finally gave up on it alltogether trying to keep moisture out of it. The pressure blaster works so much more effecient anyways.
If I had a barn or super large garage,  I'd set up a tent or two inside...one for paint and one for sandblasting. The Texas sun and wind won't let you use them more than a few months outside.

Zapato

just saw this on a shoebox ford (49-51) blog, four tall beer bottles uses as a stand to paint a gas tank.

Zapato

RICH MUISE

LOL..I bet they were empties.

Zapato

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-08-09 22:40
LOL..I bet they were empties.

believe he said something about having to get another set for the second side.

Zapato