News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Started by James77, 2013-08-20 10:02

Previous topic - Next topic

James77

Hello all, James77 here, just joined. Looks like a pretty cool place. I'm interested in 57 Fords, I'd like to have me an old car some day. Gotta get the family car paid off first though. So, all I can do right now is research...LOL! What I wanna know is what are the going prices for 57 Fords, like the 2dr hardtops and 2dr sedans? Are they out of reach for the common joe? I know it'd be cheaper in the long run to buy a more complete car. Love cars from the 50's.......love that time period anyway. I hope their not like Tri Five Chevys!! Thanks in return for your answers, may the Lord bless you!!

Jeff Norwell

What's a tri-five chevy?
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

Welcome! hahaha
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

James.
    Welcome to the forum.  You will find lots of helpful and informative people here.  Depending on your abilities, try to find the most complete car that you can find for the money that you can afford  to spend.

"I hope their not like Tri Five Chevys!! Thanks in return for your answers, may the Lord bless you!!"

I honestly don't know what a Tri Five Chevy is though.   Hope it's not contagious.

May the good Lord bless you also.   Jay

James77

What I was meaning by not being like tri five chevys is the prices. I like all old cars, just some seem to be out of reach though for an average guy Hope that's not the case with 57 Fords!

hiball3985

I'm sure you can find a 57 Ford to buy more affordable then the Chebbie. Parts may not be quite as plentiful. As a general rule of thumb with any classic, you buy one for $5000 and invest $10,000 more and when you are done you have a $5000 car  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

6cyl57

Welcome to the  board, I am fairly new here also. There is a lot
of great people on here that are very knowledgeable about the 57 Fords.
Take a look in the forsale section, and you can some idea what these are going for.
I searched for quite awhile before I got mine. And from what I have seen I don't
think you can buy one for under $6,000 that you can hop in and drive.
Its looking like anything under $4,000 needs floors, fenders ,drivetrain,and
interior.
best of luck to ya.

Frankenstein57

Welcome, a guy posted a fairlane 500 today, if it is what he says it is, it would be hard to build it for that . Many of us  find a good deal for 2--5K, but by the time you get it where you want it, you have 10-15K in it.  Mark

GaryI72

Welcome to the board.  In the process of a resto that started 25 years ago when I was sixteen.  I think it's close to 15k and climbing so far and we haven't turned the key. We look at 57's for sale and ask ourselves what the hell are we doing.

RICH MUISE

OK...I haven't been doing much posting lately, got a ton of stuff going on, unfortunatly none of it '57 related. Super tired, falling asleep at the keyboard, but....
There's probably not to many car guys / owner-builders / etc. that got into it for a profit. It seems like it's always gonna cost more building a car piece by piece over the years than going out and buying a completed car as most sellers are willing to take a loss. It's easier to budget in a car piece by piece however, than coming up with the big bucks all at once.
That said, this is for most of us a hobby, a labor of love, and the pride you can't buy. Being able to say "I did it" is worth every penny. I stopped keeping track of my expenditures along time ago.....don't want to be looking back thinking "I spent WHAT on sandpaper, etc.
Also I've seen big jumps in at least the asking prices of alot of '57 Fords. Not that they're getting it, maybe some are, but at least prices are on the rise. Not sure I could say that about the tri five chchchechev's.

Welcome to the forumn James 77!
LOL...I haven't posted for three days and my karma went up a point! Somebody trying to tell me something?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

After reading these posts he may not return  :003:

I don't keep receipts for two reasons.
I don't want to know.
I don't want the wife to know  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

James77

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-08-22 19:26
After reading these posts he may not return  :003:

I don't keep receipts for two reasons.
I don't want to know.
I don't want the wife to know  :003:

I'm still here!!!! LOL! :003:

RICH MUISE

I should have added...It's still a way better cost to equity than buying a new car...hands down, and you end up with something unique.I think of it as building a new car piece by piece, as far as costs go. What's that 30K '13 gonna be worth in '23? If you keep improving or at least maintaining your '57's, It's sure gonna hold it's value a lot better than a new car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: James77 on 2013-08-22 19:30

I'm still here!!!! LOL! :003:
Good, I really wish you luck in finding a 57..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-08-22 20:45
I should have added...It's still a way better cost to equity than buying a new car...hands down, and you end up with something unique.I think of it as building a new car piece by piece, as far as costs go. What's that 30K '13 gonna be worth in '23? If you keep improving or at least maintaining your '57's, It's sure gonna hold it's value a lot better than a new car.
I couldn't agree more Rich. I have never bought a new car or made a car payment, and I'm sure all my old clunkers are worth more today then what I have invested.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang