News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1-2-3-...LIFT-OFF!

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2013-08-22 16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

Love........it!

Meanwhile...my throttle got stuck open when in Park, over-revving the motor by accident. I was messing with the throttle return spring and idle screw. The spring hung up on the screw and the engine revved very quickly, taking me surprise for a second. It was all I could to shut off the motor.

Think I bent a push rod...stupid.

hiball3985

Bent push rod or broken rocker stud usually only happens when the valve hits the piston, hope that isn't the case..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-08-23 08:51
Bent push rod or broken rocker stud usually only happens when the valve hits the piston, hope that isn't the case..

Me, too...lucky I wasn't driving on the freeway.

Engine runs a bit rough like running on only 7 cylinders. No bad noises, though. Will know more after inspection in a few days when time permits.

*thread hijack over*

Rob

Jeff Norwell

Hope your car is ok Rob.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2013-08-24 06:58
Hope your car is well alsook Rob.

Rob
I hope that it checks out OK also. 
Jay

robhaerr

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Will know more after my engine guru comes over to inspect Monday evening. I am not touching it until then.

I have been very nervous hoping it's not serious...ground cam lobe, valve hitting piston, you know...

I have read lots of forum threads about over-revving and what it *could* be.

robhaerr

After inspection...

-compression in all cylinders good
-no broken valve springs
-no bent push rods

maybe a lifter got stuck...will check next session. Need to replace cheap intake manifold gaskets anyway that seem to be leaking a tad.

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

Emotioncons are getting more bizarre monthly... hahahaha
Good news Rob.

hiball3985

Quote from: robhaerr on 2013-08-26 23:05
After inspection...

-compression in all cylinders good
-no broken valve springs
-no bent push rods

maybe a lifter got stuck...will check next session. Need to replace cheap intake manifold gaskets anyway that seem to be leaking a tad.
Might be a collapsed lifter. Be careful where you buy them if needed, many of the Chinese ones aren't too good.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-08-27 13:49
Might be a collapsed lifter. Be careful where you buy them if needed, many of the Chinese ones aren't too good.

Thanks...that's the next thing we will check.

Limey57

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2013-08-22 16:28
The Gold cup was on last weekend.... lots of my friends went......but this made me smile.....alot.
If you don't care for this picture...Please check your pulse.

Eat that Chevy....A L I V E .

Well that settles it, I'll print that out and put it in the frame on the wall that currently has our wedding photograph in it, I mean, come on, we've been married for 13 years, I know what she looks like by now.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

glen b henderson

Sun Coast Racecars in FL makes a one piece frontend in addition to a full fiberglass body. Ted Eaton out in Lorena TX has one on a tube chassis. Maybe he will get caught up building engines long enough to finish it one day. It would be awesome with one of his 500 hp+ y blocks.
Freedom is not Free

Jeff Norwell

This one is a local car... with a full tilt front end and a Cammer...... the man that owns this has a brother who has a 57 ranchero as well with a 427 side oiler... both have been in the family since the very early sixties...I will try and get some better pics....

robhaerr

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2013-08-28 04:35
This one is a local car... with a full tilt front end and a Cammer...... the man that owns this has a brother who has a 57 ranchero as well with a 427 side oiler... both have been in the family since the very early sixties...I will try and get some better pics....

Oh Man...I am really missing a bundle o' snakes headers in those wheel wells!