News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

oil pans

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2013-09-11 07:39

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

cougar 4.6 motor,   needs a oil pan,   what is a 4.6 motor?,    351?,  what?,  thanks   jerry

Zapato

Right around 277.84 c.i. figured out this way 5liter equals 302 c.i.  old formula product of means = product of extremes  or   5/302=4.6/a  need to find a,     302 times 4.6 divided by 5 equals 277.84 ,

Now the factories always round off numbers. usually up , so it may be a bit off up or down. But don't let the size fool you these engines can/do produce some serious horsepower.

So kinda between a 260 and a 289, hope this helped.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Zapato

Gerry,

Wasn't sure so did some searching and don't believe there ever was a Cougar with a 4.6 V8 motor, all were V6s. Do a Google image search to get an idea what a 4.6 looks like. Needs oil pan not unusual to find one that way as someone probably needed it for a swap, to fit one in our 57s you need one out of a Lincoln and its corresponding oil pickup tube.

Now if those Celica sized Cougars had been offered with a 4.6 Ford wouldn't have sold many Mustangs.
Zapato

Zapato

OK! Zapato must eat crow today, 7th generation Cougars did have 4.6L engines 1994-97. So they probably have had the Lincoln oil pan we need.

YUCK! Crow tastes awful   bawl
Zapato

RICH MUISE

Jerry...The 4.6's are what we've been running alot of threads on in the engine swap board. Ford starting using them in the early nineties with many variations. As Zap said, it's a small block (281ci I thought) modular motor that is huge dimensionally on the outside..they ran them with a single cam version, or a dual cam. Confusing designation, because they are talking cams per head, so the single cam engine (sohc) actually has 2 cams, and the dual engine (dohc) actually has 4 cams.
I don't know anything about what versions were used in the Cougars. Oil pans from any of the versions I would think should work as far as bolting on, the primary thing is whether the Cougar was front wheel drive, or rear wheel drive. The 4.6 front wheel drive versions (such as Lincoln Continental) used a front sump oil pan, while the rear wheel drive versions used a rear sump oil pan. Some oil pans (Lincoln Mark viii) had extra capacity oil pans, which could create fitment problems using them on another vehicle.
LOL..good timing..I'll post a pic in a few minutes..I've got my 4.6 in the driveway with the front sump oil pan installed, and the original high capacity rear sump oil pan on the driveway next to it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

thanks for the info guys,   i should have added,  its a 1997 cougar with a 4.6 V8,     so i would guess its a front wheel drive,     now with the correct info,  what can u guys come up with?.     thanks    jerry

Zapato

Rich, if you have a spare front sump oil pickup let me know.

From what I've read this morning the 7th generation Cougars were the last RWD ones. And am guessing that you'd be hard pressed to find anything but an automatic behind it in a Cougar.
Zapato

RICH MUISE

Zap...sorry I don't have a spare front sump pick up tube.
Jerry..here's a pic of the rear wheel drive DOHC version. This one is from a Markviii. I have the motor mounts swaped, the exhaust manifolds ready and the front sump oil pan/pick up tube from a '95 Lincoln Continental front wheel drive installed.
We'll have to do some checking on the '97 Cougar to find out for SURE what the drivetrain configuration is before we can offer some suggestions. I'll see what I can find out if Zap doesn't beat me to it.
If you look at the old oil pan on the driveway, on the upper right hand corner of the pan is a squarish protrusion..that's the extra capacity oil pan I was talking about
Jerry...Got a new project car?

Zapato

Rich, are you using the Cobra exhaust manifolds ? Or did you go rack & pinion for clearance ? And do you expect any Tranny hump interference issues ? My apologies if we're going off topic but it does seem relevant if one is considering the swap.

Zapato

Zapato

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-09-11 09:09
As Zap said, it's a small block (281ci I thought)

See that number is probably right, my figure is based on a 302 being 5L and its actually a hair under 302, and that rounding out of numbers throws off the math. If I get a chance later will do it the right way  by working bore and stroke numbers. Have to run a couple errands now so it will be later rather than sooner.

Zapato

RICH MUISE

Jerry...from what I can tell, as Zap previously posted, the Cougar 4.6 is a rear wheel drive. It is a single overhead cam version, so it will be much smaller looking than the pic I posted of the dohc. Going from memory, the Lincoln towncars had a rear wheel drive sohc, so that oil pan should work as well as a slew of others that I don't know about. You don't want an oil pan from a dohc as it may present clearance issues with the extra capacity. You also don't want an oil pan from a front wheel drive 4.6 (Lincoln Contintental). I'll do some more checking.
Zap. I made the decision to go with the rack and pinion long before I made the final decision to go with the 4.6 dohc. I am using the '01 Cobra exhaust manifolds, and the motor mounts are 99-01(?) Mustang 4.6. Hopefully before snow flies I'll get to see if all my measuring was done correctly. I modified the front sump oil pan from the '95 Continental to allow me to push back the engine another 1/2".

RICH MUISE

Jerry...Dorman makes reproduction oil pans... O'reilly's, etc. I could not find a listing for a '97 Cougar 4.6 oil pan. I did find one for a '97 Lincoln Towncar, but in the compatability chart, it does not list the Cougar as one it fits. My guess is that it would, but I don't know and that's meerly a guess.
what's your situation...can the oil pan be pulled off, order one from O'reilly's and send it back if it doesn't match? My O'reilly's are really good here about ordering parts in to see if it will work, and no problem not buying if it doesn't.
Here's the link to O'rielly's oil pan:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOE0/264032/02332.oap?year=1997&make=Lincoln&model=Town%2BCar&vi=1188996&ck=Search_oil+pan_1188996_863&keyword=oil+pan

Zapato

Ok! was off on my time had a bit to spare so decided to do the math. The formula for cylinder volume is V=h x pi x r squared

Ford factory specs are as follows bore 3.552 stroke 3.543

follow along

3.552" divided by 2 gives r = 1.776

pi times r  squared =9.909136....

pi = 3.1416

h = 3.543 ( stroke )

V= 3.543 times 9.90913614973  0r 35.108613785 c.i. for one cylinder

V times 8 gives the grand sum of 280.864555028  rounds up to 281 c.i.

officially Ford specs it out as 4.601 liters but why quibble over one thousand of a liter

And again depending how far one goes with ''pi'' the final number will vary just a bit, I used 3.1416 as an example not sure what my calculator used.

I know that on the web there is a chart with tons of useful formulas for automotive use, maybe I'll search for it in the meantime Google will find any formula one at a time just fine.

hope this all makes sense.

Zapato

Zapato

Wow! that oil pan is cheap ! $51.99 at our local O'Reillys

Zapato

RICH MUISE

Yeah it is...there are more expensive versions..probably with more baffles. I sure wish they made one for the Lincoln Continental front sump...sure would have made things easier. Even better would have been if they had made the bolt pattern symetrical, so the pan could have just been rotated 180 degrees. It's pretty much rectangular, so I don't know why they didn't do that since they knew they'd need front and rear sump pans. We'd still be looking for a front sump pick up tube though.
Just for reference...the front sump pick up tube has no place to attach the bracket towards the pick up end on the dohc block. The two bolts at the flange hold it securly just fine though, as it's a pretty short and stout pick up tube. I guess that welded on bracket for the 3rd bolt could be cut off...I just left mine on.