News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

oil pans

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2013-09-11 07:39

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

ok,  thanks for all the info,  this was for a friend of mine.    jerrry

Boss/Cyclone

97 Cougar was Mercury version on T-Bird and built on same rear wheel drive chasis as the Mark VIII.  Came with sohc 4.6 as its only V8 for that year. 
57 Ford two door wagon
67 Shelby GT500 #2100 428, dual quads, 4speed
65 Cyclone drag car, 427, 4speed, ladder bars, etc.
64 Cyclone, Aztec Gold, 289, 4speed
66 Mustang GT fastback 347 5speed 4.22 gears
69 Mustang GT convertible 351 auto

CableguyJJS3

The T-Bird/Cougar/Mark III oils pans are all identical with the exception of the Mark pan with its extra quart sump on the passenger side. The Mustang oil pan is different, but I cant say anything on the Town Car or Continental pans, other than I know the Continetal pan is front sump. SOHC or DOHC for Mark III or Mustang pans are the same, Mark was the only T-Bird/Cougar style that was DOHC, Mustang, the Cobra was DOHC, but no difference with the pans from SOHC to DOHC. You cannot use a Mustang oil pan in a T-Bird/Cougar/MarkVIII it will not fit the frame and I will guarantee that info no matter how smart the guy thinks he is who tells you different. As with everything, it can be made to fit, but not without carving up the cross member. I'd be willing to bet the cheapo oil pans at the major part houses is a Mustang pan, but I could be wrong. All 4.6 equipped 94-97 T-Bird/Cougars are rear wheel drive automatics with IRS, no stick shift was an option in a 4.6 car. Anything anyone wants to know about that generation T-Bird/Cougar or a 4.6, shoot me a message, I've forgotten more about those cars and engines than most people will ever know. Or take a peek through TCCOA.com there is more knowledge and info there than you will ever need.
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

Tom S

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-09-11 11:21
r = 1.776
r  squared =9.909136....
pi = 3.1416
Zap, your math is spot on.  (One misstatement, Pi times r2 =9.909136)

Looks like Ford did some weird rounding off on their liters figure though.

If anybody wants this handy-dandy 550 kb conversion program, convert.exe, it looks like you can download it for free at these places.  Been using it for many years, pretty handy.

http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

http://wscope.com/convert.htm

Zapato

Quote from: Tom S on 2013-09-12 07:50
Zap, your math is spot on.  (One misstatement, Pi times r2 =9.909136)

Looks like Ford did some weird rounding off on their liters figure

Thanks, fixed it. nothing worse than having an example be wrong. All manufactures fudge on their liters figure, this one is really close. most people wouldn't be able to measure any difference specially since we're talking the volume of 8 cylinders.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72