News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Which hat?

Started by robhaerr, 2013-09-19 16:26

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

It may come down to alternating air cleaners, because I can't decide which one I like better...the Edelbrock Elite or Vintage Classic series.

both fit pretty well...

First the Edlebrock Elite series...had it for a few years...

robhaerr

...and now the newer Edelbrock Vintage Classic...

Both go fairly well with the valve covers. I did not really want to go with the matching Edelbrock valve covers, because I really like these due to the fact you don't them very often.

Back to work.

Rob

rmk57

I like the second one and I'd like it even more if it didn't have Edelbrock chiseled into it. :002:
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

I vote the second one also. Really sharp.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

robhaerr

Quote from: rmk57 on 2013-09-19 18:00
I like the second one and I'd like it even more if it didn't have Edelbrock chiseled into it. :002:

Funny...I don't mind it. It is sitting on top of an Edelbrock carb, intake, heads, cam....and it works pretty good for a cruiser 'wagon with plenty o space in it's engine room.

Ford Blue blood

I'm on the second one as well....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

hat first one would look lots better if refinished to match with the valve covers...but I still like the new one.

robhaerr

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-09-20 07:31
hat first one would look lots better if refinished to match with the valve covers...but I still like the new one.

Rich...how would you refinish it? Not sure what you mean.

I do like the size of the first one better. It doesn't extend over part of the distributor.

RICH MUISE

I'd repaint it in a matching black, including the wide rib that runs around the periphery. Just leave the ribs in the middle (and the 'block" with edlebrock) polished. I'd get any work done on those center ribs that may be needed to remove scratches, etc before painting. If I were doing it, I'd try to get those ribs close to a finished surface, mask the ribs using a tape slightly smaller tape than the ribs. The idea here would be just to minimize the amount of paint to be sanded off. Block wet sanding the center ribs (wet or dry 600 or 800-1000?), being careful not to damage painted sufaces, should give a nice crisp paint line on the ribs. I wouldn't try to mask the final edge..just wouldn't look right I don't think. From the you can polish to match the valve covers if you need something beyond the 1000 paper.
Before you do that however, you may want to check a hidden area of the casting just to make sure it's not anodized. You'd be in for alot of work if it is.

Ford Blue blood

Sand with6, 8, 12 and then 2000, all wet, looks polished when done.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

robhaerr

Man... I thought I did a good job just getting the black paint in there!

First one does need some cleaning.

RICH MUISE

Rob..Maybe it's the way it photographed....the first one looks grey, not like the black in the valve covers. Wasn't knocking your work or the air cleaner...just saying why I thought the second one looked better with the matching paint colors.

hiball3985

I'd be more concerned about not having windshield wipers  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Thor

I like the Edelbrock Vintage Classic. To me it compliments the overall look better. Ultimately though its what you like, not anyone else. 8)

robhaerr

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-09-21 07:33
Rob..Maybe it's the way it photographed....the first one looks grey, not like the black in the valve covers. Wasn't knocking your work or the air cleaner...just saying why I thought the second one looked better with the matching paint colors.

Yeah...also dirty in the black that made it look grey. Cool idea to paint the surrounding edge black!

Thanks for the conversation and ideas.