News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Stainless Steel fastener sealer

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-09-25 22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I think that there was a post about this earlier, but I can't find it.
What is the sealer that is used on the stainless steel fasteners to help keep water from entering the bolt holes on the body?  I'll be needing some very soon.
   Thanks for any and all answers.

Frankenstein57

I've seen old school body guys call it dum dum, not sure of the correct name.  Rich?????

RICH MUISE

3m caulking strips. You may want to pick up 2 boxes...the stuff is great for sealing  the inside of the cowl. I worked in quite a bit in there after scraping out all the old hardened stuff and sandblasting, por-15'ing. Inside the cowl you won't be able to reach the ends, or most of the seams with a caulking gun and regular seam sealer.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I used "Plumbers" caulk.  Old plumbers used it to seal drain fixtures in sinks and such.  Does not harden, gets a "skin" that will take and hold paint.  Used it in the 66 Falcon Ranchero I built sealing the bed cover and never got a leak in the seven plus years it was used and parked outdoors.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Never thought of plumbers caulk. That was a good suggestion...and certainly easier to find than the 3m caulking strips. Maybe not quite as sticky or  fluid as the strips, but still should work.

Frankenstein57

I'm a plumber and I'm not sure what you mean, are you referring to the latex based caulk in a tube?, or plumbers putty? Mark

57chero

I'm a plumber also , if your talking about plumbers putty we still use it and I don't think I'm that old. 

RICH MUISE

I'm sure gary Bill (oops)and I both meant plummer's putty...not caulk. At least I did...don't even know what plummer's caulk would be.

Limey57

Dum-Dum, its available in tins from various restoration outlets (Eastwood do it).  You tear out some of the stuff & roll it into lengths, not particularly cheap but works well and sticks to almost anything & doesn't dry out & crack.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: 57chero on 2013-09-27 00:04
I'm a plumber also , if your talking about plumbers putty we still use it and I don't think I'm that old.

Yes I ment to say plumbers putty...not caulk.  I didn't mean to imply you guys were old....just that there hasn't been anything else put out there that does the job as well....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-09-27 02:49
I'm sure gary Bill (oops)and I both meant plummer's putty...not caulk. At least I did...don't even know what plummer's caulk would be.
Sorry Bill...some of us ARE old. Plummer's putty is one of those things you can keep on your shelf for 20 or 30 years and it'll still be good.