News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Not quite done, but almost there

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-10-23 09:58

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Lots of us have used the kit that is at least very similar to Jay's. What's got me wondering if it's the Southwest thunderbirds kit is the fact that it's plated. All the kits I've seen are black painted. I've heard of a kit that has a 7/8 diameter bar, the southwest t'bird kit uses 1 1/8. Southwest t'bird has them manufactured for them, and Concourse is a distributor. You can order it from either, price is the same I believe, and both are listed in our list of suppier links. They also make a rear sway bar kit.
a pic of mine for reference, and also for reference....when both Jay and I mount our front bumper brackets, we'll have to move the plates that are bolted to the frame so the bumper brackets can be sandwiched inbetween...thus retaining the oem bumper bracket locations.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

Thanks for the information.

Rich, where did you get the black cover from that covers the large hole where the steering shaft passes through the bulkhead?  Like you've I've junked the original steering box set up (mine has a Wurth kit installed) and I was going to fabricate a replacement cover that also locates the lower steering column, but being lazy if there's an off-the-shelf piece of kit I'll use that instead!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ecode70D

Bill and Rich
     Thanks for the information on the sway bars.  Now Gary in England has some names to work with.
      I miked the diameter of mine today and it is 1" thick.

So Rich  It looks like the inner bumper brackets will go in the original place and the outer will go outside of the sway bar support.  Right?   When I do get around to hooking up the front bumper, I'll just keep all the bolts loose until I get them all started.
Jay   

OOPS!   Rich I just re read what you wrote earlier.   That makes good sense. Now I got it.
Jay

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Limey57 on 2013-10-25 11:20
Thanks for the information.

Rich, where did you get the black cover from that covers the large hole where the steering shaft passes through the bulkhead?  Like you've I've junked the original steering box set up (mine has a Wurth kit installed) and I was going to fabricate a replacement cover that also locates the lower steering column, but being lazy if there's an off-the-shelf piece of kit I'll use that instead!
I'm always amazes at how often I unintentionally hijack someone's thread...sorry Jay
Limey. I made it....quick and easy. Here's a link to the thread with pics, including the firewall support behind it. page 2 of the thread, about 1/2 way down. If you have any questions on it, just add it to that thread so we can keep it intact.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=518.15#lastPost
As I had said in that thread, in hindsight, I would have cut the flange around that opening off and welded it shut before I painted everything up. Then just a small hole for the 3/4" shafting and a support bearing.
Rich

Ecode70D

Don't worry Rich...   You are not hijacking my thread. 

Ecode70D

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2013-10-23 21:21
Nice looking sedan :003:

Mark...Do you remember this custom steering wheel?  I finally got around to installing it in my car.

hotroddonnie

Car looks great! I didn't see it before it was painted, interior looks in great condition as well... hard to find a steering wheel that's not cracked and chipped.

Ecode70D

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2013-10-27 18:54
Car looks great! I didn't see it before it was painted, interior looks in great condition as well... hard to find a steering wheel that's not cracked and chipped.

hotroddonnie
  That custom wheel was  a driver quality one when I bought it with some cracks and was good enough to use as is.  I'm told that they came on the very cheap models like taxis, police cars and 70D models.
  During the winter I repaired it and kept at home, then later installed it around the time the car got painted. Jay

Frankenstein57

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-10-26 20:55
Mark...Do you remember this custom steering wheel?  I finally got around to installing it in my car.
Looks good Jay! glad you gave it a good home,    Mark

LAUDY57

Looking at the pics of the front sway bar mount, can someone give me the measurement from the end of the frame to the CL of the first and/or second bolt hole? The ends of my frame were trimmed so I want to see if can make a mount for that front sway bar.
Nobody answered about the rear bar -anybody have a pic?
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

hiball3985

Quote from: LAUDY57 on 2013-10-29 11:47
Looking at the pics of the front sway bar mount, can someone give me the measurement from the end of the frame to the CL of the first and/or second bolt hole? The ends of my frame were trimmed so I want to see if can make a mount for that front sway bar.
Nobody answered about the rear bar -anybody have a pic?
The best I could measure was 1" to the center of the first hole and 7" to the center of the rear.. Doesn't look like you are missing much..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

LAUDY57

Thanks Jim - I was hoping that it was that close. Now I can order the sway bars.

RICH MUISE

Lorne...mine eyeballed a little different. Look at the pic I posted earlier in this thread. My front bolt is pretty much in line with the centerline of the most forward section of the sway bar, and about 6" center to center to the back hole. The center of the forward sway bar is also pretty much in line with the leading egde of the ribbed core support brace, if you still have it.
Fortunatly for you also, the sway bar jogs inwards a few inches where it attaches to the supports. From your pic, that jog may just make it work without a major headache.

hiball3985

Heres were I took the measurements from if I understood the question correctly.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

LAUDY57

Yes Rich, it was your pic I was looking at (Encode's was too far away) and could see where the bar was going by the ribbed section. It looks like I can modify the mount, I have wanted to clean up the ends of the frame because they look rough. Both you and Jim's measurements seem the same. Thanks guys!