News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Not quite done, but almost there

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-10-23 09:58

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-10-30 00:08
Heres were I took the measurements from if I understood the question correctly.
I went back and reread Lorne's request. Hiball..you had it correct, I didn't. I thought he was looking for the bolt holes to where the actual sway bar was.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Well here's my contribution.  I agree with Jim and Rich's measurements. They figure out the same way.   From front of frame to center of first hole is 1" and from front of frame to center of second hole is 7 ".  The only thing that I can add to this is that the front my plate is set back about 1/8" from the front of the frame. The lower plate lip is 1" wide and is drilled with two sets of mounting holes for the sway bar.  See pics.   

LAUDY57

"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

wildhog

I talked to harry last night and he said ,it was a straight forward installation, and could be done in a couple of hours and there was no welding to mount the rear sway bar. I am sure harry will add some more detail.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Ecode70D

Quote from: wildhog on 2013-10-30 15:39
I talked to harry last night and he said ,it was a straight forward installation, and could be done in a couple of hours and there was no welding to mount the rear sway bar. I am sure harry will add some more detail.

I would like to learn more about that rear sway bar.  Maybe a link to it?

Harry

I purchased both front and rear anti sway bars from Thunderbirds Southwest.
The front bar was real easy and straight forward, about 2 hours by my self.
The rear was easy, but you need about 3 hands just to make it easier, I did it myself and it took about 3 hours and should of taken 1 hour.
Bolt on assembly, you have to either drill and tap 2 holes for the upper link mount to the frame or it would be easier to weld the to small mounts to the frame.
The kit I feel was well worth the work.
My ride is the 57 Sunliner and made it handle a lot better.Tom thanks my car rides higher than normal (which it does) but that was how we set or cars up back in the 60,s.
If you call Thunderbird Southwest they will fax you a mounting instructions, It is just a sketch but very simple.

Ecode70D

Harry
    Thanks for that information on the rear sway bar.   I'll get in touch with Thunderbird Southwest and get the scoop from them on the mounting instructions.  Sounds like it is easy enough to do.   I like the idea that it's mostly bolt in. Jay

LAUDY57

I've ordered the bars, I'll take pics before and after mounting on the rear one. Expensive parts to get into the north!

RICH MUISE

Dey be heby! Dat aint no litewait stuf. chipin mite ben cheepr from Concours, dey be in Nevaduh

LAUDY57

I just gave the parts guy the Concours part number, but you're right about the shipping, he more of less said the same thing -maybe not the same accent though! lol

Jeff Norwell

Laudy----don't know how far you are from a border town.. but i use a company called Kinek.... they have holding warehouse's all along the US border with Kanuckistan,.... Very cheap and reasonable.....
They will hold anything.... full service for loading(engines cars,etc,etc......)
I have an account in Buffalo
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

LAUDY57

I used to live a couple of miles from the border, now I'm about 60 mi and a FERRY ($)away. I order stuff from a 57 guy that brings the parts across the border and delivers, even Ebay stuff from sellers that won't ship to canuckistan. Right now I'm in Phoenix so I'm going to check out the cleaner/wax stuff prices that were talked about on another thread. Thanks for the tip though!

RICH MUISE

"Right now I'm in Phoenix..." Lorne If you haven't found it already..check out www.cruisinarizona.com   their events listings are always pretty complete. This weekend, 3 local shows and one in Casa Grande ( where Desert Valley auto parts- south is) Next weekend is the big Goodguys show. Have fun....my wife and I miss Phoenix already, and we've only been home for a few weeks. Great time of the year for the Pavilion cruise! Saturday
Rich

LAUDY57

We're trying to fit in cruises, missed the boat drags, going to the Nascar race, enjoying the sun, parts shoppin' -too much fun! Watching  Arizona Autoscene site, got to see the Car Chaser show (we don't get Veloc tv at home), can't stay for the goodguys show. Still thinking about Ecode's plated? sway bar.

RICH MUISE

Jay's is the only one I've seen plated, and he did say it was 1". Maybe another manufacturer?