News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Sounds like you had a tough year, but another birthday, so compared to the alternative, it ain't so bad....easy for me to say right? lol.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lucky'57

LOL.. You never know how it's gonna shake up Mr. Rich. That's why U got it going down the road. You (well, next to that Canadian guy with the wagon) you guys are neck and neck.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

RICH MUISE

Been almost 3 months since this thread was active.....I'll get it going again with a rant....hasn't been a good day.
Besides dealing with a new, not-housebroken, puppy my wife wanted to replace my dog that we lost a few weeks ago, my '57 is giving me starting issues again. Had to have it towed home last night. I think it's the solenoid that I replaced early this year...getting juice to the solenoid, at least enough to light up the test light, upon key activation, but not getting any starter action at all. My buddy's shop is filled up, as is the starter shop that was two blocks away from where I got stuck, so had to have it towed home, then to the starter shop this morning. The starter is just too hard to get out unless the car is on a lift...at least for this old man.
While I was waiting for the tow truck this morning, the mailman delivered a letter from my insurance company (Grundy) saying they would not be renewing my policy due to the accident I had this year. I had been worrying about that. I also had a speeding ticket back in feb of '15, and that speeding ticket, I just found out, coupled with the accident is the reason I can't get insured with the USAA affiliate American Collector. Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to get it insured at all, or at least at a reasonable rate. I sure won't drive it uninsured. Makes me wonder if I'm going to have to sell it.

racton

:unitedstates:   Hi Rich, glad to see someone else misses the thread.Thanks for getting it going.What kind of puppy?We have a female red-bone mini-dashund and love her to death.We are looking for a young male to keep her company.We are in Ohio and got our pup in Mich.Anybody half close to me with a male mini-give me a shout.Good luck..

RICH MUISE

My wife likes the little dogs...we have had a Pug and a chihuawa (sp) mix, both for about 10 years now. My dog was a 126 lb Malmute/Husky....not sure as she was a stray my next door neighbor was given. I thought she was a Siberian Husky, but recently saw a show with Alaskan Malmutes that looked identical to Shinka. She died a few weeks back...gonna miss her. Incredibly gentle and smart dog. About 5 years ago, one of our adopted stray cats had a litter outside ...didn't even know she was pregnant. I was at the computer and heard Shinka come in and came to me. I wasn't paying attention to her, and she started this strange muffled growling. I looked down and she had a newborn kitten in her mouth. She just dropped it in my hands, totally unharmed.
To answer your question, my wife's new pup is a 4 month old Jack Russell, with papers, she got from her cousin.

Ford Blue blood

Rich I feel your pain with the insurance issue.  I for many years ran my 36 with only liability.  USAA had no "collectable" carrier.  When the collector market blew open I went with Hagerty, been happy with them and the rates.  Tried to get a $1M blanket from USAA, they wouldn't do it because I was with Hagerty.  Their affiliate's rates were almost twice what Hagerty was charging me for the exact same coverage.  Don't know if I'll do anything, USAA is so cheap compared to the other major carriers it would just cost too much to switch.

You'll just have to balance the cost to build/re-build against the cost of the policy.  It was easy for me, at the time the 36 was a four year piece it together with junk yard parts, swap work, trade parts, cobbled up car that turned out pretty nice.  Did not have a lot of money (bunches of time) in it so the loss would have been minimal.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

The American Collectors Insurance agent told me they've had an affiliation with usaa for over 30 years!! I, like you was always told they just didn't insure cars over a certain age.
I'm going to try Haggerty's to see what their requirements are. Last year they gave me a quote almost double what Grundy was. As per Grundy's suggestion when they sent the non-renewal notice, I need to check into "eligibility for coverage thru the Texas Automobile Insurance Plan".

Had the '57 back in 3 hours yesterday, btw. They told me the starter was totally fried, like it never disengaged after the engine started. Weird, I never heard anything unusual anytime I started the car.

rmk57

I'd have a look at the ring gear while you have the starter out just to make sure it didn't mess something up running the car with starter engaged or an issue with the ring gear before that happened.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

I really don't think it was caused by the starter not disengaging...I've never had anything but a normal start with it. At any rate, I had the starter shop do all the work, and they are Hamb member hot rodders as well, so I'm sure they probably looked at it, but I never thought to ask.
On a better note today, it looks like Hagerty is going to insure me. They're just waiting for pics to confirm the damage from the accident was repaired. They were talking like they had all my info on file from last year's application, but they did ask for pics, so I'm not sure that they have the pics I sent them on file. That means I may be getting a notice from them saying that "after viewing the pics, they have determined that my car is 100% modified" as they did last year, with a hefty increase in premium. Oh well, I was expecting that to happen as a minimum after my accident, so I'll just have to live with it...at least I'll have insurance.

gasman826

Just got home last night from a day and half at the Ducktail Run in Gas City Indiana.  Other than being super tired, great event in a town that gears up for the show.  Ducktail Run is somewhat of a memorial to James Dean in his home town.  Got some treasures at the swap meet (Y-block PS pumps with brackets and '41 Ford wall hanger grille) and pigged out on car show cuisine.  All '57 models represented...Canadian, wagons, Rancheros, Customs, and Fairlanes.   Good show to add to your bucket list!!!!!!!!!!!

Zapato

Yesterday my gran daughters came over, first ritual was adding coins ( pennies) to their piggy banks. Then outside to play. First stop was the grape arbor for a quick snack. Then the bikes and scooters were drug out. While helping the youngest (3 year old) fasten her helmet she tells me "Papa I love you". I replied the same and then she says "when I get big I'm going to marry you". So I asked what about Nana? Without any hesitation her reply "she just get another boy". Made my day and a good laugh on a day that had been designated to a half bath redo. Few things better than an afternoon well spent with gran kids. This is my story and am sticking to it.

The bathroom redo? Yes, it got done late into the evening. Honey do list current score Zap 1 List ??
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Got home late last night with the '57 from the Fort Worth Goodguys show. Did 2 of the 3 days. Everything was great, good drive both ways with no major issues, and that was close to 900 mile round trip with my trip to Oklahome after the Friday show. There was great attendance at the show. I was there early Friday and I was number 1601, and Saturday was much bigger, so I'm guessing they had their expected 2500 cars.
On Saturday I parked next to what turned out to be a group of 5 guys from Amarillo I didn't know, so I now have some new local friends. I was getting some really nice compliments on the car all day. One of the Amarillo guys is a collector, mainly mopars. He told me he was a mopar guy, but was going to look at adding a Ford to his collection. I asked him what he was looking at, and he replied..."yours"! He said he had brought some cash with him in case he saw something of interest for sale. He offered 35K in 100 dollar bills. ....."cash today and you can drive it home and I'll pick it up at your house...seriously". I thanked him for the offer, but told him "no....I spent 11 years building this thing and I really need to drive it". He said I hadn't heard the last of him yet.
The show was typical....only 4 '57 Fords including mine, no '58's, 3 '59's. There were probably in excess of 100 tri five Chevy's. I've got to admit I was really disapointed in the showing of mid-50's and newer Fords. Only a few that were exceptionable, yet every time I turned around there were GM's of every year and make that were pure jewels. There had to be 2-300 cars there that had in excess of 150K invested, and a handful of trailer queens that probably were in excess of 250K. Maybe the best was a '60 dodge Phoenix that was amazing...and powered by a Ford Coyote!

Ecode70D

Rich
    I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with Grundy.  Sounds like the antique insurance people are getting tough.  Hopefully Hagerty will get you squared away.  Jay

RICH MUISE

Thanks Jay...I was kind of expecting it, but was sure hoping they wouldn't cancel...they are a really good insurance company as far as covering losses. My only gripe is something I just found out when they sent me the non-renewal notice. They said the reason for cancellation was 5400% loss factor. By my calculations, that means the building I damaged got about 13,000 for replacing a sheetmetal panel and posibly an overhead door tract. I know they never replaced the panel. Makes me wonder if the building appraiser made a deal with the building's owner.

Jeff Norwell

Rich, We don't have Grundy up here..but Hagerty is here...My old Insurance company was bought out by Hagerty and my premium on my 2 32 Fords rose by 30%.I switched to a company called Zehr...and the premiums were dropped down for 2 vehicles by 40%!. I have heard of insurance companies dropping folks after 1 mishap.... I am not sure this is universal.....
I went to Zehr for insurance on my 57 and because the value is under 10k(right now)... the premium is only 100 bucks a year.
Hope you get all straightened out.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com